Android 1.12 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

howwitty

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by howwitty »

Alep, I have been using your port for over a year now since I bought an HTC Desire running KitKat (4.4.2). It works quite well and I hadn't noticed any significant issues until yesterday. Here is a way to reproduce it:

1. Create a multiplayer game using the mobile client.
2. Join the game as an observer from another device (I use a computer).
3. Assign control of the host side to observer.

I sometimes use my phone to observe team statistics in cooperative survival, and I see that the Android version is not showing an observer icon.
I'm tired.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

just4fun wrote:I bought the v1.10 version at 2014 and had it on my Thinkpad tablet with a lot of fun time. Fast forward to 2015 and after moving my daily device to a Z2 Xperia tablet I was never able to work around the early exit problem the others also reported on v1.12. Not really a big deal as the legacy version is already good enough so I downloaded and tried your xperia apk from SourceForge once in a while but the early exit problem still persists.
I know... that's an apk I published for an Xperia user who helped me to address the issue; compared to the official release it justs adds some logging.
I tracked the problem ending up basically clueless upon a log line which I still believe it simply cannot happen unless there is some big flaw inside OS libraries.
just4fun wrote:Somehow last night Sony made the Marshmallow upgrade available and after the upgrade I dutifully retried everything. With a pleasant surprise, I was able to create a dummy game on the v1.12 port.

So now I can report that v1.12 works on Android 6.0.1 too.
Wow, this is great news! Happy to hear that.
So probably there really was a problem inside OS libraries which got fixed with this upgrade.
Ferranzo

Android keyboard wont work.

Post by Ferranzo »

Hi. So something really frustrating has been going on and its the keyboard feature on wesnoth.

LG Stylo (LGE LGL 5770)
I use google play store so i should have latest version of wesnoth.

So when I play and I press keyboard icon it lags coming up a bit (usual) but then sometimes when i type nothing will happen. I check my hotkeys and for example I clear the 'Speak to All' key to 'm', but everytime keybooard dont work the original key 'crl m' i think with be in hotkey tab, along with the 'm' key i selected. The keyboard not typing happens randomly, and more often then not. Cant type, hotkeys wont work, and idk why. My language i configured is English.
If someone can help me that would be rlly great. Please let me kno...
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Re: Android keyboard wont work.

Post by alep »

Ferranzo wrote:Hi. So something really frustrating has been going on and its the keyboard feature on wesnoth.
Are you using your device's standard keyboard app? If so, you can try to switch to "Hacker's Keyboard", which can be downloaded from google play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... pckeyboard
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

I downloaded app, but it still happens. Keyboard will just randomly not type or respond. And yes i did set hacker keyboard as my input.
Ferranzo

Really frustrated.

Post by Ferranzo »

K well my keyboard still randomly doesnt type in the middle of games. Also another issue has been happening. Wesnoth just randomly closes. Idk if its a crash or if my ram running out. I have an app called Clean Master (one of the most popular apps) and it has a game booster in it, but wesnoth still Crashs or what ever. (Clean Master shows i usually have about 524mb of RAM available out of like 889.) So idk what to do. Keyboard will randomly not work and wesnoth closes (always when im in a middle of a game whether observering or playing) so if any of you program genuises have any hypothosis on whats going on or how to fix this, please let me know. My wesnoth experience is becoming stressful instead of the opposite..
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I have no idea what the problem is, but if it were something well known and recognizable, someone would have probably said something by now. Any further info you can provide or testing you can do (for example, do other similar apps cause trouble?) would increase your odds of getting help.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

Ya other apps dont really do that. My friend has an ios and his keyboard does same thing so it must have to do with pirted version of wesnoth.
Ferranzo

Hi again. More info on problem.

Post by Ferranzo »

Hello :)

So I am still having problems with android version of wesnoth's keyboard randomly not typing. I relized the problem occurs when i hit my keyboard icon and it 'lags a few seconds.' If I play the add on Coloseum Random, it will happen everytime I play. It will also crash the game, so it seems my phones ram (1gb, though about 550 mb is always being used) cant handle situations with alot of either units or terrain changes? Idk but I do know outside of that in regular play, after a certain time in a game whether playing or observing, my keyboard will lag coming up and then cease to type anything. I have tried other keyboards (hackers keyboard) and it still does it so idk what to do....there seems to be like 4 different wesnoth apps. I downloaded the offcial port from Alessandro.

Phone model is a LG Stylo.

If you guys could help me I would be really gratful. Chat is very important to me in game and i probably wouldnt play without it...
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Colosseum random is quite inefficiently written, it indeed takes quite a lot of ram, no matter which device is used.
Ferranzo

Re: hi need help

Post by Ferranzo »

Ya i figured that. Even if i dont play Random though, keyboardb will still do that in regular games like isar or whatever. If anyone can help please let me know.
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

Still having problems with what i post previously. Someone please figure this out. Again, My device is a LG Stylo. Ive re installed game serveral times...still wont work randomly.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Ferranzo wrote:Still having problems with what i post previously. Someone please figure this out. Again, My device is a LG Stylo. Ive re installed game serveral times...still wont work randomly.
Please send me a debug report by following these steps:

- check that your device is properly connected to internet
- start the game and hit "Change configuration" button to open the port menu
- pick "Startup options" and then chek "Send debug info to developer"
- go back and pick "Start game" to let the game run
- reproduce the bug (i.e. reach the point where type something and the keyboard does not work)
- tap and hold three fingers simultaneously on the device to pop up the port in-game options
- pick "Send debug info now"
- send me an e-mail or a private message to notify that you sent the report; please include in the message date/time of your report as I may need to find it amongst others and the word(s) you were trying to type without success
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Hello, Thank you for the port.
Now I have a problem (at least in the last version that I tried, the 1.10.7).
When I play the game on a Windows based device with touchscreen, it works perfectly, but on the Android version there is this very annoying thing that you need often drag the mouse icon, to click somewhere.
It's possible to add an option to disble the graphical pointer and to use only the fingers, like on a windows based tablet ?
This would also make easier to play on small screens.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Yomar wrote:Now I have a problem (at least in the last version that I tried, the 1.10.7).
When I play the game on a Windows based device with touchscreen, it works perfectly, but on the Android version there is this very annoying thing that you need often drag the mouse icon, to click somewhere.
It's possible to add an option to disble the graphical pointer and to use only the fingers, like on a windows based tablet ?
This would also make easier to play on small screens.
Hello Yomar.
You can switch to "pointer follows finger" mode by tapping on the "Change Configuration" button on startup and selecting "Mouse emulation configuration" -> "Mouse emulation mode".