Is there any description of statistics window (GUI)?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
Amok
Posts: 15
Joined: October 5th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Is there any description of statistics window (GUI)?

Post by Amok »

Subj. I could not find any information about what that numbers and "%" in "Damage" mean.
For example, how understand this (attach):
Attachments
Statistic window
Statistic window
statistics_window.png (33.24 KiB) Viewed 1553 times

JaMiT
Developer
Posts: 511
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 12:38 am

Re: Is there any description of statistics window (GUI)?

Post by JaMiT »

The percentages are simply another way to present the fractions that precede them.

Overall, 89 damage was inflicted, while the expected value for damage inflicted was 73.4. That means inflicted damage was 89/73.4 = 121% the expected value, or 21% above the expected value.

Overall, 92 damage was taken, while the expected value for damage taken was 87.1. That means taken damage was 92/87.1 = 105% the expected value, or 5% above the expected value.

Amok
Posts: 15
Joined: October 5th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Re: Is there any description of statistics window (GUI)?

Post by Amok »

Thank you for answer.

But what does it mean "expected' and why expected damage are fractional?
I didn't see attacks with 7.1 damage )

JaMiT
Developer
Posts: 511
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 12:38 am

Re: Is there any description of statistics window (GUI)?

Post by JaMiT »

Expected value is a term you'll likely encounter fairly often when dealing with statistics. In a simple Wesnoth case, if your unit has a 60% chance to hit and do 7 damage (hence a 40% chance to miss and do 0 damage), then the expected damage from that strike is 7 x 60% + 0 x 40% = 4.2 damage. Add that up over each strike.

The actual calculation is a little more complex, though. It does factor in things like a 7-damage strike against a unit with only 4 health left really only does 4 damage. Also, if a unit has a chance of dying, then that chance reduces the probability of the unit striking later in that combat. But it still comes down to a sum of probabilities times damage.

Amok
Posts: 15
Joined: October 5th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Re: Is there any description of statistics window (GUI)?

Post by Amok »

Thank you once again for replying.

Post Reply