How to change themes (user interface)?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

koolza

How to change themes (user interface)?

Post by koolza »

Hi,

I played Wesnoth a while ago, and I remember I could change the interface (widescreen with 2 column if I have good memory) to show calculated damages directly on hover the unit I wanted to attack. I've been searching for like an hour and not a word about how to change the UI in Wesnoth. I didn't remember that was that hard last time I played, is it still possible? Is there another way to it that does not require clicking the button for each weapon each time I attack an enemy?

Thank you very much!
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: How to change themes (user interface)?

Post by Iris »

Check in Preferences → Display → Themes. However, if you are running Wesnoth 1.11.10 or later you won’t see any options other than the default theme and the Pandora-optimized (800x480 px) version; the widescreen theme was removed because it was completely broken and the maintainer didn’t have time to fix it before the feature freeze.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
koolza

Post by koolza »

Oh, OK, thank you very much for your answer.
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

I was very disappointed to find that the widescreen theme had been removed as I find the real-time combat odds invaluable, so I decided to have a go at my own version.

It's not perfect (I get some ghosting in the top left corner every now and again), but it gets the job done. I have left the right bar unchanged except for moving the time of day into the left sidebar to give a bit more room for odds on the right.

Please bear in mind that this is my first attempt at using ThemeWML and I don't intend to work on it further as it is good enough for my personal use, but I will upload it here in case anyone else wants to use it.

Note: this no longer works as of 1.12.4. If using the latest version of BfW, download the version in my next post below.
Attachments
asymmetric.cfg
Place in BfW 12.0/data/themes
(25.46 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
Last edited by gloccusv on October 9th, 2015, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of SP campaigns An Undead Incursion, A Beastly Tale and A Northern Village
and Asymmetric Widescreen theme for 1.12 & 1.14.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

gloccusv wrote:... as I find the real-time combat odds invaluable...
Yes.
Once used to it's hard to go without them.

My next approach to the issue is some popup.
snapshot1.png
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Another screenshot now using the usual transparency level of the text tooltips.
snapshot2.png
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

Due to a change somewhere between 1.12.0 and 1.12.4, my previous asymmetric widescreen file no longer works. Here is an updated file which does. The only difference is the removal of an include.

The file should be placed in BfW1.12.4+/data/themes where BfW1.12.4+ is your main Wesnoth directory.

I have added a second file for 1.14.4 and later (as explained below, it doesn't work for earlier versions). The only difference is that a few things have been removed to bring it in line with the mainline themes. The installation instructions are the same as for 1.12.
Attachments
asymmetric.cfg
Widescreen theme for 1.14.4 and later
(23.29 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
asymmetric.cfg
Widescreen theme for 1.12.4 and later
(25.44 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
Last edited by gloccusv on September 12th, 2018, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of SP campaigns An Undead Incursion, A Beastly Tale and A Northern Village
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

Something has broken the real-time combat odds in 1.14.x so that those less than 10% show up rounded to the nearest percent, whilst those of 10% and over are given in scientific notation to one significant figure; not very useful or readable. As a result, I won't be using 1.14 myself unless or until this is fixed, although I will eventually try to update my SP campaigns.

I don't believe there is any point in my uploading a new asymmetric.cfg file since it doesn't work acceptably.
enclave

Post by enclave »

hi, could you post a screenshot of any working version, just to have approximate understanding what it looks like? :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

This sounds like a bug that could be fixed; I'd just need to know the name of the ThemeWML tag used to display the real-time combat odds, and a summary of the expected behaviour (or you could post a screenshot demonstrating it).
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Landiss

Post by Landiss »

From what I've seen I believe it's the tags selected_unit_weapons and highlighted_unit_weapons. There need to be 2 tags, one for each unit. The tags also display list of weapons, so they replace the unit_weapons tag. However, highlighted_unit_weapons does not display any weapons if there is no unit selected (which I would say is a bug, since selected_unit_weapons does display weapons even if there is no unit highlighted).

It looks like this (ignore the messed up display, look at the numbers):
probabilities.PNG
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I have located the issue (someone, possibly even me, made incorrect use of the std::set_precision function) and committed a fix, which will be in 1.14.4 whenever that happens.

However, it would be useful if someone could verify the fix before then by building the 1.14 branch and trying a theme that uses it.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Landiss

Post by Landiss »

Thanks Celtic Minstrel. Though I imagine this is not difficult, currently I don't have the knowledge, tools and time to get those. Perhaps over the weekend, unless someone checks that earlier.
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

Wow! I wasn't actually expecting anyone to take the time and trouble to fix this issue (it works perfectly in 1.14.4, by the way). Thank you very much indeed.

I'll upload an updated theme file to my post above, although the one for 1.12 would probably still work. I'd better get round to updating my campaigns now.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Could you post a screenshot how it looks / what it does?
Try out the dark board theme.