Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AI
Developer

Re: Android support thread

Post by AI »

alep wrote:I have released a 1.10.7 upgrade on Google Play.

Source code is available here:

http://www.alessandropira.org/wesnoth_a ... -10.tar.gz
I've merged the update into the git branch. The only merge conflict I had to deal with was the version number. ;)
clmates

Post by clmates »

Hi

I have installed today the demo version on a Samsung galaxy tab 2. Android version 4.0.3 and I can play but keyboard is not working. It seems to type, but no letter is written on the screen. So I can't login to the multiplayer server with my name or use chat.

For the rest, it seems perfect to me.

Congratulations for the perfect port
Best regards

clmates
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

shogi4fun wrote:I hope you understand all (three variations and two ideas) what I'm speaking about.
Maybe you'll have again a better solution, like you have before (about "very-close-tap", still needs proofment). :wink:
I think I understood what you are speking about, but please wait for the next release (which will be out soon).
I will add the "very-close-tap" management, and in pointer follows finger mode the 2nd finger tap will also move the pointer under the 1st finger... this way to left-click an unit you:

- tap down on it
- tap and release the 2nd finger

...that's it.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

clmates wrote:Hi

I have installed today the demo version on a Samsung galaxy tab 2. Android version 4.0.3 and I can play but keyboard is not working. It seems to type, but no letter is written on the screen. So I can't login to the multiplayer server with my name or use chat.

For the rest, it seems perfect to me.

Congratulations for the perfect port
Hello,
if you are using my port please try Hacker's Keyboard, a software keyboard freely available on Google play.
clmates

Post by clmates »

Hi Alep

yes, I'm testing your port.

I tried now with the hackers keyboard, now I can write, but a strange thing happens when I want to type a High Caps letter , as an example if I try to write a T it writes 't so I can not type my password in order to login with my user as I have some caps in it

the most strange is that this only happens in wesnoth, If I use the hackers keyboard out of wesnoth, it writes fine

Any clue to solve this?

Thanks
Best regards

clmates
hmagnum

Post by hmagnum »

What model is your device? Motorola Razr I
What version of Android is it running? 4.1.2
(Not sure if I should post this here but here it goes)
Complete description of problem you’re having. Can't buy the game(I don't have credit cards ans such) so I downloaded the free version and copied the data files to the game folder but it stills asks me to buy the complete game from the store, even after having all sounds, images, and campaign files required (Someone mentioned it is possible to do this, and it works)

Thanks for the help!
shogi4fun

Post by shogi4fun »

alep wrote:- tap down on it
- tap and release the 2nd finger

...that's it.
Fine - thanks. :D
clmates wrote:I tried now with the hackers keyboard, now I can write, ...
Strange - how??? :shock:

I also have a Samsung Galax Tab 2, but the keyboard didn't appear, also I've tested Hackers Keyboard (and 3 others I prefere).

A workaround: I remember a similar problem about ScummVM (it needs a longpress on the menu-button, but newer models haven't any menu-button). There was a simplay application which displays the keyboard and you have to call this special app with a launcher. Unfortunately I don't remember the page and even can't find it, now. :cry:

But nevertheless a workaround would be a very bad idea, when this project is still working on. :wink:
shogi4fun

Post by shogi4fun »

shogi4fun wrote:
clmates wrote:I tried now with the hackers keyboard, now I can write, ...
Strange - how??? :shock:
Found the option "use permanent notification" with which I can do it. :)
(Nevertheless would be better to open every keyboard without any other software.)

At this time, I'm also not able writing uppercase letters.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

shogi4fun wrote:At this time, I'm also not able writing uppercase letters.
Ok, ok... I am sorry, but I never checked symbols and shift management, basically because... I never use those while playing and I figured out they won't be so important.
My fault.

Now I checked keyboard event generation code (which I inherited from libsdl-android port) and I discovered that it does not handle correctly unicode mappings, which wesnoth uses in text boxes.
So, for now, since I also have to release the fixes to pointer management we have discussed, I just fixed upper case character management and I released a new version.
Some keyboard symbols may still not work properly.

In this release I have also added the near-pointer-tap management (which, apart from menu selection, makes double clicking easier also), and fixed pointer placement on 2nd finger tapping in pointer follow finger mode (so you can quite easily right-click on your unit).

Up-to-date source code is here:

http://www.alessandropira.org/wesnoth_a ... -15.tar.gz

Just a last word about software keyboard support... I know that having to install Hacker's Keyboard is not a perfect solution, but I really cannot support every kind of proprietary keyboard, since they differ a lot in the way they handle scancodes.
So I thought that it would be best to have a reference software keyboard which anyone can install. Hacker's Keyboard is quite a good choice, because it includes all the keys you have in a PC keyboard and lets you do things like CTRL+S, arrows, etc... which wesnoth uses.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Update committed to git.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

This would probably mess a lot of people up, but could platform specific threads, both Android and iOS related, be moved to technical support? I feel User Forum is more broad than a specific OS (plus it's annoying that most recent threads are in these 2 topics, as opposed to "using" Wesnoth in a general sense).
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

We feel that these threads get better traffic here.
shogi4fun

Post by shogi4fun »

First impressions: very good !!!
alep wrote:Just a last word about software keyboard support... I know that having to install Hacker's Keyboard is not a perfect solution, but I really cannot support every kind of proprietary keyboard, since they differ a lot in the way they handle scancodes.
Oh, I didn't thought that there would be different handling for each keyboard.

Nevertheless, it seems I missed the option in your app to display the keyboard. With this I have also no problems with any other keyboard, also uppercase works with all.
So I thought that it would be best to have a reference software keyboard which anyone can install. Hacker's Keyboard is quite a good choice, because it includes all the keys you have in a PC keyboard and lets you do things like CTRL+S, arrows, etc... which wesnoth uses.
So for wesnoth it's okay (I'm not sure if I would need CTRL or anything else, because all could be done by menus).

Only for informations:
on my phone (I believe 4") it was not easy (comfortable) to write, probably because my fingers are more thick. :roll:
Then I found a keyboard, where you have only a vew big buttons and you have to swipe for other letters.

When I owned also a tablet, I thought it could be a good idea to use the same keyboard to stay practicing, even on the big tablet there shouldn't be any problems with "normal" ones.
After that I recognized, that's even a very good thing, that the keyboard hides only a very little part of the background: :D
Keyboard.jpg
kuhy

Post by kuhy »

Please help! I have a answer: how to compile android port source code to apk? I want modify it.... :wink:
Woodinator

Post by Woodinator »

Hi,
1) I m in samsung galxy tab 3 10.1
2) IOS 4.2.2
3) I m french but i ll do my best in english ;-). I installed the free alep's version to test the game on tablet. Everythink s ok but when i launch the game i can t read anything: i got many little square for each caracters. I can launch game (i know where is start cause of pc version) and read everything in the chat. When i launched the tutorial, i can t read anything in game, but tips with the loading are ok. I installed the langage pack with the game cause if i need to put it in french for my son.
I hope you understand my problem, thanks for help!