Give us an option to disable the "enemy unit sighted" event.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Naron

Give us an option to disable the "enemy unit sighted" event.

Post by Naron »

I think the title is pretty clear. I would like to have this option, at least on Android - it is very annoying on that platform. When Wesnoth was created, Android didn't exist and the touch-based GUIs weren't as largely used as today. But now the situation is different, and Wesnoth should be adapted to support these new paradigms.
The "enemy unit sighted" event I'm talking about is pretty upsetting when playing Wesnoth on Android - you have no control on it and it cancels a very carefully planned move, forcing you to repeat that move and sometimes making you mis-tap on your unit's path.
I speak from experience, this happened to me pretty often. An option to disable it would be very nice. I searched on the forum and it seems to be a feature related to multiplayer mode, if I understand correctly. But if this is true, it does not make sense to have this feature active in single-player mode.
Your thoughts? Should we have this option or not?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Give us an option to disable the "enemy unit sighted" ev

Post by Pentarctagon »

Not going into the merit's of your actual idea, Wesnoth does not officially support Android, so making an argument based on Android-specific gameplay probably isn't the best idea. Did you mean to post this in the Android support thread?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

This "enemy/friendly unit sighted" messages are annoying, there should be an option supress them or to turn off entirely.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, an alternative (Android-only) idea would be to have some kind of simple gesture to continue the move. Normally you can just press T to continue as the text alert says, but it sounds like there is no equivalent in the Android version.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Pentarctagon wrote:Not going into the merit's of your actual idea, Wesnoth does not officially support Android, so making an argument based on Android-specific gameplay probably isn't the best idea. Did you mean to post this in the Android support thread?
Well, the enemy unit sighted event is annoying even on the classic desktop and much more so on Android. Did I understand it correctly as being a multiplayer feature? If yes, why is active in single-player mode? It really should be optional.

@zookeeper: emulating the t key on Android might solve the problem but not entirely. It just doesn't make sense on Android, at least in my perception.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I don't really see why one would think of it as a multiplayer feature. It's there because usually you might want to adjust your plan if you discover an enemy unit.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I can see arguments for the option.

I can accept that by disabling the message, you will regret it. But, hey, if you turned it off and had a bad result that's your own fault.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I think it's relatively simple to add an option to disable this (since the code for it already exists, all you need to do is wire in a preference option). If someone wants to do this, feel free to submit a pull request.

If no-one does, I might do it myself, eventually.
Naron wrote:The "enemy unit sighted" event I'm talking about is pretty upsetting when playing Wesnoth on Android - you have no control on it and it cancels a very carefully planned move, forcing you to repeat that move and sometimes making you mis-tap on your unit's path.
I'm pretty sure I've done this before even with the mouse.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Mint

Post by Mint »

zookeeper wrote:Normally you can just press T to continue as the text alert says, but it sounds like there is no equivalent in the Android version.
I don't know about others but most of the time I don't have my non-mouse hand on the keyboard while playing the desktop version. For me it's more convenient to simply use the mouse, as well as more comfortable to not have to hold my hand over the keyboard. An option to disable enemy/ally sightings would be a nice feature to reduce the number of clicks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It sounds like it would be a good option to me. Since the "unit sighted!" event triggers a moveto event, it can be annoying even if you have your hand on a regular keyboard. Maybe you didn't want to stop on that green potion, or whatever.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I seem to recall that the game attempts to not choose significant locations for stopping. At least, it won't stop on a village that you do not own. Perhaps the logic could be improved.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I seem to recall that the game attempts to not choose significant locations for stopping. At least, it won't stop on a village that you do not own. Perhaps the logic could be improved.
Even improving the logic will not make that event less annoying. Yes, I have seen the behavior you describe but it remains a big nuisance. To strenghten my case, I would add that we like to have choices. If one wants this option to be active, so be it. But if another one wants to disable this entirely, they should be able to do so. Is that hard?
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Also, IMO it would be really helpful if we got this during replays also. In 1.10 the "enemy unit sighted" text would not appear during replays. In 1.12, this was changed, you get the big banners when watching a replay also iirc. gfgtdf and I disagreed about whether this was a regression or not. I argued that this was annoying and useless since you aren't actually actively playing during the replay, he argued quite reasonably that the replay should look the extent possible, the same as the original play. If there were a preference to suppress the text it would also resolve that issue also.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

If it's just an aesthetic thing in a replay (banner pops up, but things keep moving), then I don't really see a problem with that.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Has something been done in this regard? It's really annoying to not be able to enable or disable at will this cursed event. At least, cursed by me. Or I'm too egoistic to ask for this?