Odd statistics in custom MP scenario

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tuggyne

Odd statistics in custom MP scenario

Post by tuggyne »

So, I've been developing an MP scenario for a while (well, it's MP at the moment; it might really fit better in a campaign, but I have only vague ideas of what else to put along with it, so unless and until those coalesce it'll remain standalone). This scenario is rather unusual, in that it customizes special castle terrain in order to give one side extremely high defenses (80%, flat; this is likely to be tweaked once I get a chance to customize it for existing defenses), and substantially reduce mobility for all units on all other sides on that terrain (all unit move cost set to full max move speed, so 1 hex/turn at best); to balance this out, the defenders have vastly less resources (250 gp vs 800/800/800 for three allied attacking sides). All this works well enough as a prototype, and I've played quite a number of solo-vs-AI games in it, partly for fun and partly to work out quirks in the scenario and code.

However, one odd phenomenon has surfaced during these sessions: the damage taken/inflicted values hover right around +/- 10-20% each, but of course casualty ratios are vastly in favor of the defenders. What's up with that? Shouldn't damage taken be around, I dunno, -300%, given how much harder it is for the attackers to hit the defenders? Or am I completely misunderstanding the purpose of those statistics? :hmm:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Odd statistics in custom MP scenario

Post by Pentarctagon »

Those don't have anything to do with the number of losses, those are the expected values compared to the actual values.

Say unit A attacks unit B with a 6-2 attack, unit B has a 70% chance to dodge, and unit A hits once. The expected damage dealt by unit A is 3.6 (0.3 * 12), while the actual damage dealt is 6. So the percentage that would show up in the statistics would be +167% (6 / 3.6) damage dealt for side A/damage taken by side B.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
tuggyne

Re: Odd statistics in custom MP scenario

Post by tuggyne »

Pentarctagon wrote:Those don't have anything to do with the number of losses, those are the expected values compared to the actual values.

Say unit A attacks unit B with a 6-2 attack, unit B has a 70% chance to dodge, and unit A hits once. The expected damage dealt by unit A is 3.6 (0.3 * 12), while the actual damage dealt is 6. So the percentage that would show up in the statistics would be +167% (6 / 3.6) damage dealt for side A/damage taken by side B.
Ah, OK, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks. :)