How Do You Edit Downloaded Add-Ons?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

DavidBrasher

How Do You Edit Downloaded Add-Ons?

Post by DavidBrasher » June 2nd, 2013, 12:01 am

I like my game balanced just a certain way. Not too easy, not too hard. I like to adjust the amount of gold that different sides get and the amount of turns allowed to complete scenarios.

I have figured out how to edit the .cfg files for mainline campaign scenarios, but I can't find where the .cfg files are for downloaded add-ons. This is just for personal use. I will not upload the tweaked add-ons anywhere.

What directory are these downloaded add-on .cfg files in?

Moderator Emeritus

Re: How Do You Edit Downloaded Add-Ons?

Post by 8680 » June 2nd, 2013, 12:15 am

DavidBrasher wrote:What directory are these downloaded add-on .cfg files in?
[wiki=EditingWesnoth#Where_is_my_user_data_directory.3F]<userdata>[/wiki]/data/add-ons

DavidBrasher

Post by DavidBrasher » June 2nd, 2013, 2:21 am

I still can't find the .cfg files for the add-ons. There is nothing in my add-ons folder located at:

C:\Users\David\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.10\data\add-ons

I have Windows 7, 64 Bit and did the standard installation of Battle for Wesnoth rather than telling the wizard to install the game somewhere special. I know that the campaign add-on is properly installed on the machine, because I played it and it functioned okay.

doofus-01
Art Contributor

Post by doofus-01 » June 2nd, 2013, 2:32 am

Every add-on should have a file named "_main.cfg". If you do a file search for that, you should be able figure out where the add-ons are installed.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects

DavidBrasher

Post by DavidBrasher » June 2nd, 2013, 2:55 am

Stupid Windows 7. It turns out that my .cfg files for my add-ons are at:

C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.0\userdata\data

This location is invisible and cannot be reached using ordinary methods with Windows Explorer. I ended up making a special shortcut to AppData and putting it on my desktop. At least this location does not have the obnoxious User Account Control restrictions to have to outflank like the mainline quest .cfg files do. Stupid Windows 7. At least it is better than Windows 8.

Thanks for the help.

Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator

Post by Pentarctagon » June 2nd, 2013, 3:40 am

You can make the folder show up by going to control panel > folder options > view > show hidden files, folders, and drives.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit » June 2nd, 2013, 1:23 pm

If I recall correctly, during installation the game should have asked if you wanted to store your userdata in My Games or in Program Files.

Insinuator

Post by Insinuator » June 2nd, 2013, 10:26 pm

Gambit wrote:If I recall correctly, during installation the game should have asked if you wanted to store your userdata in My Games or in Program Files.
It does. For some reason, however, even when "My Games" is selected, it creates a duplicate folder in your VirtualStore area. As a Win7 64-bit user, I have not noted add-ons being replicated to here, but I guess it is obviously possible. Could have something to do with Win7 user account permissions.

DavidBrasher, are you a full Administrator, or a User?

Max

Post by Max » June 3rd, 2013, 7:16 am

any chance you're launching wesnoth not from the start menu link but from wesnoth.exe directly?