Main menu background

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Main menu background

Post by doofus-01 »

WTrawi wrote: if Rodick's idea makes it into a new release then his new background as well (I prefer the current one, but if the menu bar and the logo would be placed so there wouldn't be such a big gap in the middle then it would be cool).
I don't know where those images came from, and unless someone can confirm that they are really OK to use in GPL or CC, they shouldn't be considered "Rodick's backgrounds" or in any way "fair game" for Wesnoth or add-ons.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The first one seems to be from here. I'm not sure how to tell what license it'd under though.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Pentarctagon wrote:The first one seems to be from here. I'm not sure how to tell what license it'd under though.
"All original works found in the DeviantArt galleries are the copyrighted property of the submitting artist. If you want to use a work you will need to ask permission from the artist, who is free to set whatever terms and conditions they wish. You should always ask permission before using any work which was created by another artist." D.A. FAQ 94

So, not available.

In the past, there was a background of Konrad looking out over a clifftop, IIRC. But it didn't look great.

At first, I didn't like the map background, but it has grown on me. The map we have now is very nice, IMO. Many thanks to zookeeper and others who worked on that.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The curremt image works fine, although looking at it on a smaller scale I think the Wesnoth logo could be bigger. :whistle:
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I didn't mean exactly the ones he posted, just the idea that there should be a painting instead of the map. I see I caused a lot of misunderstanding here, really sorry for that :lol:
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
Rodick

Post by Rodick »

WTrawi wrote:I didn't mean exactly the ones he posted, just the idea that there should be a painting instead of the map. I see I caused a lot of misunderstanding here, really sorry for that :lol:
Yup, I didnt mean exactly those :D. It was just samples. And we have nice images in game alredy that we could use.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Moved to the Users' forum, since this is really a discussion about the main menu background image, rather than anyone actually creating a replacement.

Also, though this is not (yet) a rule, please provide sources for where you find art that is not your own.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

For the record, while both the images Rodick posted are quite nice, I don't think either of them fit Wesnoth very well. The first feels far too "rugged" while the second appears to have a Japanese Shinto shrine gate.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

I think it is indispensable to the Wesnoth's background to have the world map of Wesnoth. Some ideas can be:

Two travellers looking at the map: (Lord Bob's image)
Intro_3a.jpg
Intro_3a.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
Some kind of underground temple with a gate, and the map on this gate:
end.jpg
Note: the images aren't the "official" images of the idea, they are only descriptive.
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf