Android 1.12 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alep
Android Port Maintainer

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by alep »

tauri wrote: After starting a game I see only a black screen. Have you already seen such issue ?
The first time you started it up, did the data download process ran? Or does it hangs before downloading data files?
Also, how long have you waited? The first time you start the game it may be a little slow... I also have a quite old phone that stays in black screen for many seconds the first time I run a newly installed game.
tauri

Post by tauri »

alep wrote: The first time you started it up, did the data download process ran? Or does it hangs before downloading data files?
Also, how long have you waited? The first time you start the game it may be a little slow... I also have a quite old phone that stays in black screen for many seconds the first time I run a newly installed game.
It starts hanging right after a start, no data downloading, no error message at all. Black screen from begining. I kept it running fot at least 5 minuts, nothing but black screen. The phone is quite new and powerfull, it shoudn't be a performance issue. Could be this somewhow CPU/GPU type related issue ?
Btw, I tried legacy version (from google play) too, it has the same issue.
tauri

Post by tauri »

tauri wrote:
alep wrote: The first time you started it up, did the data download process ran? Or does it hangs before downloading data files?
It starts hanging right after a start, no data downloading, no error message at all. Black screen from begining. I kept it running fot at least 5 minuts, nothing but black screen. The phone is quite new and powerfull, it shoudn't be a performance issue. Could be this somewhow CPU/GPU type related issue ?
Btw, I tried legacy version (from google play) too, it has the same issue.
I gave it last chance, started the game and went doing something else. After ~20 minutes download dialog popped up and everything is working fine now :) All other starts are fast :) So you were right, first start can take longer, in my case much longer :(

Thank you, going to play ;)
Chulito

Game doesn't start on Sony Experia

Post by Chulito »

I have a Z2 with Android 5.1.1, and installed the port 1.12. I get the start screen, but when choosing "start game", the game minimizes, nothing else happens.
I can edit configurations, and I see the tutorial how to emulate the mouse.

I would be really curious about the game, I like turn -based games a lot.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Re: Game doesn't start on Sony Experia

Post by alep »

Chulito wrote:I have a Z2 with Android 5.1.1, and installed the port 1.12. I get the start screen, but when choosing "start game", the game minimizes, nothing else happens.
I can edit configurations, and I see the tutorial how to emulate the mouse.
As I said to tauri, the first time you start the game it may be a little slow... please try to wait some time before giving up.
Walter

Post by Walter »

I downloaded port 1.12 on Google play and the game won't load. It downloaded, but when I tap the icon nothing happens.

Insignia tablet model ns-p16at10 10.1" screen
Android 5.0.1

I had to ask for my money back. Any reason the game won't work?

Walter
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Walter wrote:I downloaded port 1.12 on Google play and the game won't load. It downloaded, but when I tap the icon nothing happens.
You tap on the icon and still see the desktop with your icons on it with no messages, no black screen blinking, nothing at all???
Walter wrote:I had to ask for my money back.
The game is published as a free app on Google Play.
Walter wrote:Any reason the game won't work?
Never heard about "nothing happens"... some peopole reported the first start to be a little slow, so you need to watch a black screen for some time before the game starts, but in that case at least a black screen is happening...
Walter

Post by Walter »

Yes, when I tap the screen it first goes black then returns to the home screen.

Also on Google play store the newest version does cost 3.99.

Walter
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Walter wrote:Also on Google play store the newest version does cost 3.99.
So, maybe you are using the port by Androthsoft. I cannot help you with that. You may try to contact cjhopman on this forum, as he is the one who published it, though he's not very active recently.

There also was an old thread here, which you may want to check:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 02#p524702
cizra

Post by cizra »

Hello! I sent an e-mail with full logs for the Sony problem like tobbe150 and Chulito also have. I'm willing to run custom builds with more logging, or whatever else necessary. My phone is rooted, if that helps. Please e-mail me, I might forget to check this forum.

Edit: Interestingly, I just tested the legacy 1.10 version and it seems to work fine.
Sarhento

Post by Sarhento »

Hello alep! :D

I have since been able to finally get the tutorial working for my devices :geek: (for those who want to know:
download the core files only, check on the tutorial if it works, then download the rest after).

A new report now:

-Cherry Mobile One G1 H220

-Android 6.0.1

-Latest Version on Google Play Store 1.12.5-40

-My devices' touch keyboard doesn't work in-game. Cannot change my name on MP matches, nor look for specific add-ons, etc.

Have a great day!
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey Alep!
-My devices' touch keyboard doesn't work in-game. Cannot change my name on MP matches, nor look for specific add-ons, etc.
I experience the same problem.

It would also be really, really nice if you could let the phone choose the screen orientation depending on how you hold it instead of having it a fixed setting that can only be changed on startup. Sometimes I just forget about it and have to restart the app to change it when I'm already layed down, or I need to plug in my charger while playing, etc...
So yeah, would be really nice if you could add this option. (Or at least make it available from ingame)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Paulomat4 wrote:
I experience the same problem.
My suggestion is to use Hacker's Keyboard for playing wesnoth. It's free and available on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... pckeyboard
Paulomat4 wrote:It would also be really, really nice if you could let the phone choose the screen orientation depending on how you hold it instead of having it a fixed setting that can only be changed on startup. Sometimes I just forget about it and have to restart the app to change it when I'm already layed down, or I need to plug in my charger while playing, etc...
So yeah, would be really nice if you could add this option. (Or at least make it available from ingame)
That was the first try when I developed the functionality.
Unfortunately, the game itself does not handle window resolution changes, so unless some game developer has some hints about how to make wesnoth able to handle screen resizing I don't think I can do it (I'm lacking both time and BfW code knowledge for that).
SatHyre

Post by SatHyre »

Hello,
Thanks for the Android version.
Just a remark, it's very hard to write using the keyboard. Exemple to type g which is under t on the keyboard, i tap on t, then move my finger to g. Not really easy.
Is there another way to write?
just4fun

Post by just4fun »

Hi Alep,

I bought the v1.10 version at 2014 and had it on my Thinkpad tablet with a lot of fun time. Fast forward to 2015 and after moving my daily device to a Z2 Xperia tablet I was never able to work around the early exit problem the others also reported on v1.12. Not really a big deal as the legacy version is already good enough so I downloaded and tried your xperia apk from SourceForge once in a while but the early exit problem still persists.

Somehow last night Sony made the Marshmallow upgrade available and after the upgrade I dutifully retried everything. With a pleasant surprise, I was able to create a dummy game on the v1.12 port.

So now I can report that v1.12 works on Android 6.0.1 too.

Thanks a million again for your great work.

Regards,
Just4fun.