Quote from other book policy in Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kente

Quote from other book policy in Wesnoth

Post by Kente »

Hi, with the 1.12 version (and after 3 years of playing Wesnoth) i want to start to create my first single player campaign. Sometime i write some tale and i like to put some quote from other books/movies/games/comics. I would like do the same in my campaing but i want to know if this is a violation of Wesnoth policy before start.
The quotes will be only in the dialogue text: i don't want make, i.e. a Lord of the Rings campaign with different name.
I will make some example and you can tell me if they would be allowed or not (the underline are the quotes)

1) After the protagonists reach the sea, one will say to other
This is the first time i can gaze at the sea, once on the other side there were the lands of the Gods. The tales said it was called Valinor but nowadays it lies no more on this earth
2) A new monk appears in the story and introduce himself
Hi, i am Adso and i am from Melk a far away town which lies in the mountains
3) In a comedy-style campaign, the protagonist is being captured by an enemy
the protagonist "Look behind you, a three headed monkey!"
The enemy"What are you stuttering?"
This are just the first examples who come to my mind, anyway i think they can express my point.
Dugi

Re: Quote from other book policy in Wesnoth

Post by Dugi »

1) If the Valinor that is no longer behind that sea was actually there and was important for the plot, then it would be unfit. But if they were just passing around and one of them speaks of an ancient legend to make the players laugh, then it would be fine. Funny references are everywhere.

2) I googled that it's related to The Name of the Rose from Umberto Eco. If that character is more than just a guy with little relation to the book, just with funny background, I guess it's fine, but if the character and his personality is based on that Adso, then it's not fine.

3) That should be fine, it is common in stories and also in real life that you specify a direction and tell that something unusual is there.

I think that the point is that copying plot elements without significant shuffling isn't okay, but simply making funny references for comedy is fine. Although I would be rather careful about names, writing Fallinor instead of Valinor might be better...
Kente

Post by Kente »

all the quotes are unimportant for the story. I like to put them in my narratives, but as a treasure-hunt. People who reads my tales can find some quote and can realize there are more quote which they didn't understand and maybe try to figure out what there are. Anyway the story is always unrelated to the quotes.

but if i have to write Falinor instead of Valinor, i prefer don't put it. Anyway no big deal, just i want to be sure before start to make my campaign
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I doubt anyone's ever gotten in trouble for that sort of thing, so I don't see why not. It's not like mainline campaigns are clean of pop culture references and such, either.