Is it reasonable to play most campaigns without recalling?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shinigami936

Is it reasonable to play most campaigns without recalling?

Post by Shinigami936 »

I feel like I worry about experienced units dying too much. I want to stop caring.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Is it reasonable to play most campaigns without recallin

Post by Iris »

If you can manage it, sure, why not.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'd expect it to be quite feasible in most cases. Maybe not in the hardest campaigns and/or on hardest difficulties.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It's not hard to do with HttT at least.

I don't think I've tried it with any of the others. I would expect that in many cases it'd be less about the campaigns overall 'difficulty' rating and more about their design. Some campaigns are rather reliant on the player having capabilities that the only get from leveled units (leveled mages, leveled ghosts, leadership ect.). In those cases, it might be rather difficult to the point of being infeasible.

If HttT without recalling is too easy for you, Liberty might be another good one to try. I haven't done it but the outlaws generally get roughly the same utility out of their low level units as their high level ones (minus skirmishing rouges/assassins).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
DwarvenWarrior

Post by DwarvenWarrior »

but it will not be fun :|
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Depends how you get your 'fun'.

For me it isn't that different than how I normally play save that I normally recall leaders and healers and on difficult missions or ones that require special skills I'll splurge on veterans. In a way, it is kind of fun to fight your way through challenges without those advantages as it encourages you to play in a more aggressive way.

For some people, it's fun to run around with your high level army of carefully groomed veterans and smash enemies with the quality of your troops while trying to keep them all alive. In my experience, these people tend to struggle a lot with many of the harder campaigns and find them frustrating. To some extent this was me when I first played Wesnoth but I've since learned that not only is it easier to not do that but more enjoyable overall. If this is your thing, I'd generally suggest that a series like Fire Emblem is more what you're looking for.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

It is true that it can be hard to upgrade, fight with, and keep alive, a group of veterans however i personally find the most satisfaction in doing just that. By the later scenarios of some campaigns i have not recruited any units (tough as it was). My personal style as can be seen by my add-on Reign of the Lords which is designed to allow your veterans to advance even higher.

In my opinion a key of wesnoth is its flexibility