[POLL] Removing planning mode

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How often do you use the whiteboard?

A lot
9%
Not much
25%
Never
66%

Total votes: 128

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: [POLL] Removing planning mode

Post by zookeeper »

wesnothguy wrote:I just registered to say that planning mode is vital in competitive ladder play.

In particular, removing planning mode would be a heavy nerf to the Ulfserker. You need planning mode to figure out what killing chance your Ulf would have if you would move it to a hex that is currently occupied by one of your units and then attacked with it.

You can't do this reliably without planning mode, because sometimes your unit that was originally on the hex can't move back due to ZOC.
I for one have no idea what you're describing. If you need to do what you describe without planning mode, you just move the other unit out of the way, check your killing chance with the Ulfserker, and then undo both moves. The only possible disruption of your plan (excluding scenario events) would be if you stumble upon an ambusher.
wesnothguy

Post by wesnothguy »

You'd have to make sure that you don't deshroud anything while moving out of the way. So I would have to delay shroud updates in general in order to be save from this mistake, but I like instant shroud updates.

Also, checking the new ZOCs and areas enemy units can move to after 3 or 4 planned movements is incredibly useful, too.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I want to clarify that I am not for or against removing planning mode. I only hear that it's rough around the edges and figure that, if no-one is willing to polish it, it should not be shown to unsuspecting users.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

wesnothguy wrote:You'd have to make sure that you don't deshroud anything while moving out of the way. So I would have to delay shroud updates in general in order to be save from this mistake, but I like instant shroud updates.

Also, checking the new ZOCs and areas enemy units can move to after 3 or 4 planned movements is incredibly useful, too.
Personally, I'm flipping Delay Shroud Updates on and off all the time to do stuff like this. I don't see how this is any different than bouncing back and forth between planning mode.
loubardeas22

Post by loubardeas22 »

I am a regular user of planning mode, I like to use it in Campaigns (or any match really) where I am moving large numbers of units and want to make sure that at the end of all my moves, my army has a solid front line and the final defensive positioning of the group is as I envision it, before I start moving players. Sometimes it takes a little more time, but it also eliminates me moving units, then undoing moves, so other times with a lot of units I actually think it might speed my play up slightly. I won't be devastated if its removed, but I think it is a cool and useful feature.
worgenhunter

Post by worgenhunter »

I personally don't use the active planning mode that uses the "P" hotkey but, I do on occasion use the ability to set a unit to capture a village or move a certain distance over a number of turns by clicking outside the unit's remaining move range. not 100% whether that is part of planning mode functionality or not. either way I'd say leave it as a function that is completely disabled by default, or simply as an easily applied optional add-on. that way it won't be completely unavailable to those who do use planning mode.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

That's not part of planning mode, so even if planning mode were removed, you would still be able to do that.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

More seriously, though, I use it rarely, but the times I do use it - I feel it's really useful. I actually don't carry out my plans too often, I just want to have a picture of where my units would be if I had them do this or that, and what route they would take - and I want to see that while I work with additional units. So, planning mode.

Also, sorry for replying so long after the last post (ducks).
wingsfalcon

Post by wingsfalcon »

i am never use planing mode cause like manual
BadHatHarry

Post by BadHatHarry »

vultraz wrote:removing Planning Mode

There are a multitude of issues and crashes related to its use
All my words would be about multiplayer only.

Yes, it's buggy. But I still always use it. Firstly, it saves time - while waiting you could plan and later only press Ctrl+Y. Secondly, It saves a lot of time when planning attack or defense - you could virtually move units and watch ZOC and other things. Mainly it helps me to view how enemies could move and what reach if I remove unit from some place.

Probably, you could turn off allied planning and network code that show plannings for ally - I think bugs are there. But don't remove planning mode for local use!

Thank you!
Last edited by BadHatHarry on July 12th, 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

gfgtdf wrote:"Delayed shroud updates" is is neigher less buggy (casues OOS) nor able to replace planning mode in the first place because most things where you'd use planning mode for are just not doable with dsu.
Actually i think removing dsu is a much better idea than dropping planning mode.
As a sometimes player of multiplayer online and as a (less active) dev I have to agree with gfgtdf about this.

How about exploring further dropping Delayed Shroud Updates as this is not an entirely obvious thing for new users? Maybe planning mode can be fixed. It's not like it should cause gamestate out-of-sync if 2 planning modes don't align across a network (worst case) to my mind as nothing is actually happening, only being planned. Maybe it is even as simple as removing the warning messages and fixing the crash on attacks?

I don't want to commit to actually fixing these bugs, but I can take a look at these 2 things I mentioned above.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

I use planning mode from time to time, when I want to plan unit placement so that enemy can't reach critical points such as wounded units