share game data between Windows 10 & Ubuntu 16.04

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

michaelbr

share game data between Windows 10 & Ubuntu 16.04

Post by michaelbr »

Is it possible to share game data between Windows 10 & Ubuntu 16.04? If so, how can I do it? I installed Wesnoth in my D drive and put the game data in the same dir as the installation one.
Thanks for your comment/suggestion.
Michael
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: share game data between Windows 10 & Ubuntu 16.04

Post by Pentarctagon »

Ubuntu should be able to read NTFS without any problem, so you could probably create a link for the Ubuntu Wesnoth that points to the Windows Wesnoth userdata directory. I've never dual booted though, so a guess is the best I can do.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I dual boot windows 10 and linux mint. Setting up automounted shared folder is not difficult, and later you can just pass the paths to each wesnoth.

Though I decided not to share everything - copying preferences and private addons was enough for me.

/etc/fstab addition with my windows UUID

Code: Select all

UUID=927E533C7E5317F5 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,locale=en_US.utf8  0 0
Use blkid to get your windows UUID.
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

Ravana wrote:I dual boot windows 10 and linux mint. Setting up automounted shared folder is not difficult, and later you can just pass the paths to each wesnoth.

Though I decided not to share everything - copying preferences and private addons was enough for me.

/etc/fstab addition with my windows UUID

Code: Select all

UUID=927E533C7E5317F5 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,locale=en_US.utf8  0 0
Use blkid to get your windows UUID.
Thanks for your reply Ravana, when you said not to share everything, does it mean that if you're in the middle of a scenario, you can't continue to play in another OS? The code above is just to mount ntfs partition in Linux, right?
Michael
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

Pentarctagon wrote:Ubuntu should be able to read NTFS without any problem, so you could probably create a link for the Ubuntu Wesnoth that points to the Windows Wesnoth userdata directory. I've never dual booted though, so a guess is the best I can do.
Thanks, I'll give it a try, just installed it, but haven't played yet in Ubuntu.
Michael
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Yes. Admittedly I dont really play nowadays, I prefer to observe. See wesnoth --userconfig-dir and wesnoth --userdata-dir if you want everything shared.
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

Ravana wrote:Yes. Admittedly I dont really play nowadays, I prefer to observe. See wesnoth --userconfig-dir and wesnoth --userdata-dir if you want everything shared.
Thanks Ravana for the tip, I'll take a look.
Michael