Direction of sun movement

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which is more intuitive for YOU?

Sun moves left to right
56%
Sun moves right to left
44%

Total votes: 71

turin
Lord of the East

Direction of sun movement

Post by turin »

Do not make your decision based on how easy the change would be, OK? Assume that right now we do not have either image, and we are deciding which to make when we do make it.

So... which would, for YOU, be more intuitive - the sun moves from left to right, which is supposed to look as if you are in a northerly latitude looking south, or the sun moves from right to left, which is supposed to look like you are in a northerly latitude looking north?

(here's a crudely drawn comparison to show what i mean)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

This is really weird. The poll seems to reveal a near-perfectly-even split of opinion. The fact that people's intuitions can be so evenly divided into two opposing cases...

OK, fine, maybe I only find it fascinating because I'm a psych major.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Sangel wrote:This is really weird. The poll seems to reveal a near-perfectly-even split of opinion.
Maybe it suggests that there's a near-perfect split between the two types of gamers: those who have ever been outdoors, and those who shun "the big room," and think of the sun as something that moves across an abstract map, not a real object in the sky.

If you trace the arc of the sun (or moon or planets) with your arm, you will inevitably trace from left to right, because if you tried to trace from right to left, your arm would have to go behind your body, and arms don't bend that way (at least not easily). Or you'd have to bend over backwards so far that you'd probably end up falling on your keister. Either way, the notion of the sun moving from right to left is associated with pain. :o

But if all you've ever seen of the world outside your (parent's) basement is on maps, then I suppose it might make sense to think of the sun as moving from right to left. But, oh, what a sad, sad existence. :cry:

Ok, ok, I'll quit teasing now. But I'll leave you with this final thought. The ancient Chinese drew their maps with south being up. Wouldn't this whole issue be much simpler if we were all ancient Chinese? Um, ancient Chinese with Pentium-powered PCs, of course. :D
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

xtifr wrote:Maybe it suggests that there's a near-perfect split between the two types of gamers: those who have ever been outdoors, and those who shun "the big room," and think of the sun as something that moves across an abstract map, not a real object in the sky.
Or that there are more of us southern hemisphere types around than you think... See the player locations map on the Wiki (and add yourself to the map).
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

ott wrote: Or that there are more of us southern hemisphere types around than you think...
No, I just assumed you people stood on your head to play. Are you trying to convince me that you don't? :wink:
theCAS

Post by theCAS »

I think about the sun movement using the standard western clock-wise or left-to-right.

A option to flip orizontally the images would be handy.
emdot

Post by emdot »

I am from northern hemisphere and voted right-to-left because IMO its playing better with maps of Wesnoth east on the right, west on the left. Sun moving in opposite direction is intuitive only when thinking about these things apart. Seeing them besides each other and contradicting would be strange.
Kristo

Post by Kristo »

I grew up in a house that faced south, so I'm used to the sun rising on my left and setting on my right. However, I would suggest that you not change the pictures. It took me about two scenarios to get used to the pictures as they are now (i.e., the length of the tutorial). I don't want to have to un-learn that.

Since the votes are so evenly split, maybe this would make a good option to set in Preferences.

Kristo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kristo wrote:I grew up in a house that faced south, so I'm used to the sun rising on my left and setting on my right. However, I would suggest that you not change the pictures. It took me about two scenarios to get used to the pictures as they are now (i.e., the length of the tutorial). I don't want to have to un-learn that.

Since the votes are so evenly split, maybe this would make a good option to set in Preferences.

Kristo
This is what i've been saying; make it a preference!
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Now that I have 'clicked', and internalised that the time indicator is a south-facing view, I can relate it correctly to my own physical location and suddenly left-to-right feels much more sensible. Otherwise I was going to cast two votes, one for each option :-)
Kiith

Post by Kiith »

I voted for the current system as i've always linked the time of day indicator to the direction of the movement of the sun i.e. rising in the east (right) and setting in the west (left) relative to the battlefield map.
dms

Post by dms »

Right to left, because it just seems right to me.

Probably becasue I'm in the southern hemisphere...
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Maybe sun direction is east->west? :wink:
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: Direction of sun movement

Post by Rhuvaen »

turin wrote:So... which would, for YOU, be more intuitive - the sun moves from left to right, which is supposed to look as if you are in a northerly latitude looking south, or the sun moves from right to left, which is supposed to look like you are in a northerly latitude looking north?
Umm... looking north from a northerly lattitude you won't see the sun at all :lol: . Does that answer the question? Also, movement from left to right is clockwise, and analogous clocks even in this digital age are a world-wide symbol of time passing.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

We need here learn about heliocentrical teory
Earth move around sun,not sun around earth :wink: