Timeline of UMC Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Timeline of UMC Wesnoth

Post by Groggy_Dice »

I have been compiling a timeline of the UMC campaigns, supplementing the canon timeline on the wiki. Although I am not done yet, I am going ahead and attaching my rough draft. I will replace it with new versions as my work progresses.

What's left? I still need to go through the campaigns for 1.0 and 1.4, and place them on the timeline. I want to go back to some of the campaigns that I wasn't able to date, and see if I can figure out when they took place. And I'll have to clean up my HTML and make the file presentable.

Note that this list includes campaigns that are abandoned, incomplete, low-quality, and contradictory to canon (and other UMC, of course). It's also impossible to exactly date many campaigns.

EDIT: fourth version Still doesn't include new campaigns, but adds author and scenario count. Author helps provide continuity context, as authors often make their campaigns as a series.
umctimeline.7z
UMC Timeline - fourth rough draft
(25.93 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
umctimeline.7z
UMC Timeline - third rough draft
(18.88 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
umctimeline.7z
UMC Timeline - second rough draft
(15.9 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
umctimeline.7z
UMC Timeline -rough draft
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Last edited by Groggy_Dice on December 5th, 2012, 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
SkyOne

Re: Timeline of UMC Wesnoth

Post by SkyOne »

Nice. :D Thank you so much for heading up, Groggy_Dice.
Maybe, you have referred it already, but this Turuk's list may help you? : http://wiki.wesnoth.org/List_of_campaigns

Oh, you are the one who updated The Eight of Cembulad.
Thank you again.:)

EDIT:
My personal opinion:
I think the links to download each one are not really necessary because we have already had one, Index of Addons.

My personal request:
The time on Fate of a Princess campaign is from the end of 199YW to 238YW. :)
(well, the last battle is in 237YW. Its epilogue is just a few time later from the battle, in my set-up.)
On scenario 22b:
Spoiler:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

SkyOne wrote:Nice. :D Thank you so much for heading up, Groggy_Dice.
Maybe, you have referred it already, but this Turuk's list may help you? : http://wiki.wesnoth.org/List_of_campaigns
I've seen it before, but I didn't use it for this list. My list is based on the indexes of addons.
SkyOne wrote:Oh, you are the one who updated The Eight of Cembulad.
Thank you again.:)
You're welcome :)

EDIT:
SkyOne wrote:My personal opinion:
I think the links to download each one are not really necessary because we have already had one, Index of Addons.
Well, it's just a slight convenience, for those who may want to download directly from the list. Since I used those indexes to draw up my list, it wasn't that much more trouble to move the URL than it would have been to strip it out.
SkyOne wrote:My personal request:
The time on Fate of a Princess campaign is from the end of 199YW to 238YW. :)
(well, the last battle is in 237YW. Its epilogue is just a few time later from the battle, in my set-up.)
Well, I was more concerned with start dates than end dates; and Fate is unusual in covering such a long span of time. Wesnoth has a lot of one-year wars. :lol2: Also, I got the impression that while the introduction started in 199, the "action" didn't start until 200.

And, as everyone can see, I've uploaded the second draft, completing my first pass-through of all the campaigns.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

What application did you use to open the file? I get a gibberish file, when I open with TextEdit
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:What application did you use to open the file? I get a gibberish file, when I open with TextEdit
Google "7zip"
Ports:
Resources:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

@Groggy_Dice: Thank You. I couldn't find "7zip" for Mac OS X, so I used "Keka" instead.

And about the storyline (on my campaigns) The GLE campaigns (The Invincible Wall, The Rise of Genesis and Fall of Knightmare) all take place before Wesnoth was ever founded, so they should be at the BW list.

The Wesfolk Prince is in its correct position.
The Tale of Crelanu is after TRoW and before Founding of Alduin Isle.
And Thank You for making this HTML page, I hope this makes a link in the wiki.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

If you're wondering where The Unstoppable Legion fits into this, I deliberately didn't set this in Wesnoth because there's only so many invasions of seemingly invincible armies one kingdom can have before it gets a bit crowded.

I nominally put Suveran to the west of the Green Isle. The unspecified backstory is that when the orcs grew powerful on the old continent, the Wesfolk fled to the west and east. The eastern refugees ended up on the Green Isle and stayed roguish and Wesfolkish. The western refugees settled down better and eventually set up a human kingdom similar to Wesnoth, but contact between the two remains minimal.

The only continuity reference I put in is a port called Burinsbay. This is named after Burin the Lost, who landed there on his trek around the world.

Also, the introduction mentions Wesnoth as a kingdom they say on the other side of the world, so the date needs to be any year whilst Wesnoth existed.

Other than that, it can really be put anywhere that suits any other campaign.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Given that the list includes my campaign (Inky's Quest) in the "indeterminate" section I might specify that it is supposed to take place sometimes between TRoW and SoF. The kingdom of Wesnoth already exists, but the main villain is a disciple/fanboy of Jevyan from TRoW. He is a lich so he could hide for unknown time, but he is also too stupid to survive for long (he gets defeated by molluscs after all). Also I use a dwarvish runemaster at some point and THoT mentions that they all died when Thursagan did (i.e. the end of SoF). That said the dwarf is not important for the plot and might be changed. Anyway, I didn't bother with making up a precise date as my campaign already has talking cuttlefish and a Pacific ocean-style archipelago near Wesnoth coast, so adhering to Wesnoth's canon history wasn't a high priority. However, the timeline mentions that it includes non-canon and low-quality campaigns too, so my campaign isn't out of place on that list.