What are the best player-made Campaigns?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Demosthentine

What are the best player-made Campaigns?

Post by Demosthentine »

I am relatively new to Wesnoth, and I have just begun to take peeks at player-made content. What, in your opinion, are the best player-made campaigns?
Xara

Re: What are the best player-made Campaigns?

Post by Xara »

Panther Lord, To Lands Unknown, Secrets of the Ancient, A New Order, World Conquest 2.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Naron

Post by Naron »

Invasion from the Unknown and its sequel, After the Storm, are some of the best UMC campaigns.
Other very good campaigns: Legend of the Invincibles, Birth of a Lich, Bad Moon Rising & Trinity - to name just a few.
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

This topic could probably go elsewhere but...

I suggest against the following: To Lands Unknown, A New Order, Invasion from the Unknown, Afer the Storm, Legend of the Invicibles, Bad Moon & Trinity. And there is a reason for this.

Those are some of the biggest, best, most interesting designed UMC campaigns. And that's the problem. Since you admitted to being new, getting a handle on the tactics and AI thought process is pretty important before stepping into these campaigns. Otherwise these can just put a beatdown on you, leaving you frustrated and giving up before you really see what's in store. Espically because they either have new armies and/or new systems that are not in the base game, making things a lot more confusing and frustrating at times. And three of those(Legend of the Invincibles, Invasion, Bad Moon) Are pretty long too, taking a good chunk of your time. More so if you want to play the sequels(After the Storm and Trinity) where as Invicibles is just bloody long.

Great these campaigns are, newbie friendly is not something I would say about them. Go ahead and try them, you might have a blast and be far more skilled than I give you credit, but understand these are not the campaigns I'd pick out for a new player. The others I can't give an opinion as I haven't played them.

For more 'friendlier' Campaigns, I'd suggest Brave Wings, Across the Ocean, and Oath of Allegiance. Pretty well put together if I say so myself. I also might be overstepping by this entire post but "Best UMC Campaigns" doesn't necessarily mean "Best UMC for New Players". Just my two cents.
Demosthentine

Post by Demosthentine »

Thank you for the suggestions!
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

I liked Rise of Elementalist, Sojourning of Grog. Sojourning of Grog takes its characters from probably the best mainline campaing- Under the burning suns.
There was a really nice campain with saurians, forgot name
Ooze mini campaing, Elvish kingdom are nice too.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Moved to Users' Forum.
atilly

Post by atilly »

Panther Lord is my favorite of them then I would say Legend of the Invincibles.
Last edited by atilly on December 8th, 2023, 1:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Deki

Post by Deki »

My favourite is the Salt Wars, Swamplings, Brave Wings.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

Since it has'nt been mentioned: The founding of Borstep is a very well made UMC
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

Swamplings - Good storytelling and use of humour.
To Lands Unknown - Completely different unit structure, but the sprites look gorgeous.
Soujournings of Grog - Very good troll campaign.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Ok, I will vote for Amaranthine Stone and Alariel's Jorney by Faelord, bright, kind and fairy tales.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
TripleSnail

Post by TripleSnail »

My favorite is The Dragon Trilogy. It consists of the following campaigns:
  1. A Song of Fire
  2. War of the Jewel
  3. Aria of the Dragon-Slayer
Episodes 2. and 3. are much more sophisticated implementation-wise, but Episode 1. is very nice too. I actually started playing Episode 1 again. Of these episodes, War of the Jewel is my favorite.

Short review:
  • A long and brilliant story (126 scenarios with all episodes combined).
  • The AMLA implementation used in episodes 2 and 3 is very nice.
  • Especially in episodes 2 and 3, there are many dialogues between characters that occur when you move them next to each other. This makes the characters so much more alive. I could feel their feelings and so on.
  • I'm mainly interested in story in any campaign, so I often use cheats to progress faster. Well, in this campaign I didn't want to. The gameplay never got that boring. Besides, I could have missed those small interactions between characters.
  • Excellent use of music.
  • Very good writing.
  • Nevertheless, one or two scenarios in the trilogy forced me to cheat, because Wesnoth crashed otherwise.
Some other campaigns that I liked very much, in no particular order:
  • Swamplings (Excellent humor, story and gameplay)
  • Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm (Very nice continuation to Under the Burning Suns. One of the few campaigns that me cry couple times (in a good way).)
  • Soldier of Wesnoth (For the same reasons as The Dragon Trilogy)
WhereIsBaodur

Post by WhereIsBaodur »

Invasion from the Unkown and it's (imho too long) sequel sure are gorgeous, but they'll take much time and there are many long battles, which can be a bother if you are there mainly for the story.

I'd go for medium lenght campaigns, that can be enjoyed alone, and without requiring knowledge of Wesnoth lore beforehand.
A Rough Life it's my personal favourite so far, but be warned! the first level is really quite difficult. On the bright side it really gets you emotionally involved in the story. The story its beautifully told, with many nice touches. And you get to use units from different factions because of it, which I always love.
Ashen Hearts, featuring drakes, (I'm halfway through it) is very good, but it's for no novice either. Given its quality I think I can blindly suggest the other campaign made by its author, Oath of Allegiance, which features the new khalifate faction.
Short and funny, ooze mini-campaign
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

The earths gut is best, though not finished.