Official Steam Greenlight discussion thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sudipta

Re: Official Steam Greenlight discussion thread

Post by Sudipta »

I am a windows user. I have never used any other OS for my pc in my life. I stumbled upon BfW when i was looking up a wikipedia page about turn based strategy games many years back( I know, who the he.ll looks up wikipedia pages on genre definitions? :mrgreen: ) I am giving the link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn-based_strategy
If u look it up, u will see that there's an image of an old version of BfW in the article. Kudos to the guy who posted that picture. Without him, i would never have found this diamond in the rough.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
kurt751

Post by kurt751 »

GunChleoc wrote:I'm on Windows and I found BfW when looking for Open Source games that can be translated. It as very prominent in that search.
But you have to admit it's not a very common search... :)

BfW needs more visibility. It also needs to make clear it's not some half-baken mod, but a professionally made, commercial grade finished game.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

FelixMage wrote:There shouldn't be a way for Steam to cheat you on a free game like Battle for Wesnoth though.
Just because you can't think of a way now... :P

But I think it's important to not make it exclusive to steam.
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

At no point has anyone suggested making it exclusive to Steam. Steam also recommends not doing that, by the way. Wesnoth will continue to be available in all the places it's currently available.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
kurt751

Post by kurt751 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Wesnoth will continue to be available in all the places it's currently available.
Thanks, this is very important.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Sudipta wrote:I am a windows user. I have never used any other OS for my pc in my life. I stumbled upon BfW when i was looking up a wikipedia page about turn based strategy games many years back( I know, who the he.ll looks up wikipedia pages on genre definitions? :mrgreen: ) I am giving the link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn-based_strategy
If u look it up, u will see that there's an image of an old version of BfW in the article. Kudos to the guy who posted that picture. Without him, i would never have found this diamond in the rough.
That image is a bit outdated, maybe we should link something like http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wcqoGTrY194/U ... noth+2.jpg ?
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Jozrael wrote:That image is a bit outdated, maybe we should link something like http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wcqoGTrY194/U ... noth+2.jpg ?
That one is also outdated, there's a new Cavalryman sprite since then.
HaydenRead

Post by HaydenRead »

Congratulations on getting Greenlit.

Great to see that The Battle for Wesnoth is finally coming to Steam.

In regards to Achievements and Steam Workshop, there are a few ways that The Battle for Wesnoth could get around the GPL / Steam license issues:
Steam Workshop the easiest way around is a non GPL preloader for the application.
Achievements I think can be done by runtime linking to a dll if the dll is present, otherwise if that is not compatible with GPL, write to a file that gets processed by the aforementioned preloader.

(I have had previous Steam experience with Simutrans, so if the devs want any assistance on any issues they run across, they can PM me and I will be glad to help if I can).
stepout

Post by stepout »

Glad to see this game is making it to Steam :) It will make getting my friends into it much easier. I've only been playing Wesnoth for a week or so but from what I can gather, it's basically the best game ever. You guys Rock!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't know what this means for Wesnoth on Steam, if it means anything, but I saw this article and thought I'd link it here just in case:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/ ... ublishing/

URL says it all, but in short, Greenlight is being shut down.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I saw the same article or something similar. It appears they will be charging but have not, yet, determined the price. My initial reaction was 'Well, there goes Wesnoth on Steam.' It occurs to me, though, that someone with some authority should contact them as ask they either set the price low, or provide some form of fee waver for established open-source/free software games like Wesnoth. The other option, of course, would be some fund raising to come up with the fees.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I would assume that games which have already been greenlit don't need to go through the new process.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I greatly doubt it is anything to be concerned about for games like Wesnoth that have already obtained Greenlight approval. Considering that one already had to pay a free (I don’t remember the amount but it’s not insignificant at all) to be allowed to submit your first Greenlight entry, it’d be extremely bad form—to say the least—if all the money and effort spent on successful Greenlight campaigns suddenly went to waste. Besides, as I recall the legal process for submitting Wesnoth to Steam began the moment that it got Greenlit, it’s just paralyzed awaiting the paperwork from Wesnoth Inc that Valve requires, which in turn won’t begin until around the actual release of version 1.14.0.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

According to Dave, we should not have any issues with Wesnoth as it has already been Greenlit, and as Tad_Carlucci pointed out, Greenlight has not yet been dissolved. However, to prevent any future complications, we are moving ahead with the necessary paperwork ASAP and are considering uploading the latest 1.12 release to Steam, with the 1.14 update following in a few months.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

vultraz wrote:According to Dave, we should not have any issues with Wesnoth as it has already been Greenlit, and as Tad_Carlucci pointed out, Greenlight has not yet been dissolved. However, to prevent any future complications, we are moving ahead with the necessary paperwork ASAP and are considering uploading the latest 1.12 release to Steam, with the 1.14 update following in a few months.
Cool! I can't wait to see Wesnoth on Steam :)