Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alep
Android Port Maintainer

Re: Android support thread

Post by alep »

I've just published the 1.12.0 apk on SourceForge.
This means that right now anyone can download and play 1.12.0 on android with no need to build it.
Website is always the same: http://wesnoth-on-android.sourceforge.net/, there you'll find the link to SourceForge download area.
Have fun!
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey,
I've tried installing the 1.12 version on my samsung galaxy s2 with android 4.1.2. I've installed it, then it tells me to choose what packages to install. I choose the core, campaign, music and translation package, choose to install it on my external sd card (which has enough memory).
the it goes back to the main screen, tells me it's cleaning folders and goes dirtectly back to my app drawer without any error message. If i try to start the game again it tells me to change my configuration but I don't know what I should change.
Any help?
thanks

Edit:
I had to reset my phone over christmas and now its working. Must have been a problem with my phone. Thank you for the great port. This was a really nice christmas present :D
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Paulomat4 wrote:Edit:
I had to reset my phone over christmas and now its working. Must have been a problem with my phone.
Ok, well, happy to hear that (and sorry for getting late on your post).
If anybody else is having similar problems, keep in mind that installing to a custom folder right now does not create the starting folder, so you have to do it manually before starting the download process.
However, I recently noticed that due to a permission change on Android Kitkat, folders inside sd card are accessible only to the software that created them (?!?). So unless you have a rooted phone right now you can only install to default location.
Sorry for that, I will fix the code and make it create the starting folder.
jboadas

Post by jboadas »

I have a question, Just download "wesnoth_essential-1.12.0.zip" can I copy this file to my SD and install it offline, Im asking because my wifi is very slow and installing from my tablet is very slow, thanks
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

jboadas wrote:I have a question, Just download "wesnoth_essential-1.12.0.zip" can I copy this file to my SD and install it offline, Im asking because my wifi is very slow and installing from my tablet is very slow, thanks
Yes, you can put it into /sdcard/. The game will then unpack that instead of downloading.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Just a few days after PC version is released, 1.12.1 is available for Android too.
Apk and sources can be found here:

http://wesnoth-on-android.sf.net

If you are upgrading an existing 1.12.0 installation, the app will upgrade data folder on first startup. During this process, if you have the translation package installed you'll need to be connected to internet as around 27MB will be downloaded to patch that, otherwise it will be removed (but can be installed again later on [*]).

Fresh new installations work as usual, by downloading all the packages you choose to install on startup.

[*] just start the app, tap on "Change configuration", pick "Select packages to download" and check translation package again. Then go back and tap on "Start".
NaughtHere

Post by NaughtHere »

I'm using the latest version on my HTC One m8, and none of the buttons on the main menu do anything. It's not just a matter of them being small, as I've remotely controlled my phone with teamviewer from my PC, and gotten the exact same result.

Is there anything I can do?
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

NaughtHere wrote:I'm using the latest version on my HTC One m8, and none of the buttons on the main menu do anything. It's not just a matter of them being small, as I've remotely controlled my phone with teamviewer from my PC, and gotten the exact same result.

Is there anything I can do?
If you did not touched anything in the configuration, tapping anywhere (even on buttons) sends the "click" to where the mouse pointer is.
You'll need to swipe your finger on the screen to move the pointer (like you would do on a laptop's touchpad) and when the pointer is on a button tap anywhere on the screen to send a left button click to the application.
However, if you tap on "Change configuration" button on startup you can change mouse emulation mode to "pointer follows finger" mode, which works as you probably are expecting now...
NaughtHere

Post by NaughtHere »

alep wrote:If you did not touched anything in the configuration, tapping anywhere (even on buttons) sends the "click" to where the mouse pointer is.
You'll need to swipe your finger on the screen to move the pointer (like you would do on a laptop's touchpad) and when the pointer is on a button tap anywhere on the screen to send a left button click to the application.
However, if you tap on "Change configuration" button on startup you can change mouse emulation mode to "pointer follows finger" mode, which works as you probably are expecting now...
Thanks! I didn't see the cursor because it was small, but I was able to change the resolution now and it works great!
valikan_cz

Post by valikan_cz »

Hi alep,
thanks for your great work with Battle for Wesnoth for Android!
but
Can you give support for the mouse as a mouse?
The game works well, but lacks support for OTG mouse (left, right button, wheel too as on PC). Then it will be perfect.

Thanks.
Rahab

Post by Rahab »

Hi Alep,

I really appreciate your effort. I had bought the other version on Google Play, but I think yours is much more modern.
I do not think your version uses the Google Services, right?
I have at this moment difficulty using your Wesnoth.
I have installed the relase 1.12.1-37 on Blackberry Passport. It came to the initial menu screen. Here the tips of the 'book of Wesnoth' run regularly, but I could not select any menu on the right: I have the impression that the Passport has the best form factor of the screen to play, but it is affected by too much resolution (1440x1440 dpi ). The menu icons are very small and I can not select them .
I deleted that version ... otherwise I would have captured a screenshot.
I now try to install version 1.12.0-36 that I seem lighter and I hope it is perhaps more compatible.
Here it has given me the opportunity to choose the resolution of the screen, but when I confirm the choice (1400x1400), the program closes itself. Wicth is maximum resolution that has been tested on the program ?
Actually, this version 0-36 does not get to the menu : it closes as soon as it is initialized , regardless of the resolution
Do you think it is possible for me make it working? In next versions do you considered developing also keeping in mind the terminals Blackberry?
Do you think that exist an other your versione that i can try on Passport?

Thanks,
Rahab

P.S: I can't program, but ... it's necessary, I can make run some version for the development. 8)
P.S: So far I have tried to make the program work installing extensions to the SD card ; But normally BB 10.3 only accepts programs in internal memory, so now I'll try that.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

valikan_cz wrote: Can you give support for the mouse as a mouse?
The game works well, but lacks support for OTG mouse (left, right button, wheel too as on PC). Then it will be perfect.
I admit I never tried it, but I received feedbacks indicating that if you use "pointer follows finger" mode, game is quite enjoyable with a mouse: left and right buttons should work ok. No wheel or middle button, however.
Am I wrong? What's your experience?
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Rahab wrote: I do not think your version uses the Google Services, right?
Right.
Rahab wrote: I have installed the relase 1.12.1-37 on Blackberry Passport. It came to the initial menu screen. Here the tips of the 'book of Wesnoth' run regularly, but I could not select any menu on the right: I have the impression that the Passport has the best form factor of the screen to play, but it is affected by too much resolution (1440x1440 dpi ). The menu icons are very small and I can not select them .
Which mouse emulation mode are you using?
Please make sure you've read this post:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=277

Also, you can tap on "Change configuration" button on startup, pick "Startup options" check "Set custom display resolution" and select a lower resolution. This will make buttons and fonts bigger.
Rahab wrote: I now try to install version 1.12.0-36 that I seem lighter and I hope it is perhaps more compatible.
I don't think so. Port code changes between the two releases is just minor bugfixing.
Rahab wrote: Here it has given me the opportunity to choose the resolution of the screen, but when I confirm the choice (1400x1400), the program closes itself. Wicth is maximum resolution that has been tested on the program ?
Actually, this version 0-36 does not get to the menu : it closes as soon as it is initialized , regardless of the resolution
Do you think it is possible for me make it working?
You uninstalled and reinstalled, right? Older release re-downloaded data files on first startup, right? You are not using 1.12.1-37 datafiles on 1.12.0-36, right?
I suggest to tap on "Change configuration" button on startup, pick "Startup options" and check "Clean installation folder". Or, even better, switch back to 1.12.1-37.
Rahab wrote: In next versions do you considered developing also keeping in mind the terminals Blackberry?
I'm not testing on Blackberry, however, that's not the only existing device with that screen resolution. As I said, try to configure a lower resolution.
If this post does not solves your problems please contact me privately.
Rahab wrote: Do you think that exist an other your versione that i can try on Passport?
No, 1.12.1-37 is the one you should use.
Rahab

Post by Rahab »

Thanks but... maybe do you have another mirror for download ?
I try from yesterday: I'm on 4 try but it stop almost always on same point (only one time at second step).

alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Rahab wrote:Thanks but... maybe do you have another mirror for download ?
I try from yesterday: I'm on 4 try but it stop almost always on same point (only one time at second step).
Download is hosted on sourceforge, which has a lot of mirrors around the world.
Please check that:

- you have enough space on the device
- your internet connection is stable

Also, you can try downloading data files manually and put them on the device into /sdcard/ or /mnt/sdcard/