heir to throne - muff malal''s penn. : build exp. army ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

qmuddy1

heir to throne - muff malal''s penn. : build exp. army ?

Post by qmuddy1 »

special attacks : how do you do this ? trying to build an experienced army : any hints / tips ? spent all my gold, recruited as many new units as I can afford, recalled all old units, trying to get some units to level 2, enemies keep being generated ? is there a difficulty setting or does this scenario default to easy ? thanks
kiss

Re: heir to throne - muff malal''s penn. : build exp. army ?

Post by kiss »

qmuddy1 wrote:special attacks : how do you do this ?
I suppose you talk about that : Unit Specialties
An example is here : Elvish Shaman. Look at attack, the ranged one; entangle, slows. Each time you use it you have a chance to slow the target.
qmuddy1 wrote: trying to build an experienced army : any hints / tips ?
I'm afraid this is what we are all trying to do, It comes with experience, playing again and again. Follow the link Play (in the top of that page) you'll find basics and an advanced section.
qmuddy1 wrote: spent all my gold, recruited as many new units as I can afford, recalled all old units, trying to get some units to level 2, enemies keep being generated ? is there a difficulty setting or does this scenario default to easy ? thanks
This is one way to build an experienced army.
I'm afraid not to understand what you mean. I've never play this scenario but you says something meaning you can't master the situation and then that it is too easy.
You can choose difficulty before starting a campaign, later on you can't modify it and have to stay stuck to your choice unless you start the campaign from scratch.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It sounds like you don't have any level-2 units yet, and you really should by this point. You will probably find the next scenario impossible without several leveled units. This is my tip: Be careful not to lose units with experience. As soon as a unit has about 10XP, it becomes important to save, and you should be more careful with it. Only attack when it has a good chance of surviving the attack and the AI's counter attack on the following turn. Also, do your best to get that unit even more experience by having it attack nearly-dead enemies. You need to concentrate all your experience in just one or two units at a time instead of spreading it around.

Muff Malal has a very high income, so he will get five new units on every turn. His units are weak though, and most of them have no ranged attacks so they are vulnerable to archers and magi. Recruit or recall lots of those. You will still need three or four fighters to handle the dark adepts which have a powerful ranged attack but are vulnerable to melee. On your first turn, recall one or two of your loyal mermen to go pick up gold from the islands. That will eventually give you a good income too.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lezthar

Post by lezthar »

Do what I did (for hardest difficulty):

1. recruit nothing in the first scenario (send leader far west and then north/send delfador north for a couple turns to pull north-west army to him,then south west retreating)

2. spend all your money on horsemen in the second scenario (if played right you should have at least 5-6 surviving horsemen with 10-25 xp each)

3. recall/recruit a couple mages/horsemen as well as a couple fighters/shamans and an archer in the third scenario (do not seize all villages, allow enemy enough income to recruit 1-2 units per turn, once majority of enemy leader's money is gone single out enemy units and surround them and use weak ranged attacks to get lots of exp and also do this to the enemy leader, defeat the enemy leader on your last remaining turn

4. once I reached scenario 4 I had 2 knights and several experienced horsemen, several mages near promotion, 6 shamans needing 1-3 experience for promotion, 2 fighters with good experience and 1 elvish archer with good experience.

5. entering scenario 5 you should have a line up of level 2s as well as a good bunch of experienced level 1s.

The key with HTTT I found is don't complete scenarios too quickly as you lose out on valuable experience, this campaign gives you tons of gold, so gold should never be an issue.