Multiplayer: force users to only purchase level 0 units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordImrhial

Multiplayer: force users to only purchase level 0 units

Post by LordImrhial »

Hello! Firstly, love the game!!! :)

Question: Is there a way (or Era) in Multiplayer (for me, my friends, and AI only) to force users to only buy level 0 units? I am not sure if there is an option, era, add-on, or a 'hack" to setup the game so only level 0 units can be purchased for the default/official factions.

Units like the Peasant, Ruffian, Woodsman, Auxiliary, Latronis, Piscator. I assume this would mean only factions with level 0 units could be played as well.

Me and my friends think it would be fun to all start at the lowest unit and level up from there.

Thank you!
Lord Imrhial
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Multiplayer: force users to only purchase level 0 units

Post by gfgtdf »

in mainlile most factions don't even have level 0 units (drakes, elves) or only 1 level 0 unit (loyals, knaga, orcs) so i don't see how this should be possible.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sure, it would be easy to add into your era or scenario a recruit event which checks the recruited unit's level, and kills it (and refunds the player if you want to be nice) if it's not level 0. Or you could make it into a modification which can be toggled on regardless of selected era. Should be nothing tricky about it.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Graphically nicer way would be iterating over
sides->recruits-> If level of that unit type is not 0, remove.
fendrin

Post by fendrin »

Iirc there is indeed a downloadable era introducing lvl0 units for all factions.
But I can't remember the name and don't know if it made it to the 1.12 add-on server.
"Wesnoth has many strong points but team and users management are certainly not in them." -- pyrophorus
"The thing a project in the true spirit of open source has to fear is not forking, but clean-room re-implementation. When that happens, you know something is wrong."
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I remember seeing an art thread with a lot of new level-0's too. It's probably from the same era fendrin mentioned.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
LordImrhial

Post by LordImrhial »

Ravana wrote:Graphically nicer way would be iterating over
sides->recruits-> If level of that unit type is not 0, remove.
Do you have a basic guide on how to do this? I am brand new to the game still. :P Would this be like a custom campaign that I have to make? If so, will my friends have to download it or something to play with me? I am familiar with this kind of stuff, just not in regards to Wesnoth. Thanks! :)
fendrin wrote:Iirc there is indeed a downloadable era introducing lvl0 units for all factions.
But I can't remember the name and don't know if it made it to the 1.12 add-on server.
I will try to look into that! Let me know if you come across it! :) Thank you!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Merged your posts.

And I created the addon for you. You can find it on 1.12 addon server.
LordImrhial

Post by LordImrhial »

Ravana wrote:Merged your posts.

And I created the addon for you. You can find it on 1.12 addon server.
Sorry, didn't see a multi-quote option. :S

And thank you very much, we will play it tonight for sure! :)
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

zookeeper wrote:Sure, it would be easy to add into your era or scenario a recruit event which checks the recruited unit's level, and kills it (and refunds the player if you want to be nice) if it's not level 0. Or you could make it into a modification which can be toggled on regardless of selected era. Should be nothing tricky about it.
Wouldn't it be more straightforward to just change the recruit list of the factions to just the level-0 units in your era?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

pauxlo wrote:Wouldn't it be more straightforward to just change the recruit list of the factions to just the level-0 units in your era?
It would take way too long to go through hundreds of units for that, and you would always need to update it together with era. And more importantly, keep it up to date with other peoples eras.