[POLL] What mainline campaign you like most?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What mainline campaign you like most?

A Tale of Two Brothers
No votes
An Orcish Incursion
No votes
The South Guard
11%
Liberty
15%
Legend of Wesmere
No votes
The Eastern Invasion
No votes
The Hammer of Thursagan
4%
Descent into Darkness
9%
Delfador's Memoirs
No votes
Dead Water
4%
The Sceptre of Fire
6%
Son of the Black-Eye
2%
The Rise of Wesnoth
21%
Northern Rebirth
6%
Under the Burning Suns
23%

Total votes: 53

Aldarisvet
Translator

[POLL] What mainline campaign you like most?

Post by Aldarisvet »

Posting the question here because all other places for mainline feedback simply locked for thread creating. But possibly this is a good place because this subforum is quite active.
Also there is a limit of maximum 15 options in the poll and we have 16 campaigns so I excluded Heir to the Throne as an obviously out of the competition, foundation campaign. You can only vote for one campaign.
This poll is just for curiosity, nothing going to happen as a result of this poll, or at least I myself do not imply something.
Last edited by Aldarisvet on April 27th, 2016, 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Sire

Re: [POLL] What mainline campaign you like most?

Post by Sire »

I voted for The South Guard.

Not only it is an excellent introductory campaign for first time players, it has a gripping story and even a branching path that will lead the player down to a separate set of scenarios and a different ending. It was also one of the first campaigns I've played (I think after An Orcish Incursion).

Other top campaigns would be A Tale of Two Brothers and Liberty. While AToTB is a simple and short campaign, I say it is one of the most polished ones due to the extra story art (HttT has a few, but not enough for the entire campaign and is not on the floor for discussion. Rise of Wesnoth also has a few, but the artstyle is out of place for modern Wesnoth). Liberty has its unique mechanics and gameplay not really found in Wesnoth (a stealth mission and the finale of Halstead), and is a memorable campaign.

I'll put my thoughts on the other campaigns in spoiler tags to keep the main discussion clear.
Other Thoughts:
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

It's no secret which mainline campaign is my favorite. Too bad there isn't room for HttT as it's also one of my favorites.

My random thoughts on individual mainline campaigns...
Spoiler:
taptap

Post by taptap »

Well, I voted TRoW mainly because it was the last one that I played ... it suffers from tomato effects here and there. Other than that I liked Dead Water and South Guard well.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I voted for dead water because it is simply an excellent campaign that I like very much. The rise of wesnoth, under the burning suns and liberty were great as well
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Also voted TRoW.

My other votes if I could, would go to Liberty and SotBE.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Otengam

Post by Otengam »

I wonder if some of the votes made here are because some people haven't had the time to play all the campaigns, or have forgotten some others and have only played/remember ones that sound interesting or are more fresh in the memory. I can see this as a good reason for trimming/archiving some of the campaigns or re-organising the campaigns into some order so there's more of a progression.
n64lord

Post by n64lord »

I voted Liberty. I know that other than the final scenario, it's really 8 beginner difficulty missions, and even heir to the throne has at least 3-4 intermediate levels on its hard mode, which liberty lacks, but it's the levels are easy in a fun way, instead of being a simply matter of being overpowered or the AI having a gimped recruitment list.

I also appreciate the smaller scale of the story, and enjoy playing as outlaws, even if they aren't portrayed like in Water Margin, or something similiar. The final mission and its epilogue just fit together so well, especially for me, since I played badly and had to desperately count out the enemies movement when I attacked the final tower.

I don't have anything against the "generic feeling" campaigns like HoT, SoF, and Totb, since I feel like they define the core gameplay well, without overstaying their welcome, As much as I applaud the innovative "outlier" content for their creativity, I'd be upset if every campaign demanded that I learn a whole new set of mechanics just for it.

I actually think most of mainline is ok to good, except Legend of Wesmere and Northern Rebirth. They both slow to a crawl during several of their levels as you slog through a big horde of enemies, and then the next chapter, you run into a super-short turn limit level (or in the case of LoW, something where the objective is short and easy but the map is large anyway). They're just both built on extremes and don't flow very well. At least NR has a good story.

I would say that Rise of Wesnoth or Under the Burning Suns are the most consistent and well made but Liberty is my favorite because my experience was more personal. I do like hard gameplay, but I don't think Son of the Black Eye is quite as playable as them.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Inky wrote:Under the Burning Suns (played 2 times)
- An extremely fun campaign, only slightly ruined by some nasty triggered events. I'm really looking forward to the remake!
Remake? Wat! This would end a very long wesbreak for me...
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Jozrael wrote:Remake? Wat! This would end a very long wesbreak for me...
It won't be for a while yet. I get the impression that it might not make it into 1.14.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
johndh

Post by johndh »

I voted for UtBS mostly because of Kaleh's character and how he relates to the plot. I really felt his determination to save the last of his dying people as more and more of them are massacred by monsters, enemies, and natural(ish) disasters. The campaign is fairly difficult and this lines up with the theme of desperation and dread as the Quenoth get gradually killed off, and the thirst mechanic was a nice touch that I was wish got used a bit more. It was also nice to have more agency over the protagonist's advancement.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

beetlenaut wrote:
Jozrael wrote:Remake? Wat! This would end a very long wesbreak for me...
It won't be for a while yet. I get the impression that it might not make it into 1.14.
Who is making it? Is there a gh branch the work is being done in that can be contributed to?