Features for 0.7?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

gbu's idea makes sense, becuase if the yellow units are last then you can stop selecting the next unit once you hit a yellow one. It makes sense to me that units that have alreayd move partially should be less important to move than those that have moved already. Of course you can always select units the old fashioned way if you want to move a unit out of order.
Christophe33

A few suggestions

Post by Christophe33 »

I have a few suggestions to improve this already good game:
- Limit the number of time a unit can fight back when attacked. Example, a champion that would be attacked by 5 or 6 units in the same turm (i.e animated corpse) is fighting back (up to 5 attach each time) against each of them. It is actually a good way to get rid of these weak units but not very realistic. Maybe the second time a unit is attacked it should hit back only one time. It could be usefull too when you attack powerfull eneny units.

- On the other end a good special power for some units like marksman would be the ability to split their attack against 2 or more units they are adjacent to. It always seem a waste when you have a very strong unit nearby two or three weak/wounded enemy and you can only attack one. To avoid making it too powerfull the enemy units adjacent to the attacker shall be able to hit back even if the one attacked first is killed.

- There have been quite a few post already about allowing units to fortify or have a bonus in defence if they don't move. It would be a really big plus for the quality of the game that now gives too much advantage for the side that initiates attacks. It might make some scenario a bit more challenging since Konrad side is usually the one that have to go places and kill other leaders. A slight extension of the time would then help if the enemy place units in defense and wait for you.
I think the fortify mode should works along this line:
Only a unit that haven't move or been under attack can fortify.
After it fortify, it can't move or attack for that turn...and if a unit want to move after being fortified it can do it only at 1/2 move rate.
Fortification should give a good defensive bonus, like a reduction of domage by 25%-50 %, maybe variable upon unit type/terrain type. For example dwarf fortified in hills/mountain/cave would have a better bonus that in plain.
Some unit shall not be able to fortify (aerial units, horsemen, troll, animated corpse...) and lans unit can't fortify in water.
Upon being attacked in melee, a unit with good missile attack should be able to fight back first with their missile attack (one time) then their melee attack. It sounds logic that they are waiting for the enemy and will shout it first before it close up in arm to arm fight.

Finally (for this post), you might consider in the future to add a "morale" feature. It's sed a lot in classical strategic wargame to mimick the fact that few really fight to the bitter end if they can avoid it. A unit will start with a given morale (on a scale 0-100) and being tested for its morale after a fight. If too much wounded it might flee at full speed or surrender. A fleing unit would fight only at 1/2 strengh if attacked until being reorganised either spontanously or by a leader. There quite a lot of good example of rule for morale in wargames to base the system upon. It will make undead more effective (they will usually not flee and would be scary to normal units).
Hope it helps,
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Kamahawk

Re: A few suggestions

Post by Kamahawk »

Christophe33 wrote:I have a few suggestions to improve this already good game:
- Limit the number of time a unit can fight back when attacked. Example, a champion that would be attacked by 5 or 6 units in the same turm (i.e animated corpse) is fighting back (up to 5 attach each time) against each of them. It is actually a good way to get rid of these weak units but not very realistic. Maybe the second time a unit is attacked it should hit back only one time. It could be usefull too when you attack powerfull eneny units.
This has allready been dicused and decided ageinst
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience

Post by Guest »

The suggestion about multi-attacks is appealing. I had been thinking
myself that something like "Cleave" in D&D might be cool. Maybe
if you have three attacks and you use up only one in killing one
enemy, you could use the rest against some other enemy that's
adjacent to you? The problem with this idea, of course, is if you are,
say, a cuttlefish with 10 melee attacks. If you use one missile attack
to kill someone, do you then get 9 melee attacks on others? Maybe
it could work more like cleave (only vaguely) -- if you take out an
enemy with one attack and you have some left, there's a small
probability that the remaining attacks will be applied to a randomly
chosen neighbor (who must be an enemy, of course).
miyo

Post by miyo »

Anonymous wrote:if you take out an
enemy with one attack and you have some left, there's a small
probability that the remaining attacks will be applied to a randomly
chosen neighbor (who must be an enemy, of course).
So you kill 'walking corpse' and die yourself attacking adjacent 'Death Knight' that was randomly chosen.

The way it is currently is very simple - simple is good.

- Miyo
gbu

Post by gbu »

Good point. But then, that's also an argument against the Champion
unit defending itself as vigorously as it does. I tend not to use
Champion units in certain situations because they defend
themselves so well that they frequently die. Sounds odd?
I suppose it is. What happens is that
they actually *kill* the first three or so monsters that attacked them,
so the fourth one gets them. If they fought slightly less well, the
other enemies wouldn't have a chance to get at them (because
there would be injured bodies in the way). Hmm, maybe there
should be dead bodies during the attack phase or something...
miyo

Post by miyo »

gbu wrote:Hmm, maybe there
should be dead bodies during the attack phase or something...
This has been discussed and "rejected".

- Miyo
Khiraly

Feature request

Post by Khiraly »

I have an idea:
Its 2 modes at the moment:
-normal speed
-turbo speed

The normal speed is too slow, is it an eternity to wait for the enemie finish her movements.

The turbo speed its good at the and of turn. But at the playing fo the game its confusing(destroy the game-athmosphere)

SO what I do at the moment is:
When I considered to finish my turn, before I click on the 'End turn' I switch to TURBO mode. After the computer finished her movements, I reswitch to normal speed.

Its not to practice and slow and I forgot allways to switch at the and to TURBO mode, and I must wait to many(I can make a cafe at thsi time)

SO my proposition is:
Have an alternative TURBO mode: HALF-TURBO
My movements are NORMAL speed(when I think about) but when I finish the turn the movements of the computer are TURBO speed.

I hope you understand my idea.

Cheers,
Khiraly
miyo

Post by miyo »

ctrl+a to toggle between normal and accelerated mode. Hold shift down to temporarily invert mode (e.g. holding shift down while in normal mode makes animations happen accelerated - as long as you hold that shift down).

- Miyo
Jaramir

Post by Jaramir »

another porpouse about turn speed: "Proportional Accelleration"

(it's referred to the "velocity" in the graphic, not on the number of exa that a unit can travel)

if the unit are far from each other and accellerated move is on than make the unit move fast, as the unit gets closer make em move at normal speed..

eg: in the first scenarion it's not interesting to see the southern orc moving his troop in the wood and along the road as i'm miles and miles away from him, when the situation is getting hotter i want to have the time to see enemy's strategic decision..

a porpouse could be (UnitTurnSpeed is recalculated at every exa that he travels)

Code: Select all

NormalMode: K = 0
AccelleratedMode: K = 0.5 (around)
UnitTurnSpeed = TurnSpeed + TurnSpeed * K * DistanceOfTheNearestEnemy
let's make an example

[orc][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][elf]

the orc moves against the elf, it's distance is "8" at the beginning fo the move and will be "0" when he is at base contact

http://wesnoth.slack.it/?ProportionalTurnSpeed
Halfling Power!!
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Jaramir wrote:another porpouse about turn speed: "Proportional Accelleration"
I like this idea a lot :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that rather than complex formulae for 'proportional acceleration', a simple solution would be that enemy units move accelerated normally, and at normal speed when they are going to attack at the end of their move (or possibly when the move takes them within n hexes of the player's units).

Also, an idea for normal movement rates would be to make units move faster or slower depending on the movement points expended to get through types of terrain. E.g. if an Elf is told to move across three hexes which includes 2 grassland and 1 water tile, he would take three times as long to move across the water tile as he would to move across the grassland.

Among other things, this would give the player a clearer feel of which terrain types are easy to cross, and which are difficult.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
illusionmi

8 Pages and one mention of the recruit/recall System?

Post by illusionmi »

This is the best game I have come accross in a long time. I do have some sugesstions about the recruit/recall system. It is painfull to go to the menu for each unit I want to recall.

Idea 1
Select Recall from menu (or shortcut key).
You then get a window with 2 columns.
The column on the left has all recruitable units.
You should be able to select units on the left and add them to the column on the right.
The column on the right shows you how many empty spaces you have in your castle and counts down for every unit you add to it (or back up if you remove a unit from the list).
Then when you have selected all the units you want to recall you click "Done"

This removes the need to continually select and scroll through recallable units, and also lets you configure your recall units as a group. (This could be essentially the same interface for recruiting units)

Idea 2
Select Recall from menu (or shortcut key).
You get the same window that is currently implemented in the game.
Check boxes and a counter are added so you can recall more units at a time.

(for recruiting units, instead of checkboxes mayb you could put in number fields)

IllusionMI
miyo

Post by miyo »

Experienced players sometimes select castle hex where they recruit/recall units: highlight castle hex -> recruit/recall -> unit gets recruited/recalled to highlighted hex.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

IllusionMI,

Although an easier to use recall system would be good, as miyo has pointed out, most experienced players prefer to explicitly specify which hex each recalled unit appears on.

Getting players used to a dialog which doesn't support this would be likely to discourage players from choosing which hex to recall units onto, and it would be left as a feature only usable by 'advanced' players.

We'd like a way to more easily recall units, but that does allow specification of the hex to recall them onto. Some kind of drag-and-drop interface might be best....but also difficult to implement.

I'm really not sure of a good way to do it...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming