[History] When was the addon mechanism first added?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BfWEthnographer

[History] When was the addon mechanism first added?

Post by BfWEthnographer »

Hi everyone,

I hope this is not too much off-topic for this section.

Has anyone an idea of when the add-on management system/interface was first added in Wesnoth?
I was interested in this to better understand how the practice of user-made content creation started emerging in Wesnoth

I looked around in the full wesnoth changelog and in the forum, but I could not find a an answer to my question. I also found some very early interviews/reviews about the game, but they were either too early or too 'late'.

thank you!
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: [History] When was the addon mechanism first added?

Post by zookeeper »

Probably in 0.8.5:
changelog wrote:Version 0.8.5:
* campaign server (campaignd) and capability to download campaigns from campaign server(s)
It was called "campaign server" for a long time even though it probably was never limited only to campaigns.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

If I'm not mistaken, originally, the button to access the server was part of the campaign menu itself as well. There was a little campaign shaped button at the bottom of your list of campaigns that said "Get More Campaigns" that would open up the add-on downloader thing.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
BfWEthnographer

Post by BfWEthnographer »

zookeeper wrote:Probably in 0.8.5:
changelog wrote:Version 0.8.5:
* campaign server (campaignd) and capability to download campaigns from campaign server(s)
It was called "campaign server" for a long time even though it probably was never limited only to campaigns.
ah! I see...I was looking for the wrong term!

I found some more information now :) Indeed, it was about mid 2004, and the server was originally limited to campaigns only and soon after extended for other type of content.

Thanks!

Just for the record
Idea: Campaign server
Changes to campaign server
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Hulavuta wrote:If I'm not mistaken, originally, the button to access the server was part of the campaign menu itself as well. There was a little campaign shaped button at the bottom of your list of campaigns that said "Get More Campaigns" that would open up the add-on downloader thing.
This. I remember it, a long time ago. I also remember that it was dominated by a single author, Bob the Mighty. I think 80-90% of add-ons were his.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?