Do you save and reload? If so, why?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

code4life

Do you save and reload? If so, why?

Post by code4life »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to put my $0.02 here. I'm not 100% sure if you're asking to find out why people are doing this, or if you're just trying to posit your opinion on this topic. But one of the most puzzling things about this game is the lack of transparency over the actual to-hit numbers. The to-hit numbers, which is the primary reason why we position the units the way we do, are actually inaccurate. Why? Simple - it completely ignores all potential modifiers, which especially afflict the player in the single player campaigns, but potentially anywhere the scenario designer wishes to put these in. So that 80% chance to hit that you're looking at, really might be a measly 40% when all is said and done. And that 40% chance to hit that the enemy orc unit has? That's most likely an 80%, really. So bunch up your units. Bunch them up real good, because they are going to mostly miss, and the enemy will mostly hit.

The odd combat skewing that's allowed in the game is the most annoying and "don't-want-to-play-it-anymore" feature of Wesnoth. Why isn't this fixed? I honestly don't know. Why doesn't someone make the change, so that the actual to-hit numbers are reflected? Because apparently, the game developers and "experts" on the forum never play campaigns. That's my theory. Otherwise, they are most definitely, yes, definitely, "save-scumming", to use this post's phrase.
taptap

Re: Do you save and reload? If so, why?

Post by taptap »

What are you talking about? There simply are no hidden modifiers in normal gameplay, the transparency about numbers and their meaning is one of the major advantages over many games that show you numbers, but not what is computed with them. The game even gives you comprehensive statistics and the overall difference to expected results, look at your savefiles: do you have -50% damage dealt and +100% damage received, if not you are wrong (and people consistently in positive luck indeed saveload or do something that gives similar results, e.g. lot of attempts at a scenario). Try posting replays and looking at replays from others ... you will learn something. Time much better spent than misinforming players here.

(Rarely there are forced results in story events in campaigns, but that is about it.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Split from here. When a thread is that old, you should really just start your own and reference the ancient one if it has useful information.

What you describe is certainly possible, but I would expect it is never done without warning player, as it could harm authors reputation.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

As taptap said, you're simply mistaken. The chance to hit that the game displays is the chance to hit you get, no hidden modifiers, and that's how it's always been.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I agree with the OP- I feel as though because there are on average very few attempts to hit, probably 3-3.5 swings per round, that this nulls out the probabilities. If you were to simulate an instance 100 times then you would approach expected numbers (think of the dataset for finding the Higgs boson for example), but as it stands you could probably simulate each confrontation with a coin toss and get similar results to in game play. Anyhow, the battle mechanics are an acquired taste and the powers that be like it that way.
OP if you are in 1.12 check out the mod in my sig, maybe that will be more to your tastes.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I don't quite understand what do you mean. I try to refrain from loading as much as possible or start the whole scenario anew, but the save and reload method is used to skew the RNG so that you get high luck numbers, it is the only reliable method of skewing the RNG i know of that can give you huge luck numbers throughout the whole scenario. It can be rightfuly called cheating, it is an exploit. If you reload until you get good RNG numbers then that does kind of break the RNG. Overall I think reloading itself can affect the RNG significantly but that is kind of questionable.

Now, getting significant luck is obviously possible without all that but its just luck, it comes and goes. The to hit chances reflect the average to hit chance and it is unlikely to vary significantly from the to hit chance, though it can happen. But usually if you do not uset he save and load method (though I think there are some units that can affect RNG) if you are provided a large sample size then the overall luck should be more or less even, if you get unlucky with one unit you will get lucky with other.