Is it useful? Unit level 1 with leadership ability.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Galadriel

Is it useful? Unit level 1 with leadership ability.

Post by Galadriel »

I've seen the description of some units in Wesnoth and I realized that the Sergeant has leadership ability.

Leadership bonus only works with units with lower level. Example, an elvish fighter(level1) has bonus with an elvish captain(level 2) or an elvish hero(level 2) with an elvish marshal(level 3) but it doesn't work with an elvish hero and an elvish captain because both are level 2.

If Sergeant is level 1 and has leading ability, what's the use of that?
It could work with units level 0, for example bats or undead's zombies. But it is not possible 'cause leadership ability only works with your troops and not with your allies.

So, I think that leadership should work with units with the same level or the sergeant should not have leadership ability because, as I see it, it has no use.

PD.- I don't speak english, sorry for any mistake.
monochromatic

Re: Is it useful? Unit level 1 with leadership ability.

Post by monochromatic »

The Sergeant indeed has the leadership ability, however it is not found in the Default era, unless manually placed by a multiplayer scenario author. Thus, it is fine that he has leadership.

If you want to see where his leadership has effect, cf. Peasant and Woodsman, both common level 0 units, often recruited in single-player campaigns.

EDIT: A rather silly mistake.
Last edited by monochromatic on January 10th, 2014, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The Sergeant’s leadership is still useful in the event that you can recruit Peasants, Woodsmen, Ruffians, or you can level him up to Lieutenant — and you certainly want to do the latter if given the option.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Galadriel

Post by Galadriel »

Ok. I'm agree, but peasants, woodsmen and ruffians are too weak. I only would recruit them if I do not have anything better.

I think that I can happen in first scenario of a campaing where you have only level 0 recruits and the sergeant is the leader and protagonist of the campaign.

Thanks for answering :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Don't forget the goblins.

Granted, they don't level up any further, but the level 1 Goblin Rouser has leadership, useful for the level 0 Goblin Spearman.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I think his question wasnt about just a leadership (so talking about units from other default faction which have it and how can use it is useless) but he asked about usefulness of the Sergeant in Loyalists army. I dont remember is it possible to recruit 0 lvls in loyals army (without using any events) so in default games this unit is completely useless and not worth to recruit (i think its created for campaigns mostly).

Beyond the default games you have also multiplayer scenerios or campaigns (as Modified World Conquest). In such a campaign your recruit list depends of your leader (now im talking about MWC) type, you get 4 recruits from 1 lvl and 1 from 0 lvl, so there leadership can be more usefull than in default game (cause for sure you got some 0 lvls). Besides this, leadership in this campaign is a bit modified (which as for me should be done in mainline era too), it works also for teammates units (this can be usefull for players, but there is more ai sides in 4/5/6 maps so if they got some higher lvl unit with leadership then all adjeced our enemies have increased dmg).
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Level1 leadership should affect comrades of same level, due to how default mp progresses. But dont do it for the later levels, unit turns out to be a 'must have', i had gone through testing this in a mod. :lol:
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ChaosRider wrote:I think his question wasnt about just a leadership (so talking about units from other default faction which have it and how can use it is useless) but he asked about usefulness of the Sergeant in Loyalists army. I dont remember is it possible to recruit 0 lvls in loyals army (without using any events) so in default games this unit is completely useless and not worth to recruit (i think its created for campaigns mostly).
Have you even read the answers? Or know the unit at all? You dismiss the lv 0s as being non-recruitable, but don't dismiss the unobtainable sergeant? Because unless there is a scenario event doing otherwise, it is absolutely impossible to get a sergeant in default MP. As impossible as having peasants, wondsmen and ruffians. So the point is rather moot...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Dixie wrote:
ChaosRider wrote:I think his question wasnt about just a leadership (so talking about units from other default faction which have it and how can use it is useless) but he asked about usefulness of the Sergeant in Loyalists army. I dont remember is it possible to recruit 0 lvls in loyals army (without using any events) so in default games this unit is completely useless and not worth to recruit (i think its created for campaigns mostly).
Have you even read the answers? Or know the unit at all? You dismiss the lv 0s as being non-recruitable, but don't dismiss the unobtainable sergeant? Because unless there is a scenario event doing otherwise, it is absolutely impossible to get a sergeant in default MP. As impossible as having peasants, wondsmen and ruffians. So the point is rather moot...
You just repeated what I wrote. 0 lvls in loyals army arent able to recruit in default games (player vs player) so sergeant arent usefull there, next time read well other player post ok, thx.
Spoiler:
Last edited by ChaosRider on January 10th, 2014, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

ChaosRider wrote:
Dixie wrote:Have you even read the answers? Or know the unit at all? You dismiss the lv 0s as being non-recruitable, but don't dismiss the unobtainable sergeant? Because unless there is a scenario event doing otherwise, it is absolutely impossible to get a sergeant in default MP. As impossible as having peasants, wondsmen and ruffians. So the point is rather moot...
You just you repeated what I wrote. 0 lvls in loyals army arent able to recruit in default games (player vs player) so sergeant arent usefull there, next time read well other player post ok, thx.
...and you just repeated what he wrote.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

While I agree that the issue of Sergeant having leadership 1 is moot in the default era (where you can't recruit him), AFAIK there aren't many possibilities to use it in campaigns either. In HttT, EI and SotBE you can get a level 1 leader (Warven, Gweddry Kapou'e, respectively), but you can't recruit level 0. In TSG, TRoW and DiD you can recruit level 0 units (peasants or WCs), but you don't get any level 1 unit with leadership. AFAIK only way to have level 1 leader and level 0 units in mainline are DW and NR. In the latter Tallin only gains leadership later in the campaign (so he might be level 2 or 3 by then). There are probably more opportunities in UMCs, but there is almost anything in the UMCs anyway...
Level1 leadership should affect comrades of same level, due to how default mp progresses. But dont do it for the later levels, unit turns out to be a 'must have', i had gone through testing this in a mod.

There is an ability like that called "inspiration" in THoT. And it's possible to give a unit leadership of different level than its unit level (though that would be confusing for players).
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ChaosRider: Maybe the tone was harsher than I intended, my apologies for that. You however still miss the point: yeah, sure, the sergeant is mostly useless in default games since you cannot recruit lv0s. Good news though: you cannot recruit sergeants either. Hence, your point is a bit moot.

Anyway, this is getting a bit absurd, so I'll just leave it at that.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth