Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alep
Android Port Maintainer

Re: Android support thread

Post by alep »

Boshko wrote:It actually started compiling pretty well (except the notification to better use LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES instead of NDK), until it started working oh hotkeys.cpp file and sudenly crushed and I got this error:

Code: Select all

[armeabi] Compile++ thumb: application <= hotkeys.cpp
jni/../jni/application/src/hotkeys.cpp: In function 'hotkey::hotkey_item& hotkey::get_hotkey(const SDL_KeyboardEvent&)':
jni/../jni/application/src/hotkeys.cpp:852:7: error: 'SDLK_CUSTOM21' was not declared in this scope
make: *** [obj/local/armeabi/objs/application/application/src/hotkeys.o] Error 1
Sorry for that... my mistake.
I've uploaded a patched archive at the same url, and also I'm releasing a new version... you can find sources here (no C++ changes):

http://www.alessandropira.org/wesnoth_a ... -33.tar.gz

Also, if you want to minimize your downloads you can also patch the sources you already have by substituting the file jni/include/SDL_keysym.h with the one you find here:

http://www.alessandropira.org/wesnoth_a ... L_keysym.h
Boshko

Post by Boshko »

Hello again,

I finally managed to build .apk file. After signing it, uploading it to my Nexus 7, and installing it, I tried to run it. I selected file packages to be downloaded (game files, music, languages etc...) on initial dialog window. After that, an error was show in the upper left-hand corner saying: Failed connecting to wesnoth_essential.zip, and then application blocked. Nothing's happening.

:!: EDIT 01: I now realized I just went a full [censored] :D. I realized I have to do a copy of all the ZIP files (essentials etc...) to the requested directory on my tablet internal memory (default: /sdcard/Android/data/it.alessandropira.wesnothpublic/files) from the relevant directory in source package. I did that and even manually directed the path in Game Configuration intro dialog, BUT I still get that error message.

:!: EDIT 02: I just noticed that the game in configuration intro for some reason doesn't accept custom path to files; I have 3 options:
  1. Internal storage
  2. SD card storage (this exists emulated only on my edition of Google Nexus 7, there is no external memory slot, just 16GB of internal memory)
  3. Specify directory
I tried the 3rd option, entered the correct path, but when I hit "OK" the settings get back to the last previous option, either Internal or SD-Card pre-default paths.

Also, I noticed in the intro that it says this is a Trial Edition version which will be shut down after 10 minutes. Will this APK built form source shut down itself after 10 minutes just like the The Battle for Wesnoth Free app available on Google Play store?
tjer

Post by tjer »

I successfully built and installed the APK (see attached build log) by
  • Moving the ZIPs from datafiles directory to assets before building (would be nice if there was a small INSTALL file to mention such traps)
  • Creating an ant.properties file mentioning a keystore for signing the APK
  • adb install bin/MainActivity-release.apk
I started it on my device. It successfully uncompressed the embedded zip-files while I was going through the "Android tutorial".

However, shortly after the progress bar appeared, Battle for Wesnoth segfaulted (see attached log). What is strange, the Battle for Wesnoth Free edition from Play store, does not crash.

Device is Lenovo B8080-F (that's the Yoga 10 HD+ Wifi), CPU Qualcomm APQ8028, Android 4.4.2

I built on a (K)Ubuntu 12.04 system with
  • Android SDK Tools 23.0.2
  • Android SDK Platform-tools and Build-tools 20
  • SDK platforms with API 14 and 19 installed
  • Android NDK version 10
Any ideas what went wrong with my build?
Attachments
build.log.gz
(4.6 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
crash.log.gz
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Boshko wrote:Also, I noticed in the intro that it says this is a Trial Edition version which will be shut down after 10 minutes. Will this APK built form source shut down itself after 10 minutes just like the The Battle for Wesnoth Free app available on Google Play store?
Except for the splash screen, which is taken from the free version, sources are for both the free and the paid version. If you just run the build.sh you'll get the trial that shuts down after 10 minutes. I won't say more about this, but you'll need some work to understand how to build the full version.
ecwild

Post by ecwild »

I just purchased this game yesterday (8/26/2014), and none of the game text is working... all I get is symbols and boxes. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with Android 4.2.1, and the Google Play store says this is version 1.10.7-33
You'll want to look into this, because the game is not playable with this issue.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

ecwild wrote:I just purchased this game yesterday (8/26/2014), and none of the game text is working... all I get is symbols and boxes. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with Android 4.2.1, and the Google Play store says this is version 1.10.7-33
You'll want to look into this, because the game is not playable with this issue.
This problem can be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the app.
Sorry for that... I will try to make the font loading process more stable.
bendur27

Post by bendur27 »

Hello !

My device : Acer Icona A1-810 (Ram : 1Go, processor 4 cores 1.2Ghz)
Android 4.4.2

I first installed the free version.
I could launch and play it without problem, I've finished the tutorial.

I then purchased the full version on google play (about 2 days ago).
The installation seemed to work normally.
But the first launch crashes when trying to connect to data_core_music.tar .
I've seen someone with the same problem in the forum but it was 3 years ago,
he wrote he could make it work by installing the last version of the game,
i think I have the last version, since downloading via Google Play).

Then, if I start again the app after the crash of first start, it crashes immediately

I tried to delete the files of the app, uninstall, reinstall (several times).
Restarted the tablet.
The problem is always exactly the same.

I tried to reinstall the free version, it works normaly.

Any idea where the problem comes from ?
Any idea what I could do ?

Thanks in advance for the help.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

bendur27 wrote:[...]
But the first launch crashes when trying to connect to data_core_music.tar .
[...]
Since in my port I am using zip instead of tar files, I suppose you are using cjhopman's port (the one published by Androthsoft on Google Play).
If so, I can only suggest to try contacting him directly (maybe via Google Play) as he doen't seem to be very active in this forum.
bendur27

Post by bendur27 »

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, you're right. I took for granted that the so called "official version" would be up to date. It's not the case, and I won't pay more for an old version that is not working/supported...
I asked google for a refund (they immediately accepted) and bought your version instead. It's working :).
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

I've finally managed to patch pango font loading code in order to get rid of dynamic modules which are quite a pain on android.
It's an ugly hack, but now I hope I won't hear again about the "squares instead of letters" bug which basically makes the game unusable.

I have released a new version with this fix... sources are available here:

http://www.alessandropira.org/wesnoth_a ... -34.tar.gz

Wesnoth C++ code is unchanged.
caoraivoso3

Post by caoraivoso3 »

I currently have roken my pc and i just havfe my tablet to play wesnoth. The. Question is how, i have an. Androiid and i want to downlad it frely i am trying to get money to buy a new pc. I want to play add ons on wesnoth. It is posible?
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Today Google forbidly suspended my app from Google Play.
They just said it violated this policy:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 6097?hl=en

They didn't told me how or why exactly I violated it, but I suspect that being two BfW apps on the store, they wanted to remove the youngest.
This basically means that the application cannot be downloaded anymore and I won't be able to distribute upgrades (this sadly includes the 1.12 upgrade: I was just waiting the official release to trigger it).
I am really sorry for that, and I have contacted their support through the web form available for contesting the suspension... I hope I will receive good news. :cry:
caoraivoso3

Post by caoraivoso3 »

alep wrote:Today Google forbidly suspended my app from Google Play.
They just said it violated this policy:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 6097?hl=en

They didn't told me how or why exactly I violated it, but I suspect that being two BfW apps on the store, they wanted to remove the youngest.
This basically means that the application cannot be downloaded anymore and I won't be able to distribute upgrades (this sadly includes the 1.12 upgrade: I was just waiting the official release to trigger it).
I am really sorry for that, and I have contacted their support through the web form available for contesting the suspension... I hope I will receive good news. :cry:
Dudr can you help me? I cannot buy the app
wome

Post by wome »

Hello alep,

this is indeed bad news. In fact I did not play anything else on my tablet since I found your port a few months ago - I really like it. I followed this thread for quite a while and I highly appreciate all the time you spend to make this a smasher on android. Thank you for this. I really, really hope that you find a way to relaunch the app (maybe under a different name?). Especially since you mention that you already have new version in the starting blocks.
wrenhal

Post by wrenhal »

This is bad for me as I had purchased from you but recently had to retire my old galaxy tab. I have a replacement, but now I don't have the apk to install. What should I do.

I hope they fix this soon. I mean this is an open source project so there should be no violations.