Wesnoth 1.10.5 for iphone/ipad & source code is out now!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pka4916

Re: Hi,guys, Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is released now!

Post by pka4916 »

How come that I need to buy this game again ??
I bought "Battle of Wesnoth" for the Ipad a long time ago... and now that the name was changed I have to buy this again ???
Why??
dailin

Post by dailin »

Jambo wrote: I'm thinking where the description of the highlighted tile is placed (so the very top right of the game screen)?
Do you mean like KP's ? That's ok.
Dugi wrote:The missing two add-ons are eras, they appear only on the list of eras if you are creating a multiplayer game. Eras are not much useful for single player, focus on campaigns.
Thanks for helping me. :D
dailin

Post by dailin »

pka4916 wrote:How come that I need to buy this game again ??
I bought "Battle of Wesnoth" for the Ipad a long time ago... and now that the name was changed I have to buy this again ???
Why??
Because my apple account is different from KP who seems to abandon ios version in 2 years, i can't help u to update the game from the previous one.
I know your complaint. If your device is jailbroken,you can download ipa.
I am so sorry.i hope my continuous improvement will make you happy.
matthjes

Post by matthjes »

dailin wrote:
pka4916 wrote:How come that I need to buy this game again ??
Why??
Because my apple account is different from KP who seems to abandon ios version in 2 years, i can't help u to update the game from the previous one.
I know your complaint. If your device is jailbroken,you can download ipa.
I am so sorry.i hope my continuous improvement will make you happy.
You don't read this very often: download the ipa if you already own the previous / abandoned version :D

Still, if you are able to provide updates I'm more than happy to give you 4 Euro for that...actually, I already did this :wink:
plamentg

Post by plamentg »

Jambo wrote:You can swipe at edge of screen but it would be more user friendly to be able to swipe from anywhere.
+1. Unlike the PC, the iThing has very limited control options (touchscreen vs. mouse+keyboard) so in order to make the game more playable, some tweaking of the controls is necessary.
Two more things.
1. Attacking an enemy unit from a specific side. In the PC and Kyle version one can choose from which direction to attack. Here, as far as I get it (apologies if I am wrong) you have to move to the desired position first and attack after the move is complete. This is not always an issue, since in some cases one can use the undo option. In foggy or unexplored areas however this cannot be done and a player should constantly turn "delay shroud updates" on and off which doesn't seem like a good idea.
2. Terrain defence. You can only see the defence value of a terrain AFTER you move the unit onto a new tile. In the PC an Kyle versions you see de defence value BEFORE the move takes place which is more convenient, especially for new players. Just a suggestion (no idea about how difficult this is to implement) - the double tap to move from the Kyle version seems quite OK. First tap shows the defence of the selected hexagon, second tap confirms the move. The single tap in your version works fine and works faster, but in some cases it is difficult to make complex attacks.
dailin

Post by dailin »

plamentg wrote:
Jambo wrote:You can swipe at edge of screen but it would be more user friendly to be able to swipe from anywhere.
+1. Unlike the PC, the iThing has very limited control options (touchscreen vs. mouse+keyboard) so in order to make the game more playable, some tweaking of the controls is necessary.
Two more things.
1. Attacking an enemy unit from a specific side. In the PC and Kyle version one can choose from which direction to attack. Here, as far as I get it (apologies if I am wrong) you have to move to the desired position first and attack after the move is complete. This is not always an issue, since in some cases one can use the undo option. In foggy or unexplored areas however this cannot be done and a player should constantly turn "delay shroud updates" on and off which doesn't seem like a good idea.
2. Terrain defence. You can only see the defence value of a terrain AFTER you move the unit onto a new tile. In the PC an Kyle versions you see de defence value BEFORE the move takes place which is more convenient, especially for new players. Just a suggestion (no idea about how difficult this is to implement) - the double tap to move from the Kyle version seems quite OK. First tap shows the defence of the selected hexagon, second tap confirms the move. The single tap in your version works fine and works faster, but in some cases it is difficult to make complex attacks.
Your advice is great,i start to do this as you says.You can find some control improvements next week.
Jambo

Post by Jambo »

dailin wrote:Your advice is great,i start to do this as you says.You can find some control improvements next week.
Awesome! 8)
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Congradulations!! :D
Too bad I don't use Ipad, but I will recommend all my friends to download it. Btw, is it free?
lipk

Post by lipk »

Btw, is it free?
Well, if you checked the first post... :whistle:
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Ugh..."purchase" it? :augh:
All right, after all we could play it by Ipad. Not bad anyway.
kapnbanjo

Post by kapnbanjo »

Hello, first i'd like to start by saying that from the day you posted that it was almost ready, I've been checking everyday for a release. The second I saw it was out i did not hesitate to buy it both on iPad and on iPhone. I've been testing it a lot and it's been great.

One bug i discovered is that in multi-player creation if you click on the player drop down and your finger moves, even a little, sometimes the box will move resulting in a crash. This happens both on local game and server, both iPad and iPhone, screenshot below.
moving box
moving box
Also, for iPhone in multiplayer, I can't find where to put a password.

Lastly is related to the interface issue reported earlier. I am posting a screenshot of basically the same thing both from the old and new iphone version from my iPhone 5. I can get some from another model if needed.
old bfw
old bfw
new bfw
new bfw
There is a lot more info at the top of the screen (6 boxs instead of 5) and more hexs displayed (4x9 instead of 4x7)

I think the next unit from the old one is much easier to use. I'm getting accustomed to using the scroll version on this but the old version was much easier and I still occasionally end up moving units when I didn't want to. If there is not an easy way to clone the old mapping I'll eventually get used to the new version, but the old is a lot smoother. using screen edge is a lot more jerky.

Last is on multiplayer, although you can leave and come back, which makes life so much nicer, on multiplayer I've noticed that if you end your turn, and close sometimes the server never gets the message that the turn ended and it breaks the game. the player who left when they return sees it being the next players turn while everyone else still sees it as the turn for player who closed. In addition, if there was a way to allow for the turns and actions to continue while "closed" and perhaps a notification that it is now your turn, that would make me over the moon happy.

I'll continue to test and notify you of anything else I find.

Thank you for all your hard work.

edit* I forgot one last thing, on the old version, if you clicked the mini-map it would give you a large version of the map, to allow finer control. If it's possible to implement this as well that would be awesome.
dailin

Post by dailin »

Thanks for your advice.
kapnbanjo wrote: One bug i discovered is that in multi-player creation if you click on the player drop down and your finger moves, even a little, sometimes the box will move resulting in a crash. This happens both on local game and server, both iPad and iPhone, screenshot below.
I have tested PC version,it still move,maybe not a bug?
kapnbanjo wrote:Also, for iPhone in multiplayer, I can't find where to put a password.
There are no space to set password panel in my iphone,so i rm it. Ok, i try to get it back.
kapnbanjo wrote: I think the next unit from the old one is much easier to use. I'm getting accustomed to using the scroll version on this but the old version was much easier and I still occasionally end up moving units when I didn't want to. If there is not an easy way to clone the old mapping I'll eventually get used to the new version, but the old is a lot smoother. using screen edge is a lot more jerky.
I start to improve layout and control, new version will release next week,please stay tuned :)
kapnbanjo wrote:Last is on multiplayer, although you can leave and come back, which makes life so much nicer, on multiplayer I've noticed that if you end your turn, and close sometimes the server never gets the message that the turn ended and it breaks the game. the player who left when they return sees it being the next players turn while everyone else still sees it as the turn for player who closed. In addition, if there was a way to allow for the turns and actions to continue while "closed" and perhaps a notification that it is now your turn, that would make me over the moon happy.
Lock screen will close network by ios automatically which will break the game.Jambo had told me about this.After improving layout and control,i will focus on this.
kapnbanjo wrote: edit* I forgot one last thing, on the old version, if you clicked the mini-map it would give you a large version of the map, to allow finer control. If it's possible to implement this as well that would be awesome.
This is maybe low-priority.After finishing some improvements,i try to add the feature.

Thanks again for your advice :D
kapnbanjo

Post by kapnbanjo »

dailin wrote: I have tested PC version,it still move,maybe not a bug?
Should have tested on PC, didn't think to, I will make sure to do so in the future. It doesn't seem to crash the PC version, it just goes back. In your iOS version it crashes the app for some reason. I don't see anyway to send crash logs to help you track down the issue.
However, just being careful seems to be a suitable workaround for me.
dailin wrote: Thanks again for your advice :D
The thanks all go to you, you're a hero in my book for doing this. Anything I can do to help is my pleasure.
I'm gunna get this installed on a 3.5 inch screen device so future feedback can reflect all "three" versions
Don't know if you were planning on posting changelogs for releases or not, but if you do it'll make it easier to provide feedback.
If there is anything in particular you'd like tested let me know, I'll be happy to.
I'll post again if I notice anything else worth mentioning, otherwise I can't wait to test out the next update.
dailin

Post by dailin »

kapnbanjo wrote:Should have tested on PC, didn't think to, I will make sure to do so in the future. It doesn't seem to crash the PC version, it just goes back. In your iOS version it crashes the app for some reason. I don't see anyway to send crash logs to help you track down the issue.
Ok, i reproduce the crash,thank you for your report.
kapnbanjo wrote:The thanks all go to you, you're a hero in my book for doing this. Anything I can do to help is my pleasure.
I'm gunna get this installed on a 3.5 inch screen device so future feedback can reflect all "three" versions
Don't know if you were planning on posting changelogs for releases or not, but if you do it'll make it easier to provide feedback.
If there is anything in particular you'd like tested let me know, I'll be happy to.
I'll post again if I notice anything else worth mentioning, otherwise I can't wait to test out the next update.
Of course i plan to post changelogs.You are so kind, i pm you for detail.
swangdoodles

Post by swangdoodles »

Hi,

It looks good on the iPad. Yet I got a lot of crashes when trying to set up a local multiplayer game. They happen when I try to scroll trough lists and unit choices.

Another question. Is the description in the AppStore correct? The iPod Touch versions 3, 4 and 5 are listed as OK for the app to install. But when I try to install it on my iPod Touch (version 4.2.1) it says it does not work on iPod Touch and fails to install...

SwangDoodles