Mgic attack probability ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

Mgic attack probability ?

Post by Yomar »

If a Wose on flat terrain (20% def) is targeted with an magic attack, the probabilities that he will be hit will be 80% or 70% ?
I mean magic hits always at 70% or at least at 70% ?
In case that it hits always at 70%, then a normal attack will be more precise, because it would have 80% of chances to hit him (this if he's on a grass hex), right ?
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Mgic attack probability ?

Post by Ravana »

kjn

Post by kjn »

Correct. Magical attacks always have a fixed hit percentage of 70%.

The Marksman attack is different, however. On attack (ie on your own turn, not when defending and doing retaliation damage) a marksman will always have a to-hit chance of at least 60%, but it can go higher.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

The way I've always interpreted this is that magic always hit 100% of the time, but the spells actually fizzle 30% of the time. Although the ingame animations don't necessarily support this and I have no idea what cannon has to say about it, I always thought it was a nice flavour explanation :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
GoatGoat

Post by GoatGoat »

Dixie wrote:The way I've always interpreted this is that magic always hit 100% of the time, but the spells actually fizzle 30% of the time. Although the ingame animations don't necessarily support this and I have no idea what cannon has to say about it, I always thought it was a nice flavour explanation :)
I've never thought about it that way, but it makes more sense to me now. That's why it doesn't matter what terrain the enemy is on, because the chance is dependant on the mage successfully casting it.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

yes, for example it applies to fireball (it's anim fully supports this theory), and some other spells
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic