Android 1.12 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tobbe150

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by tobbe150 »

Sony xperia z3
Android 5.0.2

It does not start, after initial screen with "change configuration" it just crashes.

Legacy version works.

Any solution to this?
SAN_i

Post by SAN_i »

Thanks a lot. It works fine now!
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

tobbe150 wrote:Sony xperia z3
Android 5.0.2

It does not start, after initial screen with "change configuration" it just crashes.

Legacy version works.

Any solution to this?
Please send a debug report as described here:

http://www.alessandropira.org/bfw_android/faq.html#dbg

Since the game does not start you can skip the "Send debug info" steps, but please repeat the previous steps twice, as the second run may catch some log missed on the first one.
tobbe150

Post by tobbe150 »

I just started the game three times in a row with the option "send debug information. I hope it helps!
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

when i run wesnoth, various elements of the user interface are not in their proper place and there is no time of day indicator. Here's how it looks like.
Screenshot_2015-04-29-09-36-43.png
My device is a huawei S7 and wesnoth is latest stable version
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

tobbe150 wrote:I just started the game three times in a row with the option "send debug information. I hope it helps!
I have received the report. Unfortunately, I noticed nothing suspect (except for the game closing immediately).

Starting from Android 5 apps can only access their own log... which at first sight looks logical (except for log inspecting tools, but that's another story), but some errors may be missing from the report that wesnoth itself can produce.
Also, the problem looks like very specific to sony xperia zX device latest upgrade, which makes it harder to reproduce.

So, if anyone owning such a device can get a full logcat of the run and crash it may be helpful.

For now I'm sorry, but I cannot say much more... I'll investigate further and let you know.
Last edited by alep on April 30th, 2015, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

max_torch wrote:when i run wesnoth, various elements of the user interface are not in their proper place and there is no time of day indicator
I've noticed that even on PC version you cannot reduce game resolution below 800x600 (1.10 instead can run down to 800x480)... many mobile devices (including yours) cannot give so much space to the game. I suspect that this is the cause of the misplaced/missing graphic elements.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

alep wrote:
max_torch wrote:when i run wesnoth, various elements of the user interface are not in their proper place and there is no time of day indicator
I've noticed that even on PC version you cannot reduce game resolution below 800x600 (1.10 instead can run down to 800x480)... many mobile devices (including yours) cannot give so much space to the game. I suspect that this is the cause of the misplaced/missing graphic elements.
Actually it should be able to work on my mobile device because I also have the 1.10.7 version of BfW that you made before installed on the same device and when I run that version everything is displayed properly.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

max_torch wrote:Actually it should be able to work on my mobile device because I also have the 1.10.7 version of BfW that you made before installed on the same device and when I run that version everything is displayed properly.
I know, but even if I run 1.12 on a PC forcing it to 800x480 (with the command line './wesnoth -r 800x480') I cannot see the time of day indicator and can see some imperfections in the user interface.
Also 800x480 has been removed from the preference resolution dialog (I'm still talking about PC version).
So maybe it's not an Android related problem, it's just that anything below 800x600 isn't going to be supported anymore.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

No, I think 1.12 is supposed to support Pandora officially and therefore 800 x 480 is supported.

Can you post screenshots of what bugs you are seeing?

Edit: The only problem that I can see is that the "Level" text is misplaced, and only a few pixels of it are visible at the far right.

http://i.imgur.com/xddKmmZ.png
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

iceiceice wrote:The only problem that I can see is that the "Level" text is misplaced, and only a few pixels of it are visible at the far right.
^^Additionally in the picture I posted above the observer icon is in the wrong place, the turn limit text is not displayed properly, and the most important of all is that the time of day indicator does not appear.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Yeah I agree with you that it's a lot worse.

So I'll be honest with you, I doubt if anyone is going to fix it.
Spoiler:
The good news is that you do not have to recompile the game to make changes to the theme. You can look at "data/theme/default.cfg" and try to reposition things if you want it to be laid out differently.

The bad news is that the theme wml is quite unforgiving and evil, and no one likes to deal with it -- that's the root cause of the problems.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Well good news. From what you said I realized the root of the issue was the new 1.12 UI theme, so I just changed the theme to use the classic theme for the UI from 1.10 and now it's all displayed properly! And I am perfectly fine with using the old theme.
iceiceice wrote:So I'll be honest with you
Honesty is good! :D

Although IMO there is one feature that I will miss from the 1.12 and that is the terrain defense indicator at the right of the screen which shows anytime you hover the cursor over a unit. With the old theme it was more tedious to assess the defense of each opponent on where they stand.
JoelPera

Post by JoelPera »

Hi Alessandro, great work in porting this game, was very happy to discover it in the Playstore. I have two issues: installation and running it.

Installation: The apk file downloaded the game for me at least four times, despite me choosing only the basic core game and didn't run the game. I reinstalled it once and it downloaded it twice again but automatically started loading the game afterwards. I saw at least one person talk about the game not running and it repeatedly downloading in one of the Playstore reviews. Just thought you would like to know this.

Running:
Phone = Micromax A116
Android = Jellybean (4.2.1)
Port = 1.12.2-39
Description = The game starts fine but the virtual keyboard doesn't function properly. The problem is the keyboard area too responds to touch, so when you press a key, even the tile behind the keyboard gets selected.

Hope this helps and thanks for your time,
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

Hi alep!
I have just downloaded BfW 1.12.2 on Android 4.0.4 (unlike JoelPera, I didn't have any problems with the installation), then while I was trying to log in MP server I discovered that I cannot tip my nickname "pe_em". The reason of the problem is the fact that something changes _ to - whenever I write my nickname (pe-em instead of pe_em).

Thanks for sending BfW to Play Store.