Wesnoth 3D

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ELIADOR

Wesnoth 3D

Post by ELIADOR »

Hey guys, Wesnoth is great but it is missing something! It would be better in 3D. I'm not saying that it should have 3d graphics but about making a MMORPG game based on wesnot and it should be 3D.

Post your thoughts about my idea on this topic. :D
A while ago...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Wesnoth 3D

Post by Velensk »

If you're doing the work I don't see why not.

Then again, I don't know why you'd want to base your MMORPG on Wesnoth because by the time you create 3-D graphics for everything you might as well have done your own thing from the start.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Awesome answer Velensk. :D

But, believe it or not, there are already two games out there that are 3D evolutions of Battle for Wesnoth:
  1. Silvertree
  2. GalaxyMage
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Sounds kinda nice! Be sure to give us a link when you have something playable and good luck with your project!
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It was a positive surprise to see that it's being done, but... both were unfortunately abandoned more than five years ago, probably working on obsolete versions of engines and thus problematic to revive.

I personally find drawing 3D graphics easier than drawing 2D graphics (I have created two portraits by creating a 3D model, rendering it and then editing it to create make it look like drawn normally), especially animation (which seems to be the weakest point), and I think that when changing wesnoth's graphic system from SDL to SDL2, they should change it to to Blender or maybe Ogre3D instead. But idea rejected, this game must be a bit retro-styled and sprites must be easy to create (easy to create with bad results, extremely hard to create with good results).
But this is just a rant, feel free to ignore it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ELIADOR wrote:Hey guys, Wesnoth is great but it is missing something! It would be better in 3D. I'm not saying that it should have 3d graphics but about making a MMORPG game based on wesnot and it should be 3D.

Post your thoughts about my idea on this topic. :D
Well, my thoughts are that 3D is not better, at least not in this case.
(I know, all this has been said before.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Too bad it's not still april fools or we could announce Wesnoth 1D.

"Wow the artwork here is amazing..."
"It is truly incredible what the artists can do with just a single row of pixels!"
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Incidentally, we already discussed this, not too long ago.
iceiceice wrote:Too bad it's not still april fools or we could announce Wesnoth 1D.

"It is truly incredible what the artists can do with just a single row of pixels!"
Who needs 1D when you can have 0D and require even less resources?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

shadowm wrote:Who needs 1D when you can have 0D and require even less resources?
That's true... It wouldn't even have to be a computer program anymore. It could become a hotline that you dial with your touch-tone phone!

Just think of the possibilities.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

iceiceice wrote:Too bad it's not still april fools or we could announce Wesnoth 1D.

That was funny, thanks :)
ELIADOR

Post by ELIADOR »

So wesnoth 3D was a fail and it is better in 2D... This idea came to me because I loved wesnot and MMORPG games so why don't have both? But wesnoth is better in 2D..... It would be great in1D and the best in 0D. :D
Thank you guys for showing me that wesnoth is the best as it is now!
A while ago...