Best and Worst MAINLINE campaigns and scenarios

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Best and Worst MAINLINE campaigns and scenarios

Post by beetlenaut »

Dead Water is supposed to be a hard campaign--it would be listed as expert-level if it didn't have a "Beginner" difficulty. You do have to level your units quickly at the higher difficulties, but that goes for all the harder Wesnoth campaigns. You will probably be surprised at how fast you will be able to level your units after playing for a while.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

beetlenaut wrote:It would be listed as expert-level...
Maybe that's my issue...

EDIT: Turns out, I don't have trouble leveling most units. It's only Mermen.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

My favorite campaign is definitely UtBS. It hits the sweet spot of difficulty and scale, and it has an awesome storyline.
Spoiler:
I dislike DiD and SotBE, because I just have trouble sympathizing with the protagonists. Like, at all. They're probably great campaigns otherwise though....

The least favorite campaign I've finished, however, is probably SoF; all the characters are borderline Stupid Evil, and they get pretty annoying. (Also, am I the only one who wonders why forging takes so stinkin' long?)

Currently I dislike the ending scenario of Hammer of Thursagan, although I guess it's not the worst by a long shot; any scenario in which you spend upwards of 30 turns (out of 60 or 70) just moving your entire army from here to there is ... bad. Very bad. It has a simpler solution than most, I think; splitting it into two parts at the rune teleportation unlock scroll would remove nearly all the tedium.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

My opinion changed. Northern Rebirth is by far, the best campaign that I've played/am playing.

And the best scenario I've played would be 'The Pursuit'. :mrgreen:
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
hrushi

Post by hrushi »

i cant say single campaign is good or bad. Heir to the throne, Descent into darkness, Under the burning suns, Rise of wesnoth ,Son of the black eye are good ones. The Eastern Invasion,Sceptre of Fire, Legend of Wesmere,The Hammer of Thursagan are the ones i hate. Second scenario of Northern Rebirth is the worst scenario. Blood is Thicker than Water,Out Of The Frying Pan from UtBS , Saving Inarix,Clash of Armies from Son of the black eye are the epic ones
Last edited by hrushi on August 19th, 2012, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Afterman

Post by The_Afterman »

Delfador's Memoirs is my favorite Campaign so far.
Least favorite has to be Dead Water right now. Of course thats because I'm stuck on the scenario where 10 level 1 mermen have to kill 500 saurians, on land. :x
Favorite scenario, forgot the name, but in Delfador's Memoirs when he has to go to the dead wasteland and recruit ghosts to his cause.
Least favorite scenario, Hammer of Thursagan's finale. I have 0 healers, and can't even take the first boss, nor touch him. Even on easy. Then by the time I reach the area of the first boss guy, his forces block the entrance and an endless number of reinforcements continue to get in the way and take their place. Very demoralized after reading that that part is only the very beginning of the scenario.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Least favorite scenario, Hammer of Thursagan's finale. I have 0 healers, and can't even take the first boss, nor touch him.
Don't you mean Sceptre of Fire (the campaign where Thursagan appears in person) rather than The Hammer of Thursagan? AFAIK there are no healers in SoF, but in THoT you should have at least one healer in Angarthing (if he's level 3) and you could have white magi if you promoted magi in previous scenarios and they didn't get killed on the way. (And the last scenario in THoT is long enough that you cand level up multiple magi if you're lucky or abuse save/loading.)
The_Afterman

Post by The_Afterman »

I could have swore I had injured units near lvl 3 angarthing and he did nothing @ healing. :hmm:
Guess I'll have to level up a mage or two and use angarthing's healing in the scenario to give me a chance. :)
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I could have swore I had injured units near lvl 3 angarthing and he did nothing @ healing.
Well, he has to be level 3 to heal and even then he heals 4 HP (as opposed to white mage's 8 HP). He can cure poison since level 2 and he also has the inspire ability, which makes him able to lead units of same or lower level (e.g. inspire N = leadership N+1), so putting him next to your units is advantageous regardless of whether he heals. In narrow passages in that scenario you can do suprising damage by rotating your frontline units with Angarthing behind them (though the scenario begins in a hall with enemies coming from sides.).
That said, it brings up an issue with this campaign's heroes. Your designated protagonist Aiglondur is just a dwarvish fighter without any special abilities distinguishing him from your recruitable dwarvish fighters. Meanwhile his sidekick is this unique inspiring slowing healing mage. Interestingly, the second dwarvish campaign has the same issue - in Scepter of Fire the nominal leader is Rugnur, a random dwarvish fighter who just happened to be at the right place at the right time. However, the most important character in the campaign is Thursagan, as he created the titular weapon, is your only unit capable of advancing to level 4 and is even the campaign's image. It must be some dwarvish quirk to have their campaign protagonists be overshadowed by their companions.
Svistwarrior273
Translator

Post by Svistwarrior273 »

My favourite campaigns are SoTBE, Northern Rebirth and Hammer of Tursagan. And i also think that every of Mainline Campaigns is good :D
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

My least favorite scenario is the final level of Descent into Darkness - the whole "fight until you lose" thing was irritating, and Descent into Darkness had a solid ending without that level, with retrieving the book being one of the most fun final battles I've played and establishing reign over some dank cave somewhere and never being seen again a fitting epilogue.

My favorite scenario was early in Under The Burning Suns, dealing with the dehydration mechanic, with the unique day night cycle playing a particularly important role.

As for campaigns, Tale of Two Brother's is my least favorite. It's dull, it was too easy even on the hardest difficulty, and it is just a bit too short.

I can't pick a single favorite. Right now, it would probably be a three way tie between Descent into Darkness, Under the Burning Suns, and Deadwater.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Favourite scenario: The Sceptre of Fire in the Heir to the Throne campaign. Nice randomised underground map. Having been trying to get there on medium difficulty in 1.10 (had previously finished the campaign in 1.8 (at least I think it was 1.8) on medium difficulty) but I'm overprotective of my units still and tend to restart scenarios if certain ones (especially loyals) get killed.

Once I finally do get to it I will actually do an end of scenario save of the previous scenario so that I can keep playing the level again and again with a different map each time!

Favourite campaign: probably The Hammer of Thursagan. By far the easiest mid to long length campaign I have played (despite being classed as intermediate difficulty) and the only one I've even got part way through on hard difficulty (never even tried any of the others on hard difficulty), and probably could have completed it all without too much effort. Favourite scenario in that campaign is probably the last one, I actually completed it in about 250ish turns on medium whereas first time (on easy) it took just over 300 turns!
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Best: Sceptre of Fire.
The story is very nice. Not that the story is flawless, but it is interesting and meaningful, compensating more than enough for some flaws in the story and also in the battles.
The scale of the battles is also more or less reasonable, except the trolls in the volcano could have had some recruitment limit (like 10000 trolls in the field, and no more, only recruiting more if the number of trolls drops below 10000 (or some other reasonable number)).

Worst: An Orcish Incursion.
Not that it doesn't have its good sides, the fights were not bad as I remember them.
The one thing that makes it the worst of them all is the repetitive mention of Rualsha, the name is now chiseled into my brain for years (proof: I still remember that stupid name).
Why would the lowest orc worry about upsetting the highest warlord? Could have mentioned the immediate superior--the commander in the next scenario--instead.
And Rualsha (or better, Plonk the Great Warlord) could have just said "I failed," and this is how the elves would have known they got the final boss.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

That said, it brings up an issue with this campaign's heroes. Your designated protagonist Aiglondur is just a dwarvish fighter without any special abilities distinguishing him from your recruitable dwarvish fighters. Meanwhile his sidekick is this unique inspiring slowing healing mage. Interestingly, the second dwarvish campaign has the same issue - in Scepter of Fire the nominal leader is Rugnur, a random dwarvish fighter who just happened to be at the right place at the right time. However, the most important character in the campaign is Thursagan, as he created the titular weapon, is your only unit capable of advancing to level 4 and is even the campaign's image. It must be some dwarvish quirk to have their campaign protagonists be overshadowed by their companions.
It's easier to relate the everyman (everydwarf) than it is to the runemasters, I guess. Many many many of the good stories that you can really relate to have this feature.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

All right. I really have no idea about which one is "best" or "worst"
GL&HF
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on November 16th, 2012, 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.