I'd like more onscreen notification of what's happening

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Kirsten

I'd like more onscreen notification of what's happening

Post by Kirsten »

Hello, all.

There are bits of information that I wish were available during play that I don't think currently are, and some that are available, such as scenario name and objective, that I wish were a constant part of the screen environment. If there were no screen space unused, I wouldn't be making this point, but there's the bar along the top where terrain and defense are posted, and most of that goes unused -- plenty of room for a scenario name, right-justified in that space, and perhaps the objective could be a tooltip when hovering the cursor over the scenario name.

The scenario name would be a convenience, and it would help me more quickly learn to match scenario names with their looks and feels, for later reflection (I trust I'm not the only one whose brain works on strategies at odd moments away from the computer), and for reading about them on this forum.
___

What would be more fundamentally useful, though, is, in the black space at the lower right, an ongoing account during exchange of blows of who's involved, and who's taking what damage at each swing. I see points floating up from the two units fighting, but it goes so fast that sometimes it's hard to make good sense of it. Having the two units named in that lower right corner, with their HP updated with each swing, would help me make sense of what's happening, and better understand the mingling effects of various factors affecting the fight. (Slowing the action down in Preferences is one option for slowing down the fighting, but making everything slower is not really what I want; I want to be able to review what just happened.)
___

What would be even more helpful is, in that lower right corner, after each exchange of blows, the result of the latest mutual whacking, showing net changes of HP and XP for each of the two units who've just fought. Often, when a unit of mine is killed, I'm not even sure who it was, beyond maybe species, and maybe level. Especially when things don't go as expected, I get rattled. I sometimes can't recall the unit's characteristics, and so I don't know what it is I've just lost, and how that should affect my strategy. When I'm feeling urgent about it, I'll go back to the previous turn, and try to figure it out from there, but that's tedious.

Is there some way of accessing this information already? Even if there is, I'd still like to have that information automatically onscreen, since there is room for it.

As long as I'm dreaming, I'll toss this in as well. I'd love to be able, at the end of a scenario, to see what and whom I've gained and lost within that scenario. This seems so basic that I think it must be available somewhere, and I've just missed it.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'd like more onscreen notification of what's happening

Post by Paulomat4 »

anyway, a new interface is already in developpement. If you have bfw 1.11.5 you can already try it out, although its not completely playable at the moment. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl

Drakilian

Post by Drakilian »

For lost units you could always check your statistics, and then your losses. Of course, in longer scenarios you'll have so many unit deaths that it'll be practically impossible to tell what you've lost, but it would work for earlier scenes.

Can't do it for kills though, the units you kill would be near-impossible to count from the statistics. At least, not without tediously noting down everything on paper or a word document.

Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

In bfw 1.10.6, in the statistics dialog box you can click on details to see a running total of your recruits, recalls, advancements, loses, and kills tallied by unit type.

On bfw 1.11.6 (not sure if it's the same in 1.11.5) the statistics dialog box has enhanced functionality. In addition to seeing a running total for the campaign, there is a nice campaign/scenario toggle button, so you can see all your recruits, recalls, advancements, loses, and kills for that particular scenario. You can even view information specific to previous scenarios that you've already completed in that particular campaign.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten »

I'm using bfw 1.10; apparently it's the latest available for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Thanks, Chief_Chasso and Pauloma14, for the news about the newer releases. I'll look forward to the enhanced functionality; I'm sure it'll reach me eventually. It does sound like a step in the right direction.

I just wish, when I see one of my guys fade suddenly from the field, I could review what just happened, so I could learn from it. Especially if I hadn't planned to sacrifice that unit, then I'd like to look at the data that pertain to that particular exchange of blows, to see whether I would make the same decision again (i.e., it was just long odds that the unit would get killed), or whether I wasn't paying enough attention, and lost the unit due to poor judgment.

Another solution, besides a data blob in the lower right, would be the option to review just one exchange of blows -- like the replays that are available for whole scenarios, not with the ability to change the decision, but just the ability to rewatch what has just happened.

And thanks to you also, Drakilian; I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't yet made friends with the statistics list. You're right; it's pretty limited, but it's definitely better than nothing, and I'm glad to know it's there.

JaMiT
Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Kirsten wrote:If there were no screen space unused, I wouldn't be making this point, but there's the bar along the top where terrain and defense are posted, and most of that goes unused
That depends a lot upon your screen resolution or window size (depending on whether you play full-screen or in a window). At the smaller resolutions, there is not so much space. It might be possible to make additional information appear at higher resolutions, but then again it might not be as simple to do as you were thinking.
Kirsten wrote:I'm using bfw 1.10; apparently it's the latest available for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
The 1.10 series is the latest version for those who would be upset if the game started crashing every 5 seconds. (A bit of hyperbole there, but if you are not willing to risk the game crashing at a crucial moment, then the development releases -- 1.11.x -- are not for you... yet.)

Chief_Chasso wrote:On bfw 1.11.6 (not sure if it's the same in 1.11.5) the statistics dialog box has enhanced functionality.
That goes back to 1.11.1, in fact. ;)

Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

JaMiT wrote:That goes back to 1.11.1, in fact.
Thanks JaMiT. I wasn't quite sure when this was implemented. I've been playing on 1.10.6 for the longest time and finally decided to take the plunge into the development series so I had no idea.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten »

Thanks, JaMiT. I'm not a developer, and I often forget obvious things like screens looking different for different users. There's nothing like ignorance to make things look easy!

And I would indeed be frustrated by the program crashing. I'm very pleased to be using the 1.10! Thanks for filling me in.