Campaigns order

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dorsil

Campaigns order

Post by Dorsil »

Hi ! I would like to know the chronological order of campaigns
:D
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: Campaigns order

Post by StandYourGround »

I will now resume lurking silently.
Dorsil

Post by Dorsil »

StandYourGround wrote:It's in the wiki.
Hi, But this wiki does not indicate the completion of some campaigns , then I have dizzy
StandYourGround

Well, some of the campaigns like Scepter of Fire and Orcish Incursion don't happen over a long time span, and Descent into Darkness doesn't have a defined ending anyway.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

It would be nice if your actions in one campaign affected the next, so that recurring characters have the same stats, etc. The tutorial ought to lead into HttT in my opinion.
StandYourGround

That's been discussed, but the thing is that destroys campaign balance, and I can't even think of another possible situation other than the tutorial to HttT, and that's not hardly enough to make any difference anyway.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Besides, if you played the tutorial, you are a beginner. And if you are a beginner, you don't want to tackle HttT as your first campaign, even though it's the game's flagship campaign. There are shorter and more beginner-friendly campaigns you'd want to play first...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
watbesh

Post by watbesh »

Jabie wrote:It would be nice if your actions in one campaign affected the next, so that recurring characters have the same stats, etc. The tutorial ought to lead into HttT in my opinion.
I'm against doing that in mainline campaigns because this would make each campaign less separate. Also, most of recurring characters have time-jumps long enough to justify the level-resets. For example, LoW, DM and HttT have Kalentz, but long time between each of campaigns justifies the power-loss. Even more so for Delfador. (It doesn't justify Kalentz having different traits on each appearance though.)

Even if you create campaigns to do this (easily done by coding them as one campaign), the recurring characters can be game-breakers if done carelessly. Use few of them (they should act as supporters like Delfador in HttT, or "the Oifey/Jagen" at best, not early-game main forces) or give them only tiny bonuses (starting with some XP won't hurt the game-balance too much).
My MP Eras and Mods with core units and unusual gameplay (version 1.3.1 for Wesnoth 1.12)
Xara

Post by Xara »

watbesh wrote: (It doesn't justify Kalentz having different traits on each appearance though.)
Well, people change ;)
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Dixie wrote:Besides, if you played the tutorial, you are a beginner. And if you are a beginner, you don't want to tackle HttT as your first campaign, even though it's the game's flagship campaign. There are shorter and more beginner-friendly campaigns you'd want to play first...
True. An Orcish Incursion is a good one for starting, for instance.
Dorsil

Post by Dorsil »

i'm not a begginer, i have many years in the game. Only to seeing the wiki I confused, I could not know exactly how to follow an order between campaigns , I've been playing all my life haphazardly