Official Steam Greenlight discussion thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Official Steam Greenlight discussion thread

Post by vultraz »

This is a feedback thread for discussion regarding our Steam Greenlight submission.

Please keep the discussion civil. :)

UPDATE: We got Greenlit, with 3,249 votes in less than 4 days and an overall rank of #28! Thanks to everyone who voted and gave feedback. :D
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Official Steam Greenlight discussion thread

Post by Iris »

FIRST.

Congrats to everyone involved in moving this forward. Hope it all goes smoothly as planned!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It's finally happening! :mrgreen:
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
FelixMage

Post by FelixMage »

Finally :D , hope that this will make even more people find out what a great game Battle for Wesnoth is.

Are achievements or trading cards planned? Not sure how it goes with the trading cards, but surely achievements would be a great way to make Battle for Wesnoth even more replayable than it already is.
Also, what about Steam Workshop? Any plans to make use of it, or will you just stick with the currrent system 100% ?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

We currently don't have plans to use the Workshop or add Achievements or Trading Cards, but that might change in the future. :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
FelixMage

Post by FelixMage »

Fair enough, I think that they could all be used very well with Battle for Wesnoth, but I understand that they might seem like uneccesary features, guess I will just have to hope and wait. ;)
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

Wow! Soon I finally will be able to stock all the hours I waste in BfW. :mrgreen: Hopefully the steam version won't take extra time to load, though.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

vultraz wrote:We currently don't have plans to use the Workshop or add Achievements or Trading Cards, but that might change in the future. :)
How would you add Achievements? That requires mixing Steam's proprietary code with Wesnoth's, which isn't feasible under the GPL 2.0.

Trading Cards are possible though, as are Workshop mods (with a workaround).
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Likely a coincidence, but in case you didn’t remember, it was one year ago that Wesnoth put out a call for help across the Internet, spelling the realities of the project and seeking developers to help carry the torch. Now today, exactly one year later, Wesnoth inches closer to Steam, and by doing so, gaining more attention and growing the user base. A year from now it seems very possible we’ll be playing with many more people from around the globe, downloading new add-ons and coding new game features.

Steam Greenlight, the process itself, for a game that by many is considered a hidden gem, a game spread not by a marketing budget but simply by word of mouth, will have no problem being endorsed by the community. Fans who recall nostalgia playing it will support us. No, the hardest step is gearing up for the Steam release. Wesnoth has succeeded not by having a huge bug-free release — it’s been through smaller iterative updates, fixing bugs over periods of time, introducing new features gradually, adding new art occasionally, and improving translations sporadically.

Games live and die by the Steam community ratings. If Wesnoth gets greenlit, visibility and popularity rests on having a very successful Steam launch. That means getting all our ducks in a row, and applying lots of polish to every part of the game. Although we have had deadlines for releases before (1.12 being an incredible release!), make no mistake, the Steam launch would be the mother of all deadlines.

Thank you vultraz and shadowm for getting us here in the last year, and thank you to the countless developers and community members for all your support. There is a future for Wesnoth because of all of you. The only question now is, what will it look like? We’ll just have to find out, won’t we?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Thank you, ancestral, for that eloquent post. :) You perfectly summed up the challenges that face us as we move ahead. You're right - getting Greenlit won't be a problem. As of now, a mere 6 hours after making our Greenlight submission public, we have over 500 upvotes. The challenge now is making the 1.14.0 release - the likely first Steam release - as polished as we possibly can, and maybe in the process attract new fans and possibly even contributors.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I won't be able to clock in my hours played on wesnoth's git master branch. vultraz pls fix.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Andrettin wrote:
vultraz wrote:We currently don't have plans to use the Workshop or add Achievements or Trading Cards, but that might change in the future. :)
How would you add Achievements? That requires mixing Steam's proprietary code with Wesnoth's, which isn't feasible under the GPL 2.0.
I believe there may be ways around this. For example, isolating that code into a separate "plugin" that can (if present) be dynamically loaded at startup might be feasible under GPL 2.0.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I believe there may be ways around this. For example, isolating that code into a separate "plugin" that can (if present) be dynamically loaded at startup might be feasible under GPL 2.0.
If you manage to find a way, it would be extremely welcome for all open-source games on Steam :)

I'm really happy to see Wesnoth on Steam, I've already voted for it on Greenlight now. Hopefully it will make the game a lot more popular, and spread open-source awareness :)
Sire

Post by Sire »

Congratulations on getting it on Steam Greenlight!

I went ahead and cast my vote. Best of luck to what happens next!
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
galneon

Post by galneon »

This is great. As I said in the Steam comment thread, I can't imagine a more obvious rubber stamp approval.

It is my duty now, as always, to mention the need for gamepad support, which, with the exposure granted by Steam, is now more important than ever to reaching the widest audience possible. ;)