Poll: Best new campaign of 2016

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which 2016 campaign do you like the most?

Poll ended at January 8th, 2017, 11:00 am

The Ravagers
27%
Return from the Abyss
9%
The Shadow of Death
9%
The Birth of Sorcery
No votes
The Invasion
No votes
Sepulchre of Elran
9%
Revenge of the Rogue
No votes
Ashen Hearts
27%
Kill the King
18%
The Failing Line
No votes

Total votes: 11

James_The_Invisible

Poll: Best new campaign of 2016

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Once upon a time (3 years ago to be precise), there was a poll about best user-made campaign. It did not go that well but an idea about creating a poll with new campaigns published in past year was raised. I went ahead and decided to do that now. I have searched the forums for new (singleplayer) campaigns. Here is the list: . So vote for your favourite one and help it become even more famous :D . The poll will be closed after 7 days and then I shall announce the winner.
Last edited by James_The_Invisible on January 3rd, 2017, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Poll: Best new campaign of 2016

Post by Paulomat4 »

I voted for ashen hearts. In my opinion it is really awesome and should be accepted into mainline as Drake campaign!
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

The Shadow of Death is far from being finished.
And, by the way, my campaign Zombies:Introduction is a campaign of 2016.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
James_The_Invisible

The Shadow of Death is far from being finished.
Probably but it is not a reason for me to not include it it in the list. You know, many campaigns are not completed when they are published for the first time.
And, by the way, my campaign Zombies:Introduction is a campaign of 2016.
I have not played it (like almost all campaigns in the poll) but from what I have read, I thought it that it was rather a collection of scenarios than a regular campaign. Maybe I was wrong. My apology then.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

James_The_Invisible wrote: I have not played it (like almost all campaigns in the poll) but from what I have read, I thought it that it was rather a collection of scenarios than a regular campaign. Maybe I was wrong. My apology then.
It is very untypcial campaign. In the first scenario you have a 6-option choice (6 different scenarios though the map is the same), and after you pass it, there is a second scenario without a choice.
Despite the length of the campaigh is short (only 2 scenarios), there is an intense storyline there, so from this point of view, it is a campaign, because it has a finished story under it.
But from the other side, it have a high replayability because you can pass the first scenario by different ways.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Do authors get to vote? :D
By the way, I think it could be useful to include the forum topics of the campaigns into the first post. Trying to view it as a player, I'd just vote the first one I would recognize, regardless of the other candidates, since there is no further information on them. :)
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
James_The_Invisible

Do authors get to vote?
While there is no way to restrict someone from voting (for certain option), I recommend against voting for own campaign. It might not be completely fair.
I think it could be useful to include the forum topics of the campaigns into the first post
I was thinking about that too while posting but in the end I have not done it. Will do it soon.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

My vote went to Ravagers for the following reasons:

->The narrative style is unique among all of the BfW campaigns, while also being interactive gameplay and story wise with the player choices;
->New mechanics that don´t detract too much from the classic gameplay and add more flavor;
->A good amount of new units to recruit from and to fight against;
->Nice storyline that deals with characters with "grey" morality .
Xara

Post by Xara »

Well, I only played Kill the King, so I vote for it.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i accidentally voted for Ashen Hearts, can i revote for The Ravagers instead? that campaign is just amazing! please, i just regret not choosing it?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

While there is no way to restrict someone from voting (for certain option), I recommend against voting for own campaign. It might not be completely fair.
Well, at least I tried...XD
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
James_The_Invisible

So, the time for voting is up. But we do not have a single winner, WhiteWolf's The Ravagers and Kwandulin's Ashen Hearts has received the same amount of votes - 3. It is a draw.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

James_The_Invisible wrote:So, the time for voting is up. But we do not have a single winner, WhiteWolf's The Ravagers and Kwandulin's Ashen Hearts has received the same amount of votes - 3. It is a draw.
well, you can consider both addons as winners, or you should have made the poll last longer, since 11 people's opinions is a bit too little to consider
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Taking into account the average activity on the forums these days, I too agree that 1 week run-time is way to short to produce relevant results. :(
What do you think, is it worth it to consider restarting this with ~3 weeks run-time, or just let it be?

Anyway, thanks for your work with organizing this, James_The_Invisible, it was a nice idea :)
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
James_The_Invisible

Hmm, I prefer to leave it. But I will keep in mind to give more time for voting if I am doing this again next year. I am also going to spend more time on looking for the candidates.