Ladder of wesnoth and servers

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CaptainDiamondBeard

Ladder of wesnoth and servers

Post by CaptainDiamondBeard »

Hello, Im new to wesnoth and the ladder.
I want to do some competitive matches for the ladder, but I can never find a game on the servers. When I look at the ladders recent games it says some people played close to the same time that I was looking for a match.

So why couldnt I see their game, am I on a different server are they doing a LAN game?
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Re: Ladder of wesnoth and servers

Post by aquileia »

Which Wesnoth version are you using?

Because 1.10, 1.12 and 1.13 are incompatible to each other, their players are directed to different servers. You should find most of the players on the 1.12 server as it's the current stable branch.
CaptainDiamondBeard

I have wesnoth 1.10, can I upgrade to 1.12?
CaptainDiamondBeard

Note: Im on linux
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

You can definitely upgrade to 1.12 (it's probably recommended). Just follow the download links on the homepage.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
CaptainDiamondBeard

I may sound stupid for not knowing this, but I know nothing about computers and the types of files. The wesnoth 1.12 was a tar file, how do I open it on linux?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

With this file, you have embarked on a journey to build Wesnoth from the code. It's a good skill to have because once you know how, you can use any program whether or not there is an installable version for your flavor of Linux. However, it will take some time to figure out. If you don't want to do this, look in the package manager for your Linux distribution to see if an installable version already exists. If you are using a popular distro, it probably does. If you are still lost, tell us what Linux distribution you have, and someone will be able to give you some more specific help.

If do you want to build the game yourself, the process is called "compiling" and there are lots of web pages with details. You can continue to ask here when you get stuck. I will explain the first step though. The first step (of about five) is decompressing the tar file. You will use the command line: Find your "terminal" program, and open it in the folder where you have the .tar file, or open it anywhere navigate to the folder with the cd command. Then the command for uncompressing the .tar file is tar -xf wesnoth-1.12.5.tar.bz2. That will create a folder with the code in it. I hope that made sense to you. If not, you will need to do some reading on how to use the command line.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
CaptainDiamondBeard

I have a Installer in the package when I ran in thorugh wine it created a Folder with a bunch of different files and folders (ex: cmake, doc, data, etc) what do I do with this folder, I already looked inside and there is no instaler.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Well, I have no idea what you did, and I'm not sure what you have because nothing should have needed wine or even worked with it. If you tell us what Linux distribution you have, we might be able to find an installer for you. It sounds like you might have the program code, but I think we can forget about compiling it.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
CaptainDiamondBeard

Im using Ubuntu 14.04.3
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It looks like your version of Ubuntu is pretty old, so you would have to enable backports to get an up-to-date version of Wesnoth. I don't have Ubuntu, but maybe someone who does can give you more information about that. In the mean time, this link might be helpful: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Wesnothbinarieslinux#Ubuntu.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

14.04 is actually the current LTS release, but it doesn't come with Wesnoth 1.12. Maybe this thread will help: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41366
CaptainDiamondBeard

That link did the trick, thank you all for the help