Any way to have a "fixed" RNG?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noxos

Any way to have a "fixed" RNG?

Post by Noxos »

What I mean is that every die roll is pretedermined and comes out the same every time. It would be a nice option if isn't already (just got into this game), rather than having to do it self imposed.
tr0ll

Re: Any way to have a "fixed" RNG?

Post by tr0ll »

Noxos

Post by Noxos »

Yeah it's not that I don't like the luck factor I do, and I enjoy it. I'm not talking about a purely deterministic game. I just mean that the luck of each round is predecided.

It's just that I wish the luck were "fixed" each time. I believe Jagged Alliance 2 did this. In other words no amount of reloading would change the fact that your 70% chance to hit misses that turn if you attack that particular enemy.
Max

Post by Max »

wesnoth uses a pseudorandom number generator (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_con ... _generator). i think in older versions (1.4?) it hasn't been reseeded if you reloaded within a scenario (maybe a bug, don't know) - i guess that's what you're looking for.

maybe it's still that way in newer version and i just didn't notice because i stopped "save-reloading":
Anonymissimus wrote:Not quite sure what you want, but [set_variable] rand= is already seeded afaik.
E.g. reload a saved scenario directly before an event outputting the results of some [set_variable] rand= -s - you will get the exact same results in the same order since random seeds are saved with the scenario wml.
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 30#p491549
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Noxos wrote:In other words no amount of reloading would change the fact that your 70% chance to hit misses that turn if you attack that particular enemy.
So instead, you reload and attack a different enemy until you find one that you will hit? Or maybe instead of starting with the 70% chance to hit, you start with the 30%. Then if that fails, you just reload and try the 40%. And so on.

There are ways to abuse reloading no matter how the RNG is seeded. In the end, it is up to you to choose not to.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I agree with JaMiT. Even if you somehow do fix RNG abuse, all you will do is annoy some people in a way that won't benefit anyone.
Noxos

Post by Noxos »

Ya pre-seeding is what I want (where re-loading it will make no difference if you try to attack the same unit again with the same unit you used before). I looked at that thread but I don't know anything about programming. So is there way to force the game to pre-seed? (I guess that's what it's called)

That quoted text says it's already that way in the game but if I reload an autosave and re-do the exact same moves I get a different result.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Noxos wrote:I don't know anything about programming. So is there way to force the game to pre-seed?
No, not without programming knowledge.
Noxos wrote:That quoted text says it's already that way in the game but [...]
Not quite. The quoted text is about random values generated via WML, while you have been talking about random values generated for combat. Those are quite possibly different pseudo-random sequences (but I don't know all the ways randomness is invoked by the game).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Noxos wrote:That quoted text says it's already that way in the game but if I reload an autosave and re-do the exact same moves I get a different result.
Are you using 1.10.x, 1.11.0, or 1.11.1? I think someone suggested that there might a bug with handling of the RNG state in some 1.11.x version.

As for me, when playing on 1.10.x it seems to me that reloading and performing the same moves and attacks doesn’t change the outcome, but I stopped paying attention to this kind of thing over time as I gradually stopped abusing the ability to save-reload during a game.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
taptap

Post by taptap »

If you don't save-reload you won't even recognize the difference :) The only point is probably mp with people you don't trust, but why would you want to play with people you don't trust?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I had worked on something like this sometime ago. It's far from perfect and might not be 100% compatible with newer releases (this was in the 1.8 - 1.9 days), but it's a start....
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

It would be pretty cool to have a preference that one could check that wouldn't allow saving/reloading- as in, you could save a game if it were a long one, but no reloading past ones. Many of us mere humans just don't have the will to not go back once in a while ;) At the same time, if you suck at Wesnoth like me, playing on easy generally tends towards less save spamming.
Noxos

Post by Noxos »

shadowmaster wrote:
Noxos wrote:That quoted text says it's already that way in the game but if I reload an autosave and re-do the exact same moves I get a different result.
Are you using 1.10.x, 1.11.0, or 1.11.1? I think someone suggested that there might a bug with handling of the RNG state in some 1.11.x version.

As for me, when playing on 1.10.x it seems to me that reloading and performing the same moves and attacks doesn’t change the outcome, but I stopped paying attention to this kind of thing over time as I gradually stopped abusing the ability to save-reload during a game.
I'm on 1.10.5
taptap wrote:If you don't save-reload you won't even recognize the difference :) The only point is probably mp with people you don't trust, but why would you want to play with people you don't trust?
Ya I know but I just prefer it built in I guess. Sort of like how it's nice to have an ironman mode built into an RPG rather than just not saving.