They say that a picture is worth 1000 words... (Spoiler)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Circon

They say that a picture is worth 1000 words... (Spoiler)

Post by Circon »

Heh, choke point for a 4-to-1 numeric advantage. Now if only bankruptcy did something for the AI...
My 12 gold per turn are holding off 35 gpt's worth of units. I get 20 healing points a turn, and have a forced 1-on-1 engagement area. Now if I could only find that *#€!" Scept(re/er)!

This is more than just a funny picture. It's also a help suggestion for players struggling with the current version, my request for the -ing AI to recognize that its 30+ units will not get through there in the next few days...
But most of all, this picture expresses my irritation with the essentially infinite AI units recently. The AI recruits many lvl 2 and 3 units (and on this level, they have 1000 gold on *EASY*.) and gets a steady flow of income, and does not have to worry about bankruptcy. I saw it on Hasty Alliance: I rushed up Delfador and 2 Dwarven Lords, took out the enemy troll leader in 1 turn and won.

The [income] tag is a good idea to prevent early rushes, but I have a suggestion to edit it: Make income equal 5x leader level. This gives some incentive to level up Konrad.
And on the side, could Konrad, Delfador and Kalenz have new advance levels? They have like 200 exp points each...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Interesting looking picture :)

You're right that the AI gets too much gold on that scenario. I've reduced it in RC2 for Windows, which is now available.

I don't think that it's going to be even feasible to make the AI do anything smarter at choke points. Anyway, I don't see it as so unrealistic that that's what a heap of ogres and trolls would do if they came to a choke point.

What are the alternatives for the AI to do, anyhow? Try to find another way around?
Circon wrote: And on the side, could Konrad, Delfador and Kalenz have new advance levels? They have like 200 exp points each...
Delfador is meant to be a character that has many years of experience. He once was a great mage, but his age has reduced his ability, it's not likely he'd become any more powerful.

Kalenz may be able to advance further, we'll see...

Li'sar and Konrad should be able to advance further. I would like to start them both off weaker, and allow them to advance further. The main thing holding it up is graphics...

David
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Dave wrote: Li'sar and Konrad should be able to advance further. I would like to start them both off weaker, and allow them to advance further. The main thing holding it up is graphics...
David
There are "young konrad" graphics... they're still unused.
Circon

Post by Circon »

As for advancing, I wouldn't mind re-using the leader graphics once or twice, since they don't really become new units, just slightly more skilled at fighting/leading. IMHO Konrad definitely needs a 4th level so that he can command all his troops.
methinks

Post by methinks »

Konrad should have 5th level at least to command ALL units (incl. 4th) so he should be generally able to advance to one level higher than any other unit. So at least his advancement should mean he can command units one level higher then previously, not necceserily adding other things. Also, his rank should change. i.e. from commander he should become lieutenant and then general (if this is correct order :P).
Heh, just kinda idea. Graphics could change slightly later, mainly clothes i think, maybe also his pose.
miyo

Post by miyo »

I think highest level should be 4th, otherwise we need to downgrade advancements -> which would lead to heavy rebalancing of most units.

4th level for great leaders should be enough, because then they can command all "generic" troops (which usually don't have 4h level).

- Miyo
methinks

Post by methinks »

Konrad should be able to command EVERYONE so I think he should after 4th level have around 300 exp left to 5th level which would ONLY enable him to command 4th levels. And nothin else, no more boosts.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Just because he's the heir doesnt mean that he has to be better than others :-)
IMHO 4th should be the max. Only great mages, Delfador, the queen and maybe a couple of units will have 4th level.
methinks

Post by methinks »

It's not actually about being better "Hey Defaldor you l005eR I 4/\/\ |e\/e| |-|Igher !!!!!!!!"
There is no such thing as level i tonly exist for game mechanism. And in the army there always should be greates commander, general or however you call it. It is baout commanding the army and for the sake of compability with the rule of being able to lead only lower level units Konrad should be able to go 5th level.
miyo

Post by miyo »

I just don't see Konrad commanding Delfador or Elven High Lords.

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Methinks,

even if President is the highest commander of army (modern), that does not mean president has 'leadership' over Generals and Admirals. Generals and Admirals might need blessing from President, but I don't see them asking tactical/strategical advices from him/her.

- Miyo
methinks

Post by methinks »

actually i wanted to mention it but though it was obviouleadership should only affect non-leader units which would exclude Defaldor, Elven Lord and others. At least this is how I see it. Well maybe he COULD affect 3rd level leaders but not 4rth level leaders (BTW making Konrad 4th level would make it possible that he would be commaning Defaldor :P )
Anyway there would be point in commanding generals someone has to have OVERALL tactic. So Defaldor needs to know where to go and strike and how and so on.
But still as I have said, commanding would not affect leaders 3rth or 2nd level leaders, as you wish.
miyo

Post by miyo »

methinks wrote: Anyway there would be point in commanding generals someone has to have OVERALL tactic.
Yes, but president does _not_ make that tactic, he usually only approves the tactic suggested by his generals.

- Miyo
Circon

Post by Circon »

methinks wrote: (BTW making Konrad 4th level would make it possible that he would be commaning Defaldor :P )
As I see it, the player has control over Delfador (and the others, of course) and is supposedly role-playing as Konrad.
I don't think Konrad needs better stats, or even new graphics, really. I just want him higher level so that his "command" ability can be more useful.
Ath the moment, my main fighters are:
Dwarven Fighters, which are too weak to risk Konrad right behind them
Lvl 3 units (e.g Elven Avenger, Champion, Dwarven Lord) which Konrad cannot command.

Besides, does it really need to be seen as "tactics"? Can't his very resence inspire a morale boost? This would justify command ability on all leader units.
(and would also justify command stacking. "I feel honored to be fighting alongside such heroes!" but that's another idea for later...)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that an Elvish Marshal offering leadership to an Elvish Captain makes alot of sense.

I don't think that Konrad offering leadership to Delfador, or any Great Mage, makes much sense.

Anyhow, Konrad would have to be able to advance to level 6 to be able to offer leadership to Delfador, since Delfador is a level 5 Elder Mage.

The way it is at the moment, an Elvish Marshal could offer leadership to Konrad. I think this makes sense enough, since although Konrad is the overall leader, he is going to be willing to be encouraged/advised in a tactical battle situation by someone who has more experience than him.

David