Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

dailin
Posts: 123
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 8:34 am

Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by dailin »

Hi guys, wesnoth 1.10.4 for ios is nearly complete, the only problem is that even though i can run it, there are still some bugs which shown at the list below that need me to fix. More test and release it next mouth(maybe).

Bug list:
1. Do not support retina.
2. 480 X 320 resolution is too small so that i have to improve layout to fit it.
3. Some crash bugs.
Attachments
IMG_0900.PNG
IMG_0900.PNG (250.84 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
IMG_0897.PNG
IMG_0897.PNG (60.15 KiB) Viewed 3808 times

paradsecar
Posts: 7
Joined: June 26th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by paradsecar »

Will this be available from the App Store or is this for jailbroken iOS devices only?

dailin
Posts: 123
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 8:34 am

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by dailin »

I will release it in the appstore.

User avatar
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2424
Joined: December 15th, 2009, 12:37 pm
Location: Somewhere in the middle of everything

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by artisticdude »

Oooh, me likes this a lot! 8)

I'm not an Apple developer, but I imagine you might run into some trouble getting this into the App Store, given Apple's policy with regard to duplicate apps:
Apps that duplicate apps already in the App Store may be rejected, particularly if there are many of them.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

fabi
Developer
Posts: 1223
Joined: March 21st, 2004, 2:42 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by fabi »

No matter if Apple does not allow duplicate applications the old version should be removed from the store.
It's not maintained anymore and many people feel mistreated when they recognize that it is not complete and has more bugs than features.

User avatar
Iris
Site Administrator
Posts: 6630
Joined: November 14th, 2006, 5:54 pm
Location: Chile
Contact:

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by Iris »

@dailin: Have you asked noy or Dave about this, by the way?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

fabi
Developer
Posts: 1223
Joined: March 21st, 2004, 2:42 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by fabi »

shadowmaster wrote:@dailin: Have you asked noy or Dave about this, by the way?
Well, from a pure legal point of view, it's only necessary to release the modified source code to comply to the GPL.

dailin
Posts: 123
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 8:34 am

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by dailin »

artisticdude wrote:Oooh, me likes this a lot! 8)

I'm not an Apple developer, but I imagine you might run into some trouble getting this into the App Store, given Apple's policy with regard to duplicate apps:
Apps that duplicate apps already in the App Store may be rejected, particularly if there are many of them.
Rename is accepted. May i call it 'Battle For Wesnoth New'? :lol2:
fabi wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:@dailin: Have you asked noy or Dave about this, by the way?
Well, from a pure legal point of view, it's only necessary to release the modified source code to comply to the GPL.
I think so, release and maintain the source code on the github after the app is released. :)

fabi
Developer
Posts: 1223
Joined: March 21st, 2004, 2:42 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by fabi »

dailin wrote:I think so, release and maintain the source code on the github after the app is released. :)
It's nice to hear that the source code will be available.

You might also want to consider patching our codebase (carefully).

If you plan to release Wesnoth 1.12.0 and 1.14.0 for IOS as well,
doing so will surely make your work easier on the long term.

dailin
Posts: 123
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 8:34 am

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by dailin »

fabi wrote:
dailin wrote:I think so, release and maintain the source code on the github after the app is released. :)
It's nice to hear that the source code will be available.

You might also want to consider patching our codebase (carefully).

If you plan to release Wesnoth 1.12.0 and 1.14.0 for IOS as well,
doing so will surely make your work easier on the long term.
Thank you fabi. I'd like to release Wesnoth 1.12.0 or more for ios.
_IPHONEOS_ marco make souce code merge easily,the only problem is to merge low-resolution layout in default.cfg,but i will attempt.
Once WP/BB is supported by SDL, i want to transfer wesnoth to WP/BB. :lol2:

fabi
Developer
Posts: 1223
Joined: March 21st, 2004, 2:42 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by fabi »

dailin wrote:Thank you fabi. I'd like to release Wesnoth 1.12.0 or more for ios.
Cool, I guess you are going to charge some money in return for your work?
I think it would be fair to allow all purchasers of the incomplete 1.6 version a free or shortened update, if that is possible.
Well, not necessarily fair regarding your person but it will keep the users happy.
_IPHONEOS_ marco make souce code merge easily
Sounds practical.
The c++ source code has already several preprocessor scopes to support the different target platforms.
(You know that already, just to inform the rest of the readers.)
, the only problem is to merge low-resolution layout in default.cfg,but i will attempt.
You can go several ways to archive this.

1) Modify the default.cfg to support that low resolution on all targets.
I think this is the preferred way.
The interface is already crippled to some degree when you either go below 1024 in the horizontal,
and/or if you go below 768 in the vertical space.
Adding another step does no harm and is easy to do.

2) You can use the #ifver wml preprocessor command.
Just name your version of Wesnoth 1.10.4ios and check for that version with #ifver.

3) Use the c++ preprocessor with your _IPHONEOS_ macro to make another theme config the default.

I can handle the user interface config for you.
Theme wml is familiar to me,
let's just define how you like your user interface and I do it if you want so.

Or you can just take the one from the 1.6 version :)
I can try to merge it (no idea if the old ios version is special when it comes to the config) with our current one.
Once WP/BB is supported by SDL, i want to transfer wesnoth to WP/BB. :lol2:
Sorry, couldn't get a good google result, is this about blackberry?

User avatar
Sapient
Inactive Developer
Posts: 4453
Joined: November 26th, 2005, 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by Sapient »

Well if you can satisfy both Apple and the GPL then there is nothing to stop you. However, Apple can be fickle so for your own interests I would advise you to consult with Dave to work out an official endorsement. I say this not to discourage you but because there is only so much room in the App Store for Wesnoth, as others have noted. Aside from that, Dave is a friendly and intelligent guy who could probably give you some good advice.

Finally, as a reminder: the forum is not the desired place for discussions of legal concerns (see the posting guidelines for more details). Therefore, dear forum-goers, let us end the discussion of legalities right here and, if necessary, move those to the appropriate channels. Thank you.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."

dailin
Posts: 123
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 8:34 am

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by dailin »

Sapient wrote:I would advise you to consult with Dave to work out an official endorsement. I say this not to discourage you but because there is only so much room in the App Store for Wesnoth, as others have noted. Aside from that, Dave is a friendly and intelligent guy who could probably give you some good advice.let us end the discussion of legalities right here
Thank you Sapient,I follow your advice.
fabi wrote:
Once WP/BB is supported by SDL, i want to transfer wesnoth to WP/BB. :lol2:
Sorry, couldn't get a good google result, is this about blackberry?
Yes, WP = windowsphone, BB = blackberry and thanks for your coding suggestion.

athros
Posts: 1
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by athros »

When you get it up on github, I'd like to help :)

dailin
Posts: 123
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 8:34 am

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.4 for iphone/ipad is nearly complete

Post by dailin »

Oh,so badly , it is only 4 fps in Old_Friend of Northern Rebirth.
athros wrote:When you get it up on github, I'd like to help :)
Thank you.

Locked