how long will this game survive?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

max_torch
Inactive Developer

Re: how long will this game survive?

Post by max_torch »

I play for months and after a while Im gone for months again then after a while Im back for months again.. life is so demanding in other areas...
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I haven't played this game in quite a while, mostly due to lack of skill in creation areas (attempting to create my own faction [Era of the Future-which I am pleased to see at least partially still in use in the Ageless Era {thanks mnewton :) }]) and life kind of hitting me like a brick wall and leaving me with no teeth to bite back into this tasty morsel. However I was greatly saddened to see the lack of users online which greatly differed from when I frequented this forum (I doubt I'll see 50 users online today). I also got scared when I noticed how infrequently there were posts from (a great number of the ones I saw were from June or July). When I checked the faction and contribs section, along with other umc threads I noticed a decent amount of posts at recent times. I say this game is just on the backburner for most, especially while this economy still isn't blessing me any.

Have faith in the community, it will grow again :)

btw, Turuk! Nice to see you again!

[EDIT]
Btw, I meant 50 registered users, not guests.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Mirion147 wrote:Have faith in the community, it will grow again
An excellent sentiment.
Mirion147 wrote:btw, Turuk! Nice to see you again!
Thanks! Glad to see that you are back as well. :P
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Mirion147 wrote:(I doubt I'll see 50 users online today).
I think Bots used to be counted as Registered Users, until relatively recently.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Even so, there are only like 8-10 on at a time, I believe.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
alluton

Post by alluton »

Most users ever online was 116 on November 22nd, 2013, 8:08 am
In total there are 37 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden, 4 bots and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)

There doesn't seem to be a lack of users online. Most of them are just browsing forums as guests. This could be affected by the fact that Wesnoth forums do not suffer from problems many gameforums usually suffer.( My personal experience) Because of that community members do not post something without actually thinking first. It may look like low forum activity at first.

If you compare Wesnoth forums with paradox forums, you can see massive differences. If you ask a question on paradox forums there is a good change first 10 posters are answering just based on your thread title and the second 10 posters are arguing with the first 10. Here forum posts generally have something in them. It is a good thing. Better than massive activity filling the forums with useless spam IMHO.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

There doesn't seem to be a lack of users online. Most of them are just browsing forums as guests. This could be affected by the fact that Wesnoth forums do not suffer from problems many gameforums usually suffer.( My personal experience) Because of that community members do not post something without actually thinking first. It may look like low forum activity at first.
I would agree with that. I browse this forum (almost) every day, but I bother to login only if I want to actually respond to some thread. I'm not sure what problems with gameforums you mean, but IIRC it happened to me few times that the forum ate my post and I had to write it again. For this reason when I want to write a long post I tend to write it in a text editor first and then copy+paste into the forum post. This actually ties with your next point about thinking before posting (or at least I think my post are well-thougtout ;) )
alluton

Post by alluton »

Those problems would mostly mean a lot of posters with either no knowledge to actually answer/discuss about the subject. That often leads to same thread having many simultaneous discussions inside them of which some are not related to the original subject at all. That also often allows easy sparking of flamewars. That makes very hard to have decent conversation destroying the very principle of even having a forum.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Mirion147 wrote:Even so, there are only like 8-10 on at a time, I believe.
Telchin wrote:
alluton wrote:There doesn't seem to be a lack of users online. Most of them are just browsing forums as guests. This could be affected by the fact that Wesnoth forums do not suffer from problems many gameforums usually suffer.( My personal experience) Because of that community members do not post something without actually thinking first. It may look like low forum activity at first.
I would agree with that. I browse this forum (almost) every day, but I bother to login only if I want to actually respond to some thread. I'm not sure what problems with gameforums you mean, but IIRC it happened to me few times that the forum ate my post and I had to write it again. For this reason when I want to write a long post I tend to write it in a text editor first and then copy+paste into the forum post. This actually ties with your next point about thinking before posting (or at least I think my post are well-thougtout ;) )
Pretty much the same as me. :D

But in my case, the forums randomly log me out, so I always have to post quickly after logging-in. It used to be that I was even able to take a nap during the log-in... I am not sure that it occurs on other users, but if so, it might be a reason why we don't see many user-names at the bottom.
------------------------

EDIT for the responses below:

Thank you, Elvish_Hunter, as usual, also aquileia.:)
I post here because of the off topic.
Last edited by SkyOne on January 2nd, 2014, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

And slowly this topic goes astray...

But yeah, I totally agree with Telchin and SkyOne, I'm on the forums about twice a day but never bother to login if not for posting.
SkyOne wrote: I was even able to take a nap during the log-in
Made my day, but perhaps you want to report that at the website-subforum... except of course if it is your internet connection's fault. At least for me, the forums are blazingly fast.

And in order not to be totally off topic :whistle:, both game and forum show a high level of care and are very competitive, so I have no worries they will survive eternally ;)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

alluton wrote:Most users ever online was 116 on November 22nd, 2013, 8:08 am
In total there are 37 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden, 4 bots and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
This has also been reset a number of times as a result of various changes/moves and what not, so it was actually much higher until the past month or two.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:But in my case, the forums randomly log me out, so I always have to post quickly after logging-in. It used to be that I was even able to take a nap during the log-in... I am not sure that it occurs on other users, but if so, it might be a reason why we don't see many user-names at the bottom.
@SkyOne:
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)