New campaign, im new, help

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Laurent

New campaign, im new, help

Post by Laurent »

Hello,

i have a good idea for a campaign but i dont know how to proceed (to make a new era, some new characters and so), coul you give me a few tips ?

Thanks ^^
The_Other

Re: New campaign, im new, help

Post by The_Other »

Read this
Also, look through the files of campaigns other people have made (including the mainline ones that came with the game) - this will help you to understand what files are necessary and what purposes they serve.
Custom units can be easily made by copying any of the core units and modifying the copy. You can do the same with scenarios, but it's usually quite a bit more complex. I would advise you to try it with a scenario that you are very familiar with (IE, you know everything that happens). Tweak some of the code (this will help), then play it again and see how it has changed.
This will really help you in learning how WML works, since rather than just copying code from elsewhere, you will have done something yourself and seen if/how it works - it helps you develop a much better understanding of the process.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Note that although the "WML for Complete Beginners" tutorial The_Other linked to above isn't finished yet, it should be complete enough to get you started. :)

Besides The_Other's suggestions above, you might also try taking a look at the Building Scenarios and Building Campaigns sections on the Create page.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moved from Technical Support, since this doesn’t belong there.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Don't let yourself get discouraged quickly and just get started. All you need is a plain text-editor. If you have a good plot and nothing to far from the mechanics you find in the mainline campaigns, you can make good progress rather quickly.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

I recommend you read and bookmark this.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

The way I got started may not be the best, but what I did was copied a campaign folder, gutted it of everything except what I wanted (the main_cfg, the first scenario, all the folders) and then I simply rewrote the names and dialogues to fit my story. I leaned way too much on copy and pasting, so don't forget to always completely understand a certain code before using it. Once you understand what each tag and function does, than you can quickly write your own without too much doublechecking.
And never forget this wonderful saying: "We shall program in the towns, we shall bugfix in the hills, we shall code on the roads, but we shall never, never, give up."

Good luck! :)
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild