Mainline Campaign Feedback

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Britannicus

Mainline Campaign Feedback

Post by Britannicus »

I was wondering to what extent Mainline Campaign feedback is generally considered and how active the maintainers generally are.

I've recently gotten back into Wesnoth and want to play all the Mainline Campaigns again. I'd love to leave feedback as well, but frankly, if you want to provide relevant feedback that goes beyond 3 numbers, it takes up quite a lot of time. Are the Mainline maintainers mostly active and reading the feedback? (Of course, reacting to it is something else entirely.)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Mainline Campaign Feedback

Post by zookeeper »

I do tend to read new feedback posts for the campaigns I maintain. I don't really post replies except when there seems to be confusion about something, or the feedback indicates a bug in the scenario, etc.

There's not really an active campaign balancing effort that's always ongoing, so feedback that doesn't indicate major problems that need immediate fixing will usually mostly provide helpful later when someone is working on a given scenario/campaign. If one is doing some tweaking or redesigning some aspect of a scenario, it's very useful to have multiple recent'ish feedback posts handy so one can assess whether their changes are likely to move the difficulty in the right direction, or whether there's something that players tend to find annoying about the scenario that should be fixed at the same time, and so on. It also gives a good idea of which scenarios are the least liked ones that should be prioritized, and which ones are good as-is and shouldn't be tampered with lightly.

So, campaign rebalancing is something that tends to happen sporadically instead of being a continuous chain of small tweaks based on feedback as it comes in (unless, as said, there's a serious problem), so unfortunately people posting feedback often don't see how and when their feedback actually ends up making a difference.

Of course, if you find that you don't have the time or inclination to post a detailed feedback report on every scenario, it's perfectly okay to for example post only about the scenarios you find particularly lacking in comparison to the others. After all, trying to make the worst scenarios at least average is always more of a priority than trying to make the average scenarios great.