Android 1.12 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alep
Android Port Maintainer

Android 1.12 support thread

Post by alep »

This thread is for getting support and reporting bugs with Battle for Wesnoth Android Port published by me (Alessandro Pira).

My port is the one available on SourceForge here, where you can find sources and everything needed to install and run both 1.10 and 1.12 versions of Battle for Wesnoth on Android (apks and data files).

Also, it's published on Google Play here (1.12, latest app) and here (1.10, legacy app).

Before asking for help here please make sure you checked the FAQ page.

If you are reporting a problem, please provide the following information:

- what model is your device
- what version of Android it is running
- which version of my port you are running
- complete description of problem you’re having
Last edited by alep on March 31st, 2015, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by Paulomat4 »

hey,
how did you get google to accept the new port? :)
Anyways i'm glad that wesnoth is back in the playstore!

Small question:
I have already installed version 1.12.0 from your website. Can I keep my saves when downloading the app from the play store?
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Paulomat4 wrote:hey,
how did you get google to accept the new port? :)
Actually, I don't really know :)
I just received an e-mail from google saying that they've changed their previous decision. If someone, maybe working at Google, can explain me what happened, well, I'm curious too :D
Paulomat4 wrote: I have already installed version 1.12.0 from your website. Can I keep my saves when downloading the app from the play store?
You can export savegames from port menu (tap "Change configuration" button on startup, and then pick "Import/Export"), remove the application, reinstall from Google Play and then import back your savegames (same menu).
Keep in mind that Google Play is 1.12.1... savegames from 1.12.0 should work. However, if they don't you can still uninstall, pick the 1.12.0 package from sourceforge and drop back to that release again.
Ser-Binks

Post by Ser-Binks »

First, Thanks for your port and thanks for making it available to non Google Play users!

Is there a way to supply the Android app with the necessary files by adding them manually? I downloaded the 4 zip files (core, campaigns, translations, music) on my pc and wonder where to put them so it recognises their presence.
I would prefer this over downloading them from the Phone.
(Also you might consider making a small tool that imports thoose files from local storage instead of downloading if you feel like it.)

edit: Alright i have found an older post where you stated the files will be used when placed in the folder "sdcard". So i did that.
You still have to instruct the program to "download" thoose files and now it is importing them. Therefore this is solved, still i would suggest making the wording a little clearer, so it indicates the option of doing this.

Secondly have you ever considered making your wesnoth port available on f-droid (An Open Source software repository for Android)?
Link to their inclusion policy
Ser-Binks

Post by Ser-Binks »

I might need some help.
I often have the Load Game dialog come up, often multiple times in a row, without knowing why.
Is there some shortcut to open that I trigger without knowing?
Can I turn that off as it Interrupts my gameplay heavily?
(I am running standard settings. )
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Ser-Binks wrote:I might need some help.
I often have the Load Game dialog come up, often multiple times in a row, without knowing why.
Is there some shortcut to open that I trigger without knowing?
Can I turn that off as it Interrupts my gameplay heavily?
(I am running standard settings. )
Well, there is an on-screen-keyboard button for that, but you have to explicitly turn it on in the port menu accessible by tapping on the "Change configuration" button on startup. Have you activated it?
Also, default hotkey (which I think is CTRL+L) can be changed in game preferences screen. Please check that, too...
Max

Post by Max »

alep wrote:Actually, I don't really know :)
I just received an e-mail from google saying that they've changed their previous decision. If someone, maybe working at Google, can explain me what happened, well, I'm curious too :D
maybe someone at google has finally decided to listen to complaints, i've sent them some, i would guess others have too...
Ser-Binks

Post by Ser-Binks »

alep wrote: Well, there is an on-screen-keyboard button for that, but you have to explicitly turn it on in the port menu accessible by tapping on the "Change configuration" button on startup. Have you activated it?
Also, default hotkey (which I think is CTRL+L) can be changed in game preferences screen. Please check that, too...

I only have the button for the android keyboard turned on cnd the load game shortcut is the default ctrl+o.

However I use the S Pen of my Galaxy Note 1 (GT-N7000B) and that seems to cause issues.
Whenever I touch the screen with it pretty much always that menu opens. When using my finger that doesn't happen.
That's got to be a bug.

I am using the pointer follows finger mode
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Ser-Binks wrote: However I use the S Pen of my Galaxy Note 1 (GT-N7000B) and that seems to cause issues.
Whenever I touch the screen with it pretty much always that menu opens. When using my finger that doesn't happen.
That's got to be a bug.
Ok, please proceed as follows:

- check that your device is properly connected to internet
- start the game and hit "Change configuration" button to open the port menu
- pick "Startup options" and then chek "Send debug info to developer"
- go back and pick "Start game" to let the game run
- as soon as the game menu pops up use your pen to reproduce the same gesture that pops up the load game menu (it doesn't matter if in the main menu screen the load game dialog does not show up, I'm just interested in the logs that the gesture produces)
- tap and hold three fingers simultaneously on the device to pop up the port in-game options
- pick "Send debug info now"
- send me a private message to notify that you sent the report; please include in the message date/time of your report as I may need to find it amongst others

Thank you
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

Hi alep,

First of all, thanks for your wonderful work porting 1.12 to Android. :-)

I was going to suggest if you could have a look at this:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=581860

I know that you just port the original game, and do not add features to it. But as ‘async multiplayer’ makes sense mostly for mobile devices, I don’t know if it is feasible to implement it only in your version of the game.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ser-Binks

Post by Ser-Binks »

alep wrote:
Ok, please proceed as follows:
Thank you
Done. You're Welcome.
Seems to also happen on "hovering" the pen over the screen.
------

So it is really less of a struggle to maintain your port framework, than creating a full fledged android port (that has buttons in fingersize and stuff).
Is the old (few years) offical wesnoth app code stored anywhere public?
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Ser-Binks wrote: Done. You're Welcome.
Thank you.
I'll soon release the upgrade to 1.12.2, which will include the fix to your problem.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Version 1.12.2 is now available for Android.

If you installed from Google Play just wait for the automatic update, then start up the app to let the game patch the data folder (patch will be downloaded from internet, so make sure your connection is up and running).
If instead you got the package from sourceforge, download and install the new apk. You'll need to start up the game once to complete the upgrade by downloading 1.12.2 data files.

Also, since there is a security advisory, I've patched 1.10.7 too. If you installed from sourceforge you are encouraged to install the latest 1.10.7 apk. If you got if from Google Play, just let the automatic update run.
SAN_i

Post by SAN_i »

LG G3s
Android 5.0.2
Battle for Wesnoth LEGACY

Game closes time after time. This began from last update.

Is any way to fix this?
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

SAN_i wrote:LG G3s
Android 5.0.2
Battle for Wesnoth LEGACY

Game closes time after time. This began from last update.

Is any way to fix this?
Sorry for that. My fault.
I've just released a new APK. If you installed from Google Play, wait for the upgrade. If you installed from SourceForge, download the 1.10.7-39 apk and install it manually.