Wesnoth 1.10.5 for iphone/ipad & source code is out now!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

faceleg

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.5 for iphone/ipad & source code is out now!

Post by faceleg »

Has the iOS port been abandoned?
dailin

Post by dailin »

faceleg wrote:Has the iOS port been abandoned?
Of course not,I'm sorry that i'm busy in my job recently.
There are some problems in iOS port. eg. Game text is too small when Wesnoth 1.12 in iphone6(1920×1080). It takes much time to adjust UI, font size and fix bugs. Don't worry, iOS port still moves forward.
paddockmen

Post by paddockmen »

I see that there's a new update coming out soon for the ios version. I'm just wondering about how it is running at the moment.

Is the multiplayer function working properly? I'm wanting to play some team multiplayer games with my friends against randoms. Are you able to do that in BFW ios? Thanks
faceleg

Post by faceleg »

dailin wrote:
There are some problems in iOS port. eg. Game text is too small when Wesnoth 1.12 in iphone6(1920×1080). It takes much time to adjust UI, font size and fix bugs. Don't worry, iOS port still moves forward.
Thanks for your hard work dailin.
faceleg

Post by faceleg »

Has anyone who owns the iOS port played it on an iPhone 6 Plus? If so, how is it?

I have a serious hankering for Wesnoth but given the length of time since the last release, I'm wary of taking the plunge on a 6+
faceleg

Post by faceleg »

Just bought it, looks OK on my iPhone 6+!

Really looking forward to an update lindai!
CitizenPain

Post by CitizenPain »

Hi there,

i hope this is the right place for my problem. I downloaded this game about 9 Months ago and i am really enjoying it. However, after downloading a couple of add-ons the game is not running smoothly anymore. Whatever campaign i am trying to start, i get the same error message on screen. Something about an invalid wml, incuding a message saying sth about the 'fall of wesnoth'. Any clues about what might be wrong?

Thanks
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi All:

Here's some error info from a player using iPhone 6. He is playing my campaign, The Amaranthine Stone, and posted the error to the campaign thread. This is a 'canvas too small for image' error being triggered by one of the wose portraits. I have attached a screenshot of the error. If there is a solution for this, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm sure you can use the data for development.

Thanks
-=FL=-
Attachments
TAS_error_message.PNG
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
dragonage

Post by dragonage »

dailin, any idea when the next update is gonna come? The last one was in december 2013...
can we please get the ability to rename our units?
WesTy_31

Post by WesTy_31 »

Hello, dailin! I just purchased the Iphone version of "Battle for Wesnoth" a few days ago and so far I'm enjoying it. I was unaware a game of this magnitude existed on a touch device! One thing I did notice was that there were a few issues in the "Tutorial" section. In the second portion of the tutorial, when you're fighting the Orcs, there are hints that show on screen to help the player. The issue lies in those "tips" describing PC functions (ex: hover mouse over characters, press "U" to undo, etc.) on a touch device. I'm aware that you're a busy man and there's lots to keep track of with a project this big in scale but if possible, could these issues be corrected in the near future? I've also included screenshots to further help in identifying the problems.

Game build: Version 1.10.5
Note: These were snapshot screens captured from my Ipod Touch (5th gen). Also, apologies in advance for taking up so much forum space. I'm new to this!!
Attachments
IMG_0021.PNG
IMG_0020.PNG
IMG_0019.PNG
IMG_0018.PNG
Axel1602

Post by Axel1602 »

P: Drones

As I understand it, he solution that was suggested was to delete the add-on and reinstall it. It tried this, but the same freezing/crashing problem occurs whenever I fight the drones.

I do have the same problem in various campaigns f.e. After the storm playing on iPad...

Is there a solution yet?
Binni

Post by Binni »

So I think it's quite clear that this is Vaporware. The iOs dev here has not updated in a very, very long time (2 years now) and the latest big update from the regular game is now over a year old.

There are a few questions I have here surrounding this that I hope someone can answer:

- Wesnoth on iOs sells for a Premium price, even though it's a open source game. It's a top 100 regular in Strategy which means it's selling and doing quite ok. Where does this money go? Does it go to the dev who is ignoring the port or does it go somewhere else?

- Related to that question. It has since the beginning felt like subpar port because it's not maintained properly. The control scheme is fine but as you see here there's numerous non-adressed bugs. This would be ok for a game that is open source but since this is a premium priced product on iOs one has to ask if that is the right thing? I'd love to pay quite a bit for a good port but I regret paying for this one.

- Could someone else pick this port up and do the game justice? It's quite clear that it's not in good hands. Bugs aren't adressed and updates do not carry over. Also unclear communication on this forum.

Best Regards,
Binni
RedMoonK

Post by RedMoonK »

dailin wrote:

Question is: WHEN will it Movie forward? I mean i did pay for it, and there wasn't an update since April 2013...
alexrmp

Post by alexrmp »

Hi Lin,
I've been playing Kyle's, and then your port since pretty much day 1 on ios and been lurking on this thread for a while (few years..) now too. Still really greatful for your great port of the game. I'd happily pay for a new iWesnoth 2016 version of it if it meant a proper update (if that even matters).

I understand you might not have time to continue with updating the game anymore, but I have 2 really simple, tiny requests that would help so greatly. They're not feature requests, I promise:
1) Update the game with "itunes file sharing' enabled. After ios 8.3, the save game files (as with all app /document/ data) are unreachable unless the developer enables this. We can't move our saves between platforms anymore until this is enabled. https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... -CH10-SW30 and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4546 ... 81#4546581 will get you there.

2) Upload the full open source, as the github file sets are noted by a few as incomplete. Nobody else can help pick up where you left off without those.
Thanks so much!
alex
ps. I meant what I said about paying for this to be updated, should you care to pick it back up again with updates. (As a wider note, perhaps paid major upgrades are what would have kept the incentive to continuously update this niche app for a small market over time)
Sarcze

Post by Sarcze »

Hello.. I'm just a clueless guy who downloaded Wesnoth on my iPad years ago..
I don't have an Android and Computer/Laptops always break in a month at my hands..
So the only way for me to play Wesnoth is through iOS..

Have you aborted iOS Wesnoth? It will be April 2016 soon.. I don't know much, but 3-4 years without an update is just..
Years, sir.. YEARS. If you really can't do it, please say so.. So I won't hope. :cry: