Remake Goblin Defense and movement

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DwarvenWarrior

Remake Goblin Defense and movement

Post by DwarvenWarrior »

Hello

I noticed that goblins have identical defense and movement cost as an orc. I was particularly looking at mushrooms: orcs have low defense and high move cost. It makes sense because an orc is larger than human and cannot easily take cover under the mushrooms. Exactly opposite of dwarves (increased defense by 10%)

however, since goblins are relatively low size, mushroom should give then a defense advantage (50% instead of 40%). you can see that orc assasin have higher defense in mushroom due to its size too, and due to its agility.

that is the most importnant point. However, a good replacement would be to make goblins have same as human movement cost (hard to move in swamp, and also to defend in it, due to small size)

what do you think?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Remake Goblin Defense and movement

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

As a player who thinks that goblins are complete crap...I agree...They could use a buff on terrain defence and MP costs.
Orcish Assassin has elusive feet and not orcish feet MP type, so it should say the same.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Mushroom defense update seems logical thing to do.
I, on the other hand, think goblins should excel defending in swamps but retain slow movement therein.
Goblins are useful as they have pierce damage in melee.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

It wasn't actually that long ago when Goblins were buffed - they used to be 8 cost but deal merely 5-3 damage. 6-3's actually very very good for a 9 cost unit - it actually puts it up there for highest damage per gold in the game, surprisingly, at a straight up 2-1 ratio at base (not even the ultra high-power Horseman gets that much!), with the added bonus of costing no upkeep whatsoever. Defensively they're weak but offensively they're very good value if you use them right, and I think that's on purpose, making them like tiny glass cannons. I think therefore any efforts to make them more defensible in certain conditions ought to be really scrutinized, because they're really not supposed to be holding ground at all. The entire point of a Goblin is that they're disposable temporary meatshields to just throw out en masse if you really need a roadblock so it'd be weird if they were somewhat tougher to kill at times.
DwarvenWarrior

Post by DwarvenWarrior »

bump

has this been implementeD?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Why don't you check instead of bringing back a year-old thread?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide