How did you find out about Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How did you find out about Wesnoth?

Through a friend
26%
Debian APT or Gentoo Portage
9%
Freshmeat
No votes
Linux Game Tome (happypenguin.org)
7%
SDL home page (libsdl.org)
1%
IceWalkers.com
No votes
MacCentral.com
No votes
Apple.com
3%
Google
13%
Other web site (please specify below)
12%
Through a LUG
No votes
iTunes/iPhone
9%
Other (please specify below)
20%

Total votes: 69

TheJM

Re: How did you find out about Wesnoth?

Post by TheJM »

*pokes his head in*

I read about Wesnoth on Slashdot.. :P
rykus

Post by rykus »

I found out cause I was bored, and had recently moved to Poland, and I left all my games in the states.

I googled something like "free windows games" and found a site that had a bunch of links on it.

Wesnoth is BY FAR the best of any free strategy game I've played. Doesn't help that I really like strategy/rpg games, and one of my all-time favorites was Warsong. I like advancing my troops, and I prefer turn-based to real-time, so that my strategy doesn't rely in part on my reflexes.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

A long time ago, at a computer not so far away, I was somehow or other taken to the Wesnoth website (think it was via Wikipedia, can't really remember). I looked at it and thought 'nah.' It was promptly forgotten.

Not so long ago, at a computer exactly where I'm sitting now, I was once again on Wikipedia, and got taken to the Battle for Wesnoth page, where I thought about it, couldn't make up my mind whether to download or not, and ended up not downloading.

Very soon after, the subject of open-source games was casually brought up whilst in conversation with an acquaintance (who had some interest in coding things, but wasn't as 1337 as we pretended he was). He said 'Play Wesnoth!' And the Not-so-Wonderful Wizard of C++ had spoken.

So yeah, I guess to answer the question, I found out about Wesnoth via Wikipedia (is there any other way to find out about things? I think not.), but it was through a friend I made up my mind. I had not slept nor eaten since then. :lol2:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
sudo

Post by sudo »

I first noticed Wesnoth was available in the games section of the Maemo application download site. After that I kept noticing Wesnoth popping up here and there in some linux package managers and open source searches. Finally downloaded the windows installer to try it out. This is one first class game!
Best Open Source Apps ~ just doing my part...
antti

Post by antti »

I found Wesnoth 0.95 in a computer magazine's CD.
Khaki Koala

Post by Khaki Koala »

Other: jayisgames.com

Was looking for some flash games to play when i found this. It was said to be like Fire Emblem so i downloaded it. 'Cept I like it a lot better than FE!
cobra

Post by cobra »

I just got three people hooked on wesnoth. :D
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
sohir

Post by sohir »

I had recently moved to Sydney, was bored and only had an old laptop. A search for "Free Windows Games" somehow brought me here.

Great game guys. I hope to start MP soon.
Asterix

Post by Asterix »

i was looking for games that had lots of mb (more graphics and generally more fun) and it had to be free ware. i started with 1.2, then after like a year i'm like "they've gotta have updates by now" and i went back on the site and bam, 1.5
Groan

Post by Groan »

I was looking for free mac games on softpedia or softonic (I dont remember now) few years ago. I tried and now I am addicted. I dont live in my country so I play alot with my brother online. He actually give me the great news of his wife being pregnant through the wesnoth ingame chat!!! :D :D :D
Boki

Post by Boki »

Wiki - Wikipedia. I was doing my project for German and i do not know but i got to the site which showed free turn base games he he he lol
lauri143

Post by lauri143 »

I heard about Wesnoth in a University. Now we need to make a new story and programme it 8)
Ocker3

Post by Ocker3 »

slashdot, downloading file now. look forward to installing it once I get home tonight.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Ocker3 wrote:slashdot, downloading file now. look forward to installing it once I get home tonight.
I'm glad to see that we got at least one hit from being slashdotted. :wink:
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Ryochan7

Post by Ryochan7 »

Gentoo Portage. I found Wesnoth by finding out which games were available in Portage back when I used Gentoo.