What campaign did the "Chaos" units first appear in?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gooby

What campaign did the "Chaos" units first appear in?

Post by gooby »

I have vague memories of playing a campaign some years ago with the Chaos units that appear in IftU. There was some sort of prison you had to liberate of its Elvish prisoners and I remember the Elvish Hunter line was very useful for slowing down the powerful guards.

Can't remember the name of that one though, or find it ... I presume it's abandoned?
Dixie

Re: What campaign did the "Chaos" units first appear in?

Post by Dixie »

Or maybe it's mainline and is called "Under the Burning Suns"?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

UtBS doesn't have the Chaos faction in it.... :-?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Chaos faction was from "Extended Era", I think. The era might not have been used as a dependency though, and I don't know how many years back you are going. But that might be a search term that helps you find it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hmmm... Maybe, it is Struggle for Freedom campaign by WYRMY?
If so, it isn't on the current BfW servers. You may have to have BfW 1.6.x (or 1.4.x) to play it AFaIK.
I thought Groggy_Dice updated it to 1.8 server, but it seems I was incorrect...
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:Hmmm... Maybe, it is Struggle for Freedom campaign by WYRMY?
It's possible. I remember as well a scenario exactly as the one described by gooby, although this isn't the first campaign where Chaos units appeared.
doofus-01 wrote:Chaos faction was from "Extended Era", I think.
I think that you're correct. At http://units.wesnoth.org/1.4/C/era_extended_x.34.html we can see that EE on the 1.4 server has Chaos units; also, unlike IftU, EE was available on the 1.2 add-ons server.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

@ Wrathbow: Is that so? I thought there was... Oh well.

Could it be Sojournings of Grog, then? T'was a while since I played it, so I'm not exactly sure...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

From memory the EE actually dated back to the 1.1/1.2 days, but I don't think that the Chaos guys were part of the original release.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

Fortunately, this forum does have a seach feature. Unfortunately, reading this thread it seems to me, it's difficult to use.

Looking for the answer to the question in the thread title:
Searching for chaos faction gives this thread as one of the oldest results. This seems to be the first appearance of chaos units on the forums.
Also in this thread is a reference to the campaign "The Restoration of Wesnoth", which has it's own thread, that can be found by using the search feature. It's the first appearance of the chaos units in a campaign, that I could find with this quick search.

About the Extended Era:
Searching for Extended Era yields this thread. Here you can see that the chaos faction indeed wasn't part of the original release. However, it was in a release two days after the original one (in the 1.1 days).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Duthlet wrote:Fortunately, this forum does have a seach feature. Unfortunately, reading this thread it seems to me, it's difficult to use.
Nah, it's that we read the rest of the original post as well, not just the title.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

doofus-01 wrote:
Duthlet wrote:Fortunately, this forum does have a seach feature. Unfortunately, reading this thread it seems to me, it's difficult to use.
Nah, it's that we read the rest of the original post as well, not just the title.
The rest of the original post being not entirely consistent with the title, doesn't change the title from being a question asked by the op. I tried to answer this one as it is the only question asked by him I can possibly answer. How can I know if he presumes some campaign is abandoned? :P

The other thing I found in this thread was a lot of guessing about EE.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:
doofus-01 wrote:Chaos faction was from "Extended Era", I think.
I think that you're correct. At http://units.wesnoth.org/1.4/C/era_extended_x.34.html we can see that EE on the 1.4 server has Chaos units; also, unlike IftU, EE was available on the 1.2 add-ons server.
The chaos faction isn't from the Extended Era. There's a post about the chaos faction in this thread
Noyga wrote:I believe Neorice is still working on it through he hadn't a lot of time lately.
Alks toook the available graphics and cfg and made a complete early release of the faction.
I took this work, changed a few details and put in in my era, the Extended Era.
Altrough the balance is not perfect, it should be playable.

There would be probably some changes in the official relase (from Neorice), at least an axe thrower unit was planed to replace the marauder i think, and of course, more frames and TC :)
It really doesn't take long to look up the facts. You can avoid confusion by searching and posting what you found out instead of posting what you're guessing, but what might also be wrong.
I don't think it's a big deal though and mean no offense to anyone. If my line that doofus-01 quoted seems too harsh to anyone, I'm sorry.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Dixie wrote:Could it be Sojournings of Grog, then? T'was a while since I played it, so I'm not exactly sure...
No, I don't use Chaos here.
Duthlet wrote:You can avoid confusion by searching and posting what you found out instead of posting what you're guessing, but what might also be wrong.
I don't think it's a big deal though and mean no offense to anyone. If my line that doofus-01 quoted seems too harsh to anyone, I'm sorry.
No offense taken, but you must remember that not everything can be found quickly by a forum search. Sometimes, it takes more than one search.
By the way, if anyone is interested, this is the first post ever where Chaos units appeared: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... os#p103581
Anyway, back to the question: Struggle for Freedom is still available on the 1.6 add-ons server, and was never ported to newer versions. So, if nobody updates it, the only way to play it is by installing Wesnoth 1.6.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
gooby

Post by gooby »

Thanks for the answers.

Sojournings of Grog is a fun campaign as well.