Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

srulz

Re: Android support thread

Post by srulz »

Your port is awesome alep, THANKS!

Anyway, I've registered on this forum just to feedback to you regarding below:

1. Mouse acceleration setting. Currently the mouse emulation is kinda sluggish on higher resolutions, so I'm forced to revert to 2nd lowest widescreen resolution just due to this issue.

2. Capital letters. On my Galaxy Note, the capital letters cannot be written with in-game keyboard, it just shows something like this: "D" becomes "id", "B" becomes "ib", etc.

3. Resolution setting. Yes, I know that there's already an in-game option, but an out-of-game option would be really nice, especially for those with smaller phones. Quite understandable though if you see this as unnecessary.

Also, maybe you should just make a new thread to promote your version of the android port? By doing that, you can avoid the above case of "which version are you referring to", and more publicity for an up-to-date, addons-enabled, savegames-compatible, properly-scaled, and cheaper version won't hurt either :wink: especially when you consider that other port is woefully out-of-date - last update is Sep 2012 :augh:
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

srulz wrote:Your port is awesome alep, THANKS!
I'm happy you like it.
srulz wrote:1. Mouse acceleration setting. Currently the mouse emulation is kinda sluggish on higher resolutions, so I'm forced to revert to 2nd lowest widescreen resolution just due to this issue.
This is a good point.
Probably the best thing to do is to add mouse acceleration settings so you can choose what is best for your device.
Anyway, I've just released a thing many people asked. Now you can configure the mouse pointer to always stay under the finger, instead of using relative movement. If you have a big screen, or a very precise pointing device (like s-pen, for example), this will speed up the user interface a lot.
Also, this setting can be switched during gameplay by pressing MENU key (if your device has it) or tapping on the screen with three fingers simultaneously.
srulz wrote:2. Capital letters. On my Galaxy Note, the capital letters cannot be written with in-game keyboard, it just shows something like this: "D" becomes "id", "B" becomes "ib", etc.
You're not the first to complain about software keyboards not sending the right keycodes.
Have you tried Hacker's keyboard? It's freely available on google play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oard&hl=it
srulz wrote:3. Resolution setting. Yes, I know that there's already an in-game option, but an out-of-game option would be really nice, especially for those with smaller phones. Quite understandable though if you see this as unnecessary.
I'll take a note on this, but it's a change that will require a patch to BfW sources, and I am trying to keep BfW patches at minimum.
Maybe if many people asks for it...
srulz wrote:Also, maybe you should just make a new thread to promote your version of the android port? By doing that, you can avoid the above case of "which version are you referring to", and more publicity for an up-to-date, addons-enabled, savegames-compatible, properly-scaled, and cheaper version won't hurt either :wink: especially when you consider that other port is woefully out-of-date - last update is Sep 2012 :augh:
Well, when I first searched BfW for android I hit this thread, so I thought this is the right place, because this is where people looking for android ports will go.

Also, since I made many modification to source code I uploaded an up-to-date version here:

http://www.alessandropira.org/wesnoth_a ... 6-7.tar.gz

...no BfW source code modifications since last package, anyway... changes are just Java and SDL side.
srulz

Post by srulz »

And just like that your port is getting better and better, thanks!

Anyway, mind putting out an update through Google Play? I don't know how to compile your source code :lol2:
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

srulz wrote:And just like that your port is getting better and better, thanks!

Anyway, mind putting out an update through Google Play? I don't know how to compile your source code :lol2:
The update is there, it just need some time to spread over all Google Play architecture.
Be patient.
Last edited by alep on August 14th, 2013, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
srulz

Post by srulz »

Okay, just got the update. Unfortunately though, the on-spot mouse emulation didn't work properly for me. The actual mouse is quite far away to the lower right direction of my touching finger.

My phone is Galaxy Note running Android 4.0.4, if that helps.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

srulz wrote:Okay, just got the update. Unfortunately though, the on-spot mouse emulation didn't work properly for me. The actual mouse is quite far away to the lower right direction of my touching finger.

My phone is Galaxy Note running Android 4.0.4, if that helps.
That's because you probably changed screen resolution.
I mean, it's a bug and its' my fault, but it works properly on full resolution.
Anyway, I just published an update on Google Play which should fix the problem. Again, the update will take a little time to reach all devices.
Sorry for that.
srulz

Post by srulz »

So yeah, after giving some time to try the new mouse emulation mode, here's my feedback:

It's great! Mouse movement feels natural and precise, and for mouseover (like to get terrain defense), you can just touch lightly and move around.

Unfortunately, due to my clumsiness, I'm always mis-clicking everywhere, especially when trying to right-click/scroll around with 2 touches. So with great regret I have to revert back to "relative movement".

So, is it possible to have the "mouse acceleration" setting please? :)

p/s: I'm not sure if this is something you can handle as well, but Wesnoth almost always got shut down when I tabbed-out to messaging etc. Is it possible to make it to always stay in background from your side? Make it optional if you wanted, of course.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

srulz wrote:So yeah, after giving some time to try the new mouse emulation mode, here's my feedback:

It's great! Mouse movement feels natural and precise, and for mouseover (like to get terrain defense), you can just touch lightly and move around.
Glad to hear that.
srulz wrote:Unfortunately, due to my clumsiness, I'm always mis-clicking everywhere, especially when trying to right-click/scroll around with 2 touches. So with great regret I have to revert back to "relative movement".
I somehow expected it. :)
BfW is designed for interaction with mouse, which is a very precise pointing device, compared to touchscreens. Also, when you touch the screen you "hide" a part of it from your sight, which can be annoying if the pointer is under your finger.
I definitely prefer relative movement.
srulz wrote:So, is it possible to have the "mouse acceleration" setting please? :)
Ok, on to mouse acceleration.
Right now there already is a little acceleration on pointer, but probably the acceleration parameters are not good for every device. I will allow you to tune them, but it's not something I can do soon. (and by "soon" I mean in a couple of weeks)
srulz wrote:p/s: I'm not sure if this is something you can handle as well, but Wesnoth almost always got shut down when I tabbed-out to messaging etc. Is it possible to make it to always stay in background from your side? Make it optional if you wanted, of course.
Android is weird, compared to traditional OSs, in the way it treats background processes, which can be killed anytime.
There are some tips to tell the system that your process should have higher priority, and I will try to add some of them, but if the system runs out of resources and BfW is in the background, it could be killed anyway.
TitsnRainbows

Post by TitsnRainbows »

Can someone help me, I go to google play and the Battle For Wesnoth app I wanted is by Androth Softworks as I like the touchscreen functions instead of having the mouse and keyboard thing on the other versions. However, it says my device is incompatible with my device and I don't understand why it is.

My phone is the Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 4.2.2.
prqek

Post by prqek »

Hi alep,
thanks, your port is great, no crashed or freezing, so I can play on phone :-) Just one detail - why the app cannot be moved to sdcard? It`s quite big (at least compared to my internal storage size). Could you, please, allow it or is there some serious reason for it?

Thank you
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

prqek wrote:Hi alep,
thanks, your port is great, no crashed or freezing, so I can play on phone :-) Just one detail - why the app cannot be moved to sdcard? It`s quite big (at least compared to my internal storage size). Could you, please, allow it or is there some serious reason for it?
Hello, and thanks for trying my port out... I'm glad you like it!
Unfortunately, there is some serious reason: the game is built into a .so (shared library) file, and Android for security reasons forbids dynamic library loading from sdcard.
prqek

Post by prqek »

Hi,
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I don`t know anything about such limitation, in fact I have several application, which are using jni shared libraries (*.so file) moved on the sdcard. They are on encrypted loop volumes, so there is no security risk. AFAIK this could be simply done by setting android:installLocation="auto" in AndroidManifest.xml - see http://mobile.tutsplus.com/tutorials/an ... o-sd-card/. But I am not too experienced Android developer, so I may be wrong.

Thanks
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

prqek wrote:Hi,
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I don`t know anything about such limitation, in fact I have several application, which are using jni shared libraries (*.so file) moved on the sdcard. They are on encrypted loop volumes, so there is no security risk. AFAIK this could be simply done by setting android:installLocation="auto" in AndroidManifest.xml - see http://mobile.tutsplus.com/tutorials/an ... o-sd-card/. But I am not too experienced Android developer, so I may be wrong.
Yes, I've checked here:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topi ... ation.html

and it seems you are right...library files should be copied to internal space during installation.
I'll just try the option for a while to be sure it won't break anything before publishing it.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

alep wrote:Ok, on to mouse acceleration.
Right now there already is a little acceleration on pointer, but probably the acceleration parameters are not good for every device. I will allow you to tune them, but it's not something I can do soon. (and by "soon" I mean in a couple of weeks)
Mouse acceleration is now configurable by tapping on the "change configuration" button that shows up for a few seconds on app startup.
prqek

Post by prqek »

alep wrote:
Yes, I've checked here:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topi ... ation.html

and it seems you are right...library files should be copied to internal space during installation.
I'll just try the option for a while to be sure it won't break anything before publishing it.
Great, thanks :)