They say that a picture is worth 1000 words... (Spoiler)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

methinks

Post by methinks »

I will not argue furthermore, as I've been vetoed by David, heh ;P
Still I think that conrad is NOT president and should be able to lead Great Mage (or any other non-leader th level unit).

Just BTW - mountain pass seems to be REALLY tough getting past 1st mage (ie. killing him) is definitely easy, but the second one... seems to have lots of gold even on easy and lvl2 Ogres and Gryphons are way more powerful than any other unit that I posess... So I happen to loose like 4 3rd lvls and 3 2nd lvls... It suks, also I have twice lost (and therefore loaded a few turns back)... Dunno, those gryphons and ogres are slaughterymasters. And 2rd level dwarves are sooooooooooo weak.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

methinks wrote:I will not argue furthermore, as I've been vetoed by David, heh ;P
I haven't "vetoed" anyone, and I respect everyone's opinion on the matter.
methinks wrote: Just BTW - mountain pass seems to be REALLY tough getting past 1st mage (ie. killing him) is definitely easy, but the second one... seems to have lots of gold even on easy and lvl2 Ogres and Gryphons are way more powerful than any other unit that I posess...
Okay I will reduce the gold and income of the second mage by a quarter of their current values on 'easy'.

David
methinks

Post by methinks »

C'mon, this veto thing was kinda jke :) I mean I know you respect my opinion but if only you say that you dislike the idea I respect it and do not discuss furthermore, GNU or not still it is YOUR game. At least for me.

Come on (2nd time) don't believe me so easily at least ask me for save to prove it. Maybe I just suck at playing or am trying too agresive tactics. half joke, heh. I mean I really think that Gryphons and Golems are powerful and I do think that he recruits a lot of them but maybe I could have killed 2st leader faster and then would have more turns to finish off 2nd one and therefore could play less agressively (though it is hard with Gryphons they are FAST). Hmm dunno really. Maybe I wil send you my saves. The worst thing is that 3 gryhons/gryphon+2 golems, mainly at night may kill almost every unit you possess. What anyone else thinks?? Hmm maybe I shall move this exact post to Strategies and tips :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

methinks wrote:C'mon, this veto thing was kinda jke :)
Yes I thought so, I just don't want lurkers thinking that I go around brutally crushing people's ideas :)
methinks wrote: Come on (2nd time) don't believe me so easily at least ask me for save to prove it. Maybe I just suck at playing or am trying too agresive tactics.
I didn't "just" believe you. I was originally going to go to the scenario file, look at the stats, and then say "well, he only starts with x gold + gets x gold per turn, which isn't very much", but when I looked at the scenario file, I realized you were right: on 'easy' level he does get alot of gold, not that much less than on 'normal' level, and when I played on 'normal', I found the scenario to be pretty challenging.

So I figured you were probably right, and reduced his gold.

I do think Gryphons are powerful, especially so when there is fog about, since they can jump out of the fog, and strike at any of your units. Mages are especially vulnerable. Ogres aren't that powerful. You fight them way back on "Princess of Wesnoth". They have lots of hitpoints, but if you lure them out of the mountains, they are easy to hit, and certainly don't have the speed of the Gryphons.

Having to fighting Gryphons in fog is the real challenge of this scenario. You have to be very careful, especially with your valuable-but-weak units.

David
methinks

Post by methinks »

OK, I am still unsure about difficulty of this level maybe I am making a mistake. Well, dunno.
Ogres ARE powerful as it is hard to lure them out of mountains when you have mostly mountains around. Not only mages are vulnerable, also Sharpshooters and Avengers. I've recruited mostly those units as I though stronger ones will not deal much damage in mountians. My bad, there are bits of road there too... :)
Well all in all my problem there is that I can choose whether to attack a few steps back but still be reached by some enemies (but less), but this results in them attacking the way they want and whoever they want. But if I try to go at them I risk getting killed by many others (which... well, happens).