Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wrenhal

Re: Android support thread

Post by wrenhal »

alep wrote:Today Google forbidly suspended my app from Google Play.
They just said it violated this policy:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 6097?hl=en

They didn't told me how or why exactly I violated it, but I suspect that being two BfW apps on the store, they wanted to remove the youngest.
This basically means that the application cannot be downloaded anymore and I won't be able to distribute upgrades (this sadly includes the 1.12 upgrade: I was just waiting the official release to trigger it).
I am really sorry for that, and I have contacted their support through the web form available for contesting the suspension... I hope I will receive good news. :cry:
Could it have something to do with the fact that you both had the same icon? Once again, it's open source so there is no impersonation going on. Besides, does he even support his version anymore?

Edit:
After reading more, he calls his "The Official Port". I think that is the problem and someone may have reported you for not being " official " while not understanding the whole open source thing. Besides, how can his be official when it is no longer updated ?
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Ok, bad news: Google is not willing to re-enable my app.
I'm really upset about this... I don't think it's about just the icon (which, by the way, I would have gladly changed if they'd just bothered to ask).
And I don't think it's a open source related matter... it's a Google Policy violation matter, as in their policy they say:
Google wrote: Even if your app description states that your app is an "unofficial" version, the use of the other app's branding, trademarks,
and other content still can violate policy by presenting content that isn’t yours.
...and I clearly cannot prove that I own the game, since I don't. But I am wondering what happens if you apply the same rule to, for example, a chess game app. Could anybode prove he owns chess?
Anyway, they never bothered to contact me or take a real look into the question... I just received automatically generated messages and I feel they just don't want two BfW apps on the store and want no discussion about this.

So.... what next?

I still want to distribute my port, specially to people who supported me by buying the game, but right now I am trying to reorganize, so be patient and keep an eye on this forum and on my website http://www.alessandropira.org/ (and if you bought the app keep Google Play's transaction ID).

Also, after 1.12 is out I will release the 1.10 app for free.

Until a few days ago, I was planning to do it on Google Play (adding new a "BfW legacy" app) but right now I don't want to face another app removal.
So, since I have traffic limitations on my website, I am looking for a place to put the download on.
Can it be hosted on BfW sourceforge space? If anyone is willing to help or has any suggestions about this, please contact me.
quadpl_03

Post by quadpl_03 »

Have you, by any chance, talked with the Wesnoth devs about removing their outdated Android app from the market? If they aren't going to keep it updated, then it isn't going to be very useful since it won't be compatible with the versions running on PCs. If they were to remove it, Google may allow you to upload your version back on the market.
johndh

Post by johndh »

alep wrote: ...and I clearly cannot prove that I own the game, since I don't.
According to the GPL you kinda do. Every user has the same ownership as any of the developers. :hmm: You explained the licensing to them, right?
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
wrenhal

Post by wrenhal »

alep wrote:Ok, bad news: Google is not willing to re-enable my app.
I'm really upset about this... I don't think it's about just the icon (which, by the way, I would have gladly changed if they'd just bothered to ask).
And I don't think it's a open source related matter... it's a Google Policy violation matter, as in their policy they say:
Google wrote: Even if your app description states that your app is an "unofficial" version, the use of the other app's branding, trademarks,
and other content still can violate policy by presenting content that isn’t yours.
...and I clearly cannot prove that I own the game, since I don't. But I am wondering what happens if you apply the same rule to, for example, a chess game app. Could anybode prove he owns chess?
Anyway, they never bothered to contact me or take a real look into the question... I just received automatically generated messages and I feel they just don't want two BfW apps on the store and want no discussion about this.

So.... what next?

I still want to distribute my port, specially to people who supported me by buying the game, but right now I am trying to reorganize, so be patient and keep an eye on this forum and on my website http://www.alessandropira.org/ (and if you bought the app keep Google Play's transaction ID).

Also, after 1.12 is out I will release the 1.10 app for free.

Until a few days ago, I was planning to do it on Google Play (adding new a "BfW legacy" app) but right now I don't want to face another app removal.
So, since I have traffic limitations on my website, I am looking for a place to put the download on.
Can it be hosted on BfW sourceforge space? If anyone is willing to help or has any suggestions about this, please contact me.
I think you do have recourse. Especially since his also just a port and no longer maintained. Maybe the bfw devs can make you the official port. I did find the apk on a nook I had shelved so I can play again for now.
Last edited by wrenhal on October 21st, 2014, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
caoraivoso3

Post by caoraivoso3 »

Will you release the port for free? I get my tablet and right now my computer is broken so i really wana play my favourite game on my tablet
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

quadpl_03 wrote:Have you, by any chance, talked with the Wesnoth devs about removing their outdated Android app from the market? If they aren't going to keep it updated, then it isn't going to be very useful since it won't be compatible with the versions running on PCs. If they were to remove it, Google may allow you to upload your version back on the market.
It's not 'ours'. It belongs to a previous porter who has gone missing quite some time ago IIRC.
I've poked some people on IRC and maybe "Wesnoth Inc" (which probably has the best chances of 'representing' the project) may be able to do something about it.
wrenhal

Post by wrenhal »

AI wrote:
quadpl_03 wrote:Have you, by any chance, talked with the Wesnoth devs about removing their outdated Android app from the market? If they aren't going to keep it updated, then it isn't going to be very useful since it won't be compatible with the versions running on PCs. If they were to remove it, Google may allow you to upload your version back on the market.
It's not 'ours'. It belongs to a previous porter who has gone missing quite some time ago IIRC.
I've poked some people on IRC and maybe "Wesnoth Inc" (which probably has the best chances of 'representing' the project) may be able to do something about it.
That's great to hear that someone is trying to help Alep out with this problem. Looking forward to hearing more updates.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

AI wrote:It's not 'ours'. It belongs to a previous porter who has gone missing quite some time ago IIRC.
Well, thank you very much. Any help will be appreciated.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

I have created a page on my website where, if you have Google Play transaction ID, you can download the apk (which is currently the same there was on Google Play, so 1.10.7):

http://www.alessandropira.org/bfw_android/get.html

Also, as a small way to say I'm sorry for the app removal, I've also put there a small "extra" which has never been available on Google Play: the apk for the current development version, which is also the first release candidate for 1.12.
Sources for that are available on request; contact me if you are interested.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

If you can't resolve this with Google, maybe https://f-droid.org/ and asking for donations could be a solution in the long run.
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

alep wrote: Also, as a small way to say I'm sorry for the app removal, I've also put there a small "extra" which has never been available on Google Play: the apk for the current development version, which is also the first release candidate for 1.12.
Thanks for this, and you can ignore the email I sent you about the missing program.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

GunChleoc wrote:If you can't resolve this with Google, maybe https://f-droid.org/ and asking for donations could be a solution in the long run.
Thanks for the tip. I still don't know how I'm going to distribute (suggestions like this one are very welcome), but somehow I'll find a way.
wrenhal

Post by wrenhal »

alep wrote:I have created a page on my website where, if you have Google Play transaction ID, you can download the apk (which is currently the same there was on Google Play, so 1.10.7):

http://www.alessandropira.org/bfw_android/get.html

Also, as a small way to say I'm sorry for the app removal, I've also put there a small "extra" which has never been available on Google Play: the apk for the current development version, which is also the first release candidate for 1.12.
Sources for that are available on request; contact me if you are interested.
Thanks. Just got my copies.
Llewoj

Post by Llewoj »

Aw crap! And I was planning to get his for X-mas too once I get my new tablet. D: